It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian test-pilot to realize a jump from space without parachute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Crazy Russians.

I jumped in parachute ( also from an aerostat, but from an altitude of 300 m, not 50 km ). I hope for him that he'll have a very good checklist and will not *forget* something....

Russian test-pilot of Gromov Aeronautics Test Centre, Hero of Russia, Air Forces colonel, Magomed Tolboev has offered a project of a human being jump from space without parachute. With this project he appeared before journalists on Thursday. According to Tolboev, he himself is ready to realize it. Though, to realize this jump, some preliminary investigation with dummy is necessary,as he noticed.

In particular, Tolboev supposes, on the first stage, the dummy with sensors should be threatened from aerostat, from a height of 1 km. The second stage should be a height of 40-50 km. After the studying results of the jumps and the reading of the devices, Tolboev is ready to repeat the jump.

According to him, this should be a world record. Only after that preliminary jumps, he is ready to realize a similar jump from a space ship or from a space station.

More : Link

[Edited on 16-5-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 08:17 AM
link   
How about this for incredible :

Jan. 26, 1972: Twenty-two year old, Vesna Vulovic, was a flight attendant on Yugoslav Airlines DC-9 enroute from Stockholm to Belgrade. A bomb, planted by Croatian terrorists, exploded onboard when the aircraft was at 33,330 ft. Vulovic was in the tail section that fell to Earth. It landed at just the right angle on a slope of snow covered mountains.
Rescue operations commenced immediately. Vulovic was severely injured. She broke both her legs and was paralyzed from the waist down. She was in a coma for 27 days. Her recovery took 17 months. She continued to fly with Yugoslav Airlines for 20 more years.

Vulovic returned to the accident scene on Jan 27, 1997. She met her rescuers and placed memorial flowers at the monument for the others that died.

All others on board perished.

LINK

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   
wow that for real!!

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
wow that for real!!

If you're refferring to Vesna, Blade, then yeah no #, it's true.

Check out the link I left, there's a few other incredible paruchetless jumps.

[Edited on 15-5-2003 by mad scientist]

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Wow, talk about God as your copilot!

There was a story about an American B-17 crewman who bailed out over German occupied territory in WWII. He bailed without his chute, and his fall was softened by numerous tree branches and a very deep snow drift.

He was found by German forces, who surprisingly gave him a good deal of medical treatment, and then presented him with the Iron Cross (!) for surviving the fall!

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
hmm. maybe it's me, but deliberately jumping from an aircraft without a parachute seems to be a rather ill-advised idea.

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Read the link, in some cases, as with the WTC, doing so is the better alternative to dying burning or something similar...

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Then there is the true but incredable story about the guy who almost alone survived a crash where one jumbo hit another on a runway slicing the top off the grounded jumbo and killing all the people.

He got out without a scratch with only an injured ankle when he jumped off the wing. All the people around him burst into flame after being covered in fuel.

He said he was sitting in his seat when a voice said to him to duck, and then an arm guided him out of the eplane. At the time his family felt they had to pray for him that his life was in danger.

His pic was in time mag with a story of his survival

here is some info...

www.crashdatabase.com...

Date: 03/27/1977
Airline: Pan American World Airways / KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Aircraft: Boeing 747-100 / Boeing 747-200B
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 583:644
Details: Both aircraft were diverted to Tenerife because of a bombing at Las Palmas Airport. After an extended delay, both planes were instructed to back track up the runway.

The KLM plane reached its takeoff point while the Pan Am plane was still on the runway. The Pan Am plane continued up the runway missing the taxiway turnout. There was heavy fog on the runway. The KLM plane began its takeoff roll without permission with the Pan Am plane still on the runway.

The KLM plane hit the Pan Am plane just as it was taking off. Both planes burst into flames. This was the worst death toll in aviation history. KLM 234 + 14 crew, Pan Am 326 + 9 crew killed. The Pan Am aircraft was named Clipper Victor.

[Edited on 16-5-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Dragonrider, that probably was a Lancaster Bomber crew member (not a B-17 crew member) who bailed out without a chute during WW 2. With the exception of the ball turret gunner, B 17 crew members were supposed to wear their parachutes when combat was possible. The tail gunners in the Lanc's could not wear parachutes because there was no room. Their chutes were stowed forward of the gun position (they used the type that just clipped unto your harness). In case of an emergency, the Lanc tail gunner just clipped on his chute on the way to the exit. The guy in question was a tail gunner in a Lanc on a night bombing mission over Germany that was hit by a German night fighter. The plane caught fire immediately and started down. Also the gunfire from the night fighter shattered the tail gunner's canopy. When the guy went for his parachute, he discovered that it had been burned by fire and he was stuck alone on a burning bomber. Rather than going down and burning to death, he returned to his shattered gun position and jumped. Fortunately he landed in a bunch of trees which broke his fall. He wrote his story for the Rider's Digest around 1960.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:41 AM
link   
thanks for reminding us of that amazing tale, j-flieger: it used to be (maybe is) in the Guinness Book.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The Russian guy's head's not right, I fear. Is it physically possible?

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Lieutenant I. M. Chisov

January 1942: Russian Lieutenant I. M. Chisov flew his Ilyushin 4 on a bitter cold day in January 1942. He was attacked by 12 German Messerschmitts.
Chisov bailed out at 21,980 ft. because he thought that was his best survival option. He free fell to escape the German fire. His plan was to open at 1000 ft.

He lost consciousness during his freefall. He landed on a steep ravine with 3 ft. of snow and plowed through the snow until coming to rest at the bottom.

He awoke 20 minutes later. He 'only' had a concussion of his spine and a fractured pelvis.

He recovered quickly and was back on duty as a flight instructor 3.5 months later.

Nick Alkemade

March 23, 1944: Nick Alkemade of the Royal Air Force survived a chuteless jump. He was a tail gunner in an AVRO Lancaster bomber. While returning from a bombing mission the aircraft was attacked by German Junkers JU-88. Alkemade was trapped in the turret after the bomber caught fire. His parachute was in the cabin area. Alkemade jumped from the aircraft, preferring a quick death to being burned.
He fell from 18,000 ft, all the while thinking of his ultimate death. He relaxed his body and fell in a slightly head down position.

His next recollection was looking up at the stars through some pine trees. He could not believe he was okay. He moved each arm and leg and soon realized he was not even hurt badly.

Completely grateful of being alive he smoked a cigarette, before even getting up. He thought about what had just happened to him.

He realized that the pine trees, with their pliable branches, slowly reduced his descent rate to one that was survivable. In addition, the soft snow cover reduced the landing forces even more.

He finally stood up. His leg was sprained and would not support his weight.

A short time later, the Germans captured Alkemade. The Gestapo did not believe his story of jumping without a parachute. They thought he was a spy. Finally, after inspecting the parachute harness and finding the burned parachute at the crash site they believe him.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
let me get this straight....

1. Paralyzed from the waist down.
2. Continued to fly with them for years.

As what?
Certainly not a stewardess...

She was considered "lucky"? No thanks...I think I would have rather died in the crash, than suffer God's "benevolence" here....

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Jag, that may be the story I heard, although I thought it was an American pilot, and understand that he was actually decorated by the Germans of all people for surviving the crash.

posted on May, 16 2003 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I don't like how they conveniently ignored who set the record that this bozo thinks he can break.

And the man I'm talking of set the record without sending up test dumbies and such.

I'm talking about a good ol' American! *Sounds triumphant musics*.

www.fabulousrocketeers.com...

www.fabulousrocketeers.com...

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Jag, that may be the story I heard, although I thought it was an American pilot, and understand that he was actually decorated by the Germans of all people for surviving the crash.

No American was ever decorated with the Iron Cross in WWII.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It still brings up the question: "Why would anyone want to leave a perfectly good airplane".

new topics

top topics

join