It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

meteorite explosion over nebraska last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
People are reporting that there was an exploding meteorite over Nebraska last night. This is a quote from Kent Boughton (He's the local weather guy) who saw it and posted about it on his FB page.

"A viewer posted they saw something that looked like an explosion in the sky around 11:30 PM last night. I saw it too! A large bright streaking meteorite came across the sky and when it hit the atmosphere it appeared like a giant explosion in multiple colors. The strange thing was a circular area of clouds that looked like a giant smoke ring in the part of the sky where the meteorite was. I doubt if the two are connected and while this picture is only SIMILAR it was one of the strangest meteorites I've ever seen."

edit on 27-6-2013 by SecretNebraska because: added photo

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
explode in the air again..great job alien brother..

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretNebraska

Should've waited til the 4th ! Trigger happy cosmos.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I live in Nebraska, nobody I know said jack about it. Not even on Facebook.

Just goes to show how glued everyone is to screens, I doubt anyone I know has looked at the sky in a long time.

Come to think of it, I watched Leonid meteor shower alone in a cornfield on December 17 because nobody else wanted to go. Cold, lonely, beautiful night that was.

EDIT:

www.space.com...

This picture is from 1998. You're about 15 years late
edit on 27-6-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Could it be this one reported here?

American Meteor Society / Event 1366a / 2013-06-26 @ 10:27 UTC / Valparaiso, NE

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
LOVED THE PICTURE!!!

edit on (6/27/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

We were pulling into a truck stop (Big Springs, at exit 107 on I-80), and a bright green streak went across the sky in front of us. It was pretty cool to see. I haven't seen a green one before.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Sorry, I had to do this...

It's just too awesome....

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is pretty cool, I just got home from fishing and was going to post my meteorite story from last night. I was outside laying in one of our field on my sleeping bag talking to my brother on the phone when suddenly the entire sky lit up like it was dusk out and as I looked up I saw an extremely bright meteor streaking across the sky at a low altitude.

This could not have been the same one that was seen in Nebraska since it was about 1:30 AM central time. The meteor was low enough that I could make out the actual meteor "head" and it lit up the sky bright enough that I could see our barn and items such as our trucks and such that is on our property. My brother had just asked me a question about something and I had began to answer him when I saw it and blurted out "Holy # bro, you should see the meteorite that just lit up the sky!".

After it went behind some trees I started looking around to establish landmarks in order to determine its trajectory and I noticed that I could still see the greenish tail or track from it in the sky for probably a minute after it had passed over. Then about 15 minutes later another less bright meteorite passed over in pretty much the same trajectory leaving a greenish tail behind for a few moments.

I even went on google earth this morning and pulled up our property and used some of the landmarks I had established to get an idea of where it could have landed though I do believe it also exploded in the atmosphere. Now reading this makes me want to go and stay outside again tonight and see if there are any others, it seems that last night there was definitely something going on.

I live in central ND about 60 miles east of Bismarck and I just wish now that I would have went outside earlier last night since the one that was seen over Nebraska would have had to have passed over us if it originated from the same source as the ones I saw.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

What I saw here in ND last night was much bigger and brighter than that.

top topics

join