It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender man in women's mma? Thoughts please.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by IvanAstikov

Chess is definitely a good analogy. It's two men putting themselves to the test to see who is better. As chess alludes, a large part of the game is mental and strategic and not physical.

Well if it's more mental and strategical then why are there gender divides at all?

First, where did I say it is MORE mental?
Second, even if it is MORE mental there are still physical aspects which clearly dictate divisions.

How about you make a post of substance.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by DeadSnow

Woopty doo. Some people here are were "fighters". That means jack in the real world. Like I said mma is mma it's a sport. In the real world things are different and often counter intuitive. There are plenty of women who are not " fighters" and can kick many a guys ass in a combative altercation sometimes even mma guys. Being great at mma is just that being great at mma. It doesn't correlate as much as you think outside the ring.

What are we debating? the indy 500?...
Facepalm yourself.

We're discussing MMA to begin with and as a fighter or someone that has taken their interest beyond spending a few hours staring into a TV screen and cheering, I think our opinions should be taken more seriously.

Or less seriously.

Brain damage is a pretty real occurance in these kinds of sports.

Oh? Can you post links to reputable sources showing this?

However, while the overall injury rate in MMA competition is similar to that in other combat sports, the knockout rate is lower in MMA competition than in boxing, suggesting a reduced risk of traumatic brain injury (TBI) in MMA competition.

Bledsoe, G. H., et al. (2006). ''Incidence of injury in professional mixed martial arts competitions.'' Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 136-142.

Now factor in boxing has a standing 8 count and MMA fights end with a TKO far quicker and your ignorance is shown.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

As for the the topic. There's enough science and medicine around to prove that she or he is capable of fighting at the same level, without advantage as whatever sex they feel identity with.

This is an outright lie.

The science clearly shows what is blatantly obvious: men and women are biologically different.

Men, in general, are more muscular and have superior strength to women. Women, in general, have more fat, and can be better at endurance related events.

Saying that "science and medicine around you prove" with regards to this topic, is quite disingenuous, else terribly ignorant.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by DeadSnow

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by DeadSnow

Woopty doo. Some people here are were "fighters". That means jack in the real world. Like I said mma is mma it's a sport. In the real world things are different and often counter intuitive. There are plenty of women who are not " fighters" and can kick many a guys ass in a combative altercation sometimes even mma guys. Being great at mma is just that being great at mma. It doesn't correlate as much as you think outside the ring.

What are we debating? the indy 500?...
Facepalm yourself.

We're discussing MMA to begin with and as a fighter or someone that has taken their interest beyond spending a few hours staring into a TV screen and cheering, I think our opinions should be taken more seriously.

Or less seriously.

Brain damage is a pretty real occurance in these kinds of sports.

Oh? Can you post links to reputable sources showing this?

However, while the overall injury rate in MMA competition is similar to that in other combat sports, the knockout rate is lower in MMA competition than in boxing, suggesting a reduced risk of traumatic brain injury (TBI) in MMA competition.

Bledsoe, G. H., et al. (2006). ''Incidence of injury in professional mixed martial arts competitions.'' Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 136-142.

Now factor in boxing has a standing 8 count and MMA fights end with a TKO far quicker and your ignorance is shown.

You are not very bright. Of course MMA fighters have a high risk of brain damage. How it compares to boxing is completely irrelevant I can't believe you would even go there -- especially considering I said "these kinds of sports".

The longer a pro fighter's career, the more likely that fighter will lose critical brain capacity, according to the results of a new neurological study conducted on pro MMA fighters and boxers.

Sarah Banks, a neuropsychologist and a researcher with the Cleveland Clinic's Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, which is based in Las Vegas, revealed the findings over the weekend at the American Academy of Neurology's annual meeting, according to a report from MedPage Today.

After studying MRI scans for 135 MMA fighters and 104 boxers, researchers found indications of a connection between the duration of a fighter's career and significant degradation in certain areas of the brain.

Source

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantriQueptidez

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

As for the the topic. There's enough science and medicine around to prove that she or he is capable of fighting at the same level, without advantage as whatever sex they feel identity with.

This is an outright lie.

The science clearly shows what is blatantly obvious: men and women are biologically different.

Men, in general, are more muscular and have superior strength to women. Women, in general, have more fat, and can be better at endurance related events.

Saying that "science and medicine around you prove" with regards to this topic, is quite disingenuous, else terribly ignorant.

Not to mention I posted actual science that says they are not equal, not my opinion, actual scientific facts with sources.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

From your source.

According to the MedPage Today report, Banks said the findings were preliminary and called for more intensive research on the topic.

Now higher risk compared to what? The risk is lower than in other combat sports. What are the side effects of the "damage" to these MMA fighters?

What organizations did they fight in? Were they sanctioned?

How many fights a year? How many fights total? Using "5 years" doesn't mean much as some people can have 20 fights in 5 years, some will have 10, some will have 50.

What kind of training do they do? What is their major discipline and did they compete in that before starting MMA? How many fights? Is their major discipline full contact, grappling?

There are so many confounding variables in this study a high school student could pick it apart, but hey, according to you I'm not very bright so I guess you know it all.

That study leaves a lot of questions and doesn't answer any.
edit on 6-7-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is the thing that bothers me. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know transgender males can fight men,correct? BTW transgender males are ppl born female and transitioning into males with testosterone treatments... What's the difference if a person identifying as a female but biologically male is fighting a female?? Now the thing is, scientific studies say this is controversial but how would u ppl like it if ppl told u that u couldn't fight cuz ur a straight male, or straight female, or gay male or gay female or whatever?! It all comes down to rights, respect, and fairness!!! Have u ppl ever been told u can't do something u love to do and ur good at?? Did u stop? Ms. Fallon deserves respect for everything she's been through!! She has more courage to be herself than a lot of u ignorant ppl out there. Guaranteed. As for mma being brutal, I agree. But I don't see anyone bein harsh on gay football players n last time I checked.. That's also a full contact sport. And just so u know I am a ftm mma fighter/ bodybuilder.. So think about who reads this b4 u post ignorance. Have a good day.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join