It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Devo, Drummer, Alan Myers, Dies of Brain Cancer....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Stickman drummed on all of the post-punk band's seminal albums, starting with 'Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!'

Alan Myers, whose quirky and askew drumming goosed the hits of Devo, died of brain cancer, he was 58.....

Myers joined Devo in 1976, before their classic major label debut, “Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!” He worked with the band on all their major albums, becoming their best-known stickman.....

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Myers specialized in jerky and brusk beats, as heard in the band’s classic reconfiguration of The Stones’ “Satisfaction.” Their version moved it from a sexy rocker to a new wave freak-out. Myers’ beats in hits like “Whip It,” or touchstones like “Girl U Want,” also put the emphasis in odd places, creating original beats....

Myers left Devo after the 1987 album “Shout,” citing his lack of creative fulfillment. More and more of the band’s beat work was being achieved by machine. After leaving Devo, Myers recorded a demo with the band Babooshka.

He continued to play in the Los Angeles music scene until his death. Since 2005, his band Skyline Electric played local art galleries and music clubs.He worked, by day, as an electrician.

RIP............................

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
RIP spudboy

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Dear davethebear,

Ouch. I love the band and have actually been in contact with one of the members. I have even known people that worked with them. They predated punk and were one of the first bands signed by STIFF records.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

One of my favorite lines from the early days..."Oh that Alan!"

Thanks for the post and RIP.

CJ

new topics

top topics

join