It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name a couple foods that are tasty, and that you can use in a grab n go emergency.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
You know I went camping. And this girl all she did was buy 1 big colly flower. And she ate that all weekend. And it looked so good compared to all the crap I bought that I ended up asking her for some, in exchange for some of my crap. So I really like colly flower, it's like the perfect food if you just want to grab 1 healthy thing and eat that over a course of a week or so.

Describe a few healthy foods that are similiar in nature that we can consider. Like if we dont' want to pack a big cooler of food. We're going somewhere for a weekend or a week, and we just want to grab a few things that don't require any preparation or cooking and that are still nutritious, tasty and healthy, what do you suggest???

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Corned Beef- Rice and Tomatoe

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Nuts and dried fruit. I like almonds and dried mangoes, cashews and dried pears.
Never tried a collie flower, but apples are good to grab and go. Skin sticks in your teeth, however.

edit on 28-6-2013 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
watermelon -- cause it contains alot of water, is tasty, has several vitamins and minerals. also it keeps you from being dehydrated and comes in its own container and can stay out of a fridge for days. you can cut a wedge out of it, and the rest of it will still be safely protected from the environment. if you're diabetic though, you don't want to eat alot of it in a day. in fact, it's very high in fruit sugar.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
As has been said
Dried fruit and nuts
Fresh fruit like the watermelon
Me personally if its just a few days or a weekend and I'm going light a bag of jerky and a squeezy pot of honey suffices with a little fruit (orange, grapes, pomegranate)

Edit
Oh and a pack of noodles - easy to keep, easy to cook, light, and fills a hole
edit on 28-6-2013 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Trail Mix. Jerky. Granola Bars.

You may already know this, and just intentionally spelled it that way.
If not, then an FYI: it's 'cauliflower'

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Celery & Peanut Butter (Celery is pretty stiff (like cauliflower), so no real packing concerns)

Lance Cracker Packs (Can portion them out, and they work great in pockets)

Slim Jims (short kind, easier to put in pockets that way)

Tuna Fish & Cracker Packs (the ones with a little mayo and pickles pack)

Ramen Noodles (can eat them dry if you like, but no real feat to boil water either)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Anything in McDonald's menu. Last for a year without refrigeration.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Trail mix, fruit leather, beef jerky. Small, portable and potent.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Cracker Jacks...how did I forget those?
(like Ramen, not exactly healthy..but....)

Walmart sells these packets of carrots with ranch dip, like for kid lunches. Also, apples with caramel dip packs too.
edit on 28-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
when I go camping my number 1 priority on the list before everything is a nice cheap 12 pack of milwaukee's best ice. It comes with a handle on the case, is full of grains and water.... and easier going down when warm (does not have to be refrigerated).

Survival mode kicks in... get in the whole zombie apocalypse horror b mode, am always drunk and ready for ridiculousness to commence. If I don't have the alcohol... I really can't play foolish games (it's just not very fun, in all honesty). Trust me when it comes to this, it's a MUST!

Oh yeah, and you know it's the high percentage variety when it says "ICE" on it... for instance, natural ice, bud ice, etc.

Cracker Jacks? Slim Jim? Sounds like bait for snare traps and/or fish hook... keep that stuff in the sack for the girls, pass me a brew

edit on 28-6-2013 by MikhailBakunin because: forgot to add to the silly cracker jack/slim jim comments

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
yeah jerky, meat or fruit, always good. honey, too. local honey of the area you are going to camp in = very good.

what i like about watermelon is that it is both food and water. you don't actually have to have a drink as well. a small watermelon, about the size of a basketball, would work for a weekend, easily.

i was gonna say a head of cabbage but it's known to cause intestinal gas, which might make sharing a tent with someone, unpleasant.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Like you are really going to heft a case of beer in an emergency...ok...

Can't imagine that cardboard handle lasting while running....
Humorous at least.

After a few hours, I'd wager you'd trade a beer for a box of Cracker Jacks in a heartbeat...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

By 'colly flower' do you mean cauliflower? There is only something like 200 calories in each head of cauliflower so if that is all I ate over an entire weekend- I'd be starving! How did she make it through with just that? lol

And the best thing to take is trail mix. It's calorie dense, energy packed, and light weight. It will also last quite a while and not go bad.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If an emergency food is ALL you are going to eat. I'd recommend some ration bars. They are packed with calories, and made to be portioned for rationing. Some taste better than others. Get a couple of each before stocking up, so you can find one you like.

If you like the taste of lemon cookie, here's one I found that I like, and keep in my BOB.

www.amazon.com...

Cereal bars are very similar (just not made for it) in a pinch, and have a lot of bang (calories) for the buck.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
gazrok

oatmeal bars. nod nod nod. of course, super high fiber = need to find the porta potty. lol

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I know you said "foods" and I was going to suggest trail mix and jerky, but those have been mentioned several times.

How about ground coffee? Instant or brew-type, though some might not find it the tastiest of beverages, coffee can give you a much needed "pick me up" as when necessary, as well as warm you from the inside if it's cold. It carries light and dry, and no refrigeration worries.

edit on 28-6-2013 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I should add, I HATE the taste of coconut, and a LOT of ration bars taste of coconut. That was my primary reason for going with the Mainstay ones (taste, and no coconut taste). However, add in a Ziploc bag too, because once you open the sealed pack, it is the whole deal. They'll still stay fresh enough (for at least a month), but it will get crumbs EVERYWHERE without a Ziploc bag after opening.

I actually have a couple of canned foods (I like beef stew) in my BOB as well, along with a fuel cell folding stove to cook them (in the can). If I'm going to have to hike it 40 miles to get home, I'm going to eat decent dammit. The ration bars are for supplementing and making sure I get my calories (and if I need to be longer).

How about ground coffee? Instant or brew-type

I keep with instant, just less to carry and easier to deal with. I'm not normally a coffee drinker, but like it when camping for some reason.
edit on 28-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Fig Newtons for the win!

Back when I was a competitive cyclist, Fig Newtons were the unsung hero and often preferred over energy bars by many cyclists. Square, compact, and a dense food-source, there's a high calorie count in a relative small amount of space, with a fair bit of good stuff -- fibre, anti-oxidants, vitamins, etc.

And, they last a fairly long amount of time.

Fig Newtons and almonds... you have all you need to cram a lot of calories into a small space.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join