Joel Tenenbaum's $675,000 Music Downloading Fine Upheld

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Link

A $675,000 verdict against a former Boston University student who illegally downloaded and shared songs on the Internet has been upheld. A jury ordered Providence, R.I., resident Joel Tenenbaum to pay $22,500 for each of 30 songs after the Recording Industry Association of America sued him on behalf of four record labels. Tenenbaum argued the $675,000 award violates his due process rights because it's not tied to the injury he caused. He estimates that to be no more than $450, or the cost of 30 albums. A federal appeals court Tuesday found Tenenbaum's conduct was "egregious" because he illegally shared songs for years despite numerous warnings.

Looks like the federal court of appeals upheld this decision, and this poor Joe is now stuck with life-riddling debt due to doing things that probably a lot of us on ATS did at one point. Does the punishment fit the crime here??

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is America, you can get life in prison for stealing a stick of gum.

This kid must have either had a terrible defense, or the whore judge was paid off by the RIAA to make an example out of him. Digital piracy is not theft, it's making a copy. If you own a Ferrari and I make an exact copy your Ferrari, is your Ferrari stolen? As long as you don't pass off someone else's work as your own and try to profit from it, it's not a violation of copyright.

It seems that this idiot was trying to distribute their music publicly, however, which is just imbecilic, especially if he had been warned several times to cease and desist and failed to comply.

Crony capitalism at its finest.
edit on 27-6-2013 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
look, america makes a new debt slave.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
We watched Congress pass the laws with the Digital Copyright Act to make all this possible. This and more. Then, as if the world needed an encore to stupid for amusement or something, we RE-ELECTED the same people who did it...again and again since, in some cases.

Who is responsible? Well, if you live in America?

This is who is responsible!

Go get 'em!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

Does the punishment fit the crime here??

How many times were the songs downloaded? Why is it that musicians or programmers work is worth very little? I would submit that the musicians that made these track should expect compensation. Why is it creative people, people who produce something that others want, should not get paid for there work? Would you argue that these musicians are rich and therefore it is ok to take their work and give them nothing, all because technology allows it?

V

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This will not be a popular comment but I will get over it.

It is one thing to buy a product and share it with your friends. It is another thing to steal a product and share it with your friends or in his case, thousands of strangers. IMO Joel is lucky he is not facing serious jail time for $675,000 in stolen merchandise.

He was warned to stop, he choose to push the limits. Now he is on the hook for his arrogance.

That being said; I sure wish everything was free. I would love to just go down and grab a sweet little Porsche 911 for no money. Hell, I would even share it with my friends.....

Since this is a conspiracy site I have to add this:
A friend who knows a guy, that has a cousin, he overheard some people at a secret data center talking about the Music industries next move. Apparently the Music Industry is hiring consultants to comb through NSA's database of internet habits. They plan to start billing people that downloaded anything copyrighted hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they can't pay they take their assets.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Variable
reply to post by jburg6

Does the punishment fit the crime here??

How many times were the songs downloaded? Why is it that musicians or programmers work is worth very little? I would submit that the musicians that made these track should expect compensation. Why is it creative people, people who produce something that others want, should not get paid for there work? Would you argue that these musicians are rich and therefore it is ok to take their work and give them nothing, all because technology allows it?

V

Musicians might see ~11% of each digital download (iTunes takes ~30%, the label takes ~60%), and it's the RIAA we're talking about here, so these "musicians" are more like manufactured brands with manufactures voices and whole PR teams devoted to maintaining their image.

In short, they just perform what their managers tell them to perform. It's hardly their music, as they can hardly even write music.

Furthermore, the amount of compensation they receive from downloads is so miniscule (unless they are a top artist) that they are forced to turn to other means for profit, such as selling merchandise and playing shows. The music industry needs a major overhaul because currently it's riding purely on the exploitation of the dreams and talents of musicians.

That's neither for here or there, though.

new topics

top topics

join