It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all computer experts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hi. I'm having trouble with shockwave. I'm running firefox and for some reason shockwave crashes whenever I try to play facebook games. First it'll freeze and then crash. How can I fix this? Is it the device driver needing updated? If so, where do I get the driver. I'm also having trouble with scrips that aren't responding. It causes firefox to freeze up as well. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Did you reboot your pc?
That's step 1.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did reboot it but it still did it. I should have mentioned that my computer wasn't online for a few years. I'd just gotten around to upgrading things a few weeks ago.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

What version of firefox?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Go to this link:

kb.mozillazine.org...

And scroll down until you see "Disabling Protected Mode in Flash 11.3". This is essential for Flash to run properly on some browsers including Firefox.

Also, make sure you've got the latest Flash plugin and that it's updated. You can go to the following link to read more and see how:

support.mozilla.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

If that machine has been off the grid, so to speak, for a few years you may be better off reloading your operating system and installing Firefox, Shockwave, etc on a clean install...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Try to uninstall the shockwave player.
Make sure you get all traces of it off your system.
I'd check the shockwave website for more info on that.

Then try to install it fresh.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have a simple fail proof solution, ok you ready for it

Stop using facebook...problem solved

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just wondering. Is it not easier to purchase a brand new computer with all the innovations over the years instead of trying to add this, upgrade that to an old system not built to keep up with changes? Oh, I agree with upgrades....but with all the tech talk about doing this, upping that, re-installing this, changing that, new upgrades and all...on an OLD computer?

I never have any issues, ever. They say one should replace your cell phones, flat screens tvs and laptops every few years or so just to keep up with innovations. Then I read here, it wont do this, it wont do that, it used to do this, it used to do that..I cant...you get it.

As cheap as notebooks, laptops and PCs are now-a-days...why not replace? Its real hard to get old computers trying to keep up with newer, faster and more tech'd out websites....I mean....you have to keep up with things somewhat, right?. Otherwise...what do you expect?

I see these "screen-shots" of these long computer stats people post. I have never...ever... done anything with any such of these things because even as I do the same things on mine as others...its never a problem.

I just save my money and when I can afford to...I replace with something newer, better and more efficient using todays gaming, videos, music and internet itself, keeping up with all the industry is dishing out. They move ahead. How cant you with your own personal dinosaur????

Thats what I dont get. All this info folks are trying to change...bios, dns..whatever...Go to the store!

I myself went from the ages of DOS to WINDOWS...to WINDOWS 97...to WINDOWS XP...to WINDOWS 7....and have never done any of the tweeking I see attempted here. I have ton of RAM, more than enough memory, 1 Terabite of storage, and external 1T drive to backup everything (and I throw it in a drawer...not on some "online storage site-how crazy"....and I have a 4g, 2-8gs, and a 16g flash drive on my key ring.

We wouldnt keep a 45 year old car for 870,000 miles and ask for help on how to put on some fuel injectors...just becasue we own the car still. Or is it just me?

Recently, I bought a DELL PC for the wife at home, and myself a laptop. Each new, and one for $500 (saved up for it...Im not rich either)...and one for $399 (overtime money I made for the holidays last year).

So when I see posts like this....I dont wonder at all why these folks cant get their "dinosaurs to eat sushi" so to speak.

Ok...Im done now. Thanks for listening........................

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
First thing is to update the drivers for the laptop especially video. Once that's done, update the operating system from Microsoft updates.. This part is crucial.. update (dotnet) .net framework if the 'Microsoft updates' hasn't already. Then update flash, java, shockwave, firefox and other programs etc.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

It's a shame that obsolescence comes around the corner faster and faster with today's tech.
It's wasteful. It wastes energy, natural resources, and money. What you say is somewhat true, but I still like to make all my tech last as long as possible.
I use it, until it no longer works.
Not everyone has the money to just replace things as they break, even if they save. Other people are probably a bit like me, and just don't feel like filling up a landfill if it's not necessary..

To answer the original question.
If that machine has been sitting for a while, as mentioned earlier.it would be a really good idea to do a re-install. Do it before you become too committed to the machine, with all that fresh data you're going to start collecting as you use it. I did sort of the same thing with one of my older machines. It sat for a while. and it was really much much easier to start fresh and clean!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by eisegesis

It's the newer version.I'd gone so far as deleting it and then reinstalling.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Thanks. That's one of the first things I did when it wouldn't work.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sean

I'm using a tower. Where can I find drivers?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I wish I could buy a new one but at the moment I just can't afford it. Too many important things that I need the money for.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

My point was really about what with the new apps, service updates and security upgrades etc...how long can anyone expect their older tech to be able to use, translate and apply it all...when their tech was made for days long gone by BEFORE we had to get all these updates periodically, and new apps?

As the tech gets more so technical---the older stuff just cant keep up. That's all....

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I completely understand that. But as technology gets better and faster...we cant expect our older stuff to keep up...after awhile....its just cant anymore.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Go to this link:

kb.mozillazine.org...

And scroll down until you see "Disabling Protected Mode in Flash 11.3". This is essential for Flash to run properly on some browsers including Firefox.

Also, make sure you've got the latest Flash plugin and that it's updated. You can go to the following link to read more and see how:

support.mozilla.org...

^^^^^^ This !

Mozilla Firefox is notorious for having Flash Shockwave conflicts.

It's not a computer problem, it's a Mozilla problem. There are a number of Mozilla fixes for this, one of which the poster quoted above has mentioned.

You may notice that just about every time you update your Mozilla, you'll have Flash crashes more often. It means you need to change Mozilla settings and/or need to install a Mozilla plug-in fix.

No need to horse around with your computer, just fix your Mozilla Firefox.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

What OS and model? You have to understand that digging a pc out of the bone yard is going to be outdated both software/hardware wise. So you have to start back with the basics and get drivers updated as much as you can. If it's a system like dell or whatever then going to their website and doing some searches on make/model is a starter. If it's custom pc built you can download a program called Speccy and another really good program called Belarc Advisor. Both of these are programs that tell you important information of what software you have installed as well as hardware specs, cpu fans speeds, cpu temps. It's just a all around good software that everyone should have so you get a visual picture of what's in your system. Just Google search it and download the version you need.

edit on 3-7-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Oh there is life still in them old computers. They are great to use them as a learning tool, take them all apart and build it back together. Learn some linux. Setup servers on them. Install OpenVPN or SSH. Make them into a media pc's. Use it as a backup server or whatever you like. You can really do lots of stuff with computers that you normally would donate and toss out. Hell if you have enough of them you can put together in a DIY (do it yourself) server cluster. The sky is the limit really there is so much open source stuff out there that people don't really look into. Plenty of things to do out there to breath life back into a old PC.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join