It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sad day for magicians on AGT (though 1 good one remains)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There were THREE different magicians on the episode the other night.
Unbeknownst to most of the audience, all three essentially did the SAME trick!

Each one had as a key "WOW" part, where a person's card was revealed in a unique way.
One had it folded in his mouth....another had it on a shirt of a sexy assistant....another had it on his shirt.

Each of these tricks worked EXACTLY the same. They used a Svengali deck to ensure the person picked the right card (half the deck is that card, and the cards are shortened, so the magician can always find one of that card (something you can pick up at any magic shop).

Sad, sad....as many non-magicians are even familiar with such decks. At least the one guy added in other elements, such as the switcheroo with himself and assistant, etc.

edit on 27-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Not to mention the "female escape artist". One could see her blatantly working the handcuff key trying to free herself.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I'm not even counting those. It simply isn't entertainment to me.
edit on 27-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
whilst i may concur that none were entertaining, none of them utilized a Svengali deck

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Totally agree.

Honestly, the older I get the less amazing magicians appear.

They used to fascinate me but now it's not hard to figure out their tricks. There's like 10 general magic acts that are the basis of all the thousands of various tricks.

P.S. I'm not even referring to AGT and don't watch it. Just magicians in general.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
How many magicians have you viewed?

of course there are many Magicians who are hobbyist, or semi-professional who don't develop their effects into something bigger, but to dismiss magic performance away, you have not witnessed some of the fabulous performers that are out there, who are not 'Popular', but are truly brilliant

i will say that through the advancements of technology, magic is viewed more archaic, and many times not given it's proper R.E.S.P.E.C.T. likewise with urge many people have to 'expose' how a trick is allegedly done, again that is why you see less and less of the Superstar conjurors shy away from Television, and what is filtered to the top may be the less than stellar performers

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

How many magicians have you viewed?

I've known a handful that do it as their livelihood. But I've been fascinated it since I was a kid, had magic kits, did some of my own, grew out of it, etc. But, always stayed fascinated by it, especially when I can't figure out all of it the first time I see it. That's when I really enjoy an illusion. I also enjoy the process of figuring it out.

whilst i may concur that none were entertaining, none of them utilized a Svengali deck

Can't imagine what makes you say that. Certainly is one of the easiest ways to ensure they pick the right card, and wouldn't be hard to duplicate each of the tricks with one. Curious to hear your theory.... There are other decks one could use as well.

i will say that through the advancements of technology, magic is viewed more archaic, and many times not given it's proper R.E.S.P.E.C.T. likewise with urge many people have to 'expose' how a trick is allegedly done, again that is why you see less and less of the Superstar conjurors shy away from Television, and what is filtered to the top may be the less than stellar performers

I can certainly appreciate a well done and performed illusion. Knowing or guessing how it is done, is part of the fun for my, but it doesn't diminish my appreciation and respect for the illusionist. I have seen some pretty excellent illusionists on AGT in years past though, and these 3 acts were basically the same trick, and a variation on an old, worn, and fairly well-known one.

Some tech advancements can really further magic though. Look at Copperfield's flying illusion, where computers control the wires, making it seem like he's floating in air. Pretty nice illusion (though sucks on TV, as you can occasionally see the wires with the lighting, if you look hard enough). On stage though, it would be magical.

Remember those specials that came out, with the masked magician revealing some basic ideas? That really revealed a bit too much if you ask me. By doing so, the claim was to further the art, but by revealing most of the basics, the specials kind of called out nearly ALL of the main concepts that form the framework of most illusions.
edit on 28-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Indeed, Close up and parlor magic are a completely different experience than viewing a 'Stage Performer' same with someone who does more close up 'Mentalism' or 'Mental Magic'

The three effects in question, whilst a Svengali deck would be the simplest way to make sure the card was picked, can be done with a borrowed deck of playing cards, and can be examinable at the end, i don't want to delve into the Methods of the effects, but if you are knowledgeable of card techniques you may be able to come to a simple conclusion

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Sure there are other techniques for a regular deck (I know some, but I'm no expert on close up magic...though it is fascinating), but in each trick on the show, these were the MAGICIAN'S decks...not a borrowed one, so a Svengali deck seems to be the best GUARANTEE of getting the right card...that's all.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Sure there are other techniques for a regular deck (I know some, but I'm no expert on close up magic...though it is fascinating), but in each trick on the show, these were the MAGICIAN'S decks...not a borrowed one, so a Svengali deck seems to be the best GUARANTEE of getting the right card...that's all.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

true,

but watching the videos, i know for a fact they did not utilize a Svengali deck

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Hmm...will have to look at the tricks again. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Ok, at least the one magician really did a nice trick the other night. I had to rewind a couple of times to figure it out (and you can actually see the evidence of how, if you do), but it was very clever. It really had the judges wowed (and my family).

www.dailymotion.com...

My family is kind of weird...part of them really wants to just preserve the magic, but the other part wants to know how it was done. I won't explain it here, but if anyone who saw it really wants to know, U2U me.

Basically, he showed an empty envelope, sealed it. Then, he inserted a playing card into a seemingly random page picked by Howie. He showed them the page, concentrated, and the page somehow is ripped out, and in the sealed envelope. Clever trick, using some basic deception...but mind blowing until you know how it was done.

edit on 18-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
He strikes again (Collins Key), but this time, I'm not sure how he did it without knowing ahead of time what they would tweet. It's a new take on an old trick, but one that was fresh enough to defy explanation so easily. Either the judges were in on it, (unlikely, as they'd X it), or he has a unique way of putting the information on a sealed paper.

EDIT: Ok, rewatched it and got it now. Duh...how could I have missed that? U2U me if you want to know.

Thing is, almost EVERY thing in an illusion has a purpose. Once you realize that, the solution becomes clear.
Nicely done though. He's very quick, and has a lot of camouflage to make you think the result is more sealed than it actually is. Very clever.

Trick starts about 1 minute in....

edit on 25-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join