It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAHAHA we have all been played the fool!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. "By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment."

So, the federal gov't cannot decide whether or not gay people can marry as it is up to the state to decide. As it should be per the constitution. In the same breath they rule that the state cannot decide whom can marry whom in another decision?

"California voters added the ban to the state's constitution in 2008 through a ballot initiative that reversed the state Supreme Court's recognition of same-sex marriage earlier that year. Two same-sex couples challenged it in federal court, and by the time their suit reached the justices, two lower courts had declared it unconstitutional."

Wait what? Am i the only one who sees the irony here? While everyone was celebrating the "victory" nobody put two and two together? this further perpetuates the argument that "the people are too stupid to govern themselves so we need to do it for them."

Am i misinterpreting this? Or is it as i see it now? Scratching my head.
edit on 27-6-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
i personally think it's stupid that certain other people who want a certain other thing legalized get jailed constantly and abused by law enforcement wilst the people who are free to do what they want use they're manipulative "feelings' of rejection to overwhelm the plea to 'legalize it", what you ask, appearently everyones so lame i can't mention it here either. But it's tasty.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

There is a huge difference between using illegal substances and being born gay!

You want drugs legalised? Start a movement! Protest your rights! Stand up for yourself! Or do you want the gays to fight your fight for you? You sound like a bitter addict!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
How did this turn into a drug discussion? The topic is that the SCOTUS said the fed can't weigh in on gay marriage, because, it's a state right and then they revoke the states decision in the same breath.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
i do not know about america but in the uk you have to apply for a licence to marry always have so in effect they can say no.

just like you have to apply for a driving licence . the day your parents registered your birth you became a goverment /corparate slave ?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by truthermantwo

There is a huge difference between using illegal substances and being born gay!

Born gay? so people actually got born not to reproduce? sick world

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Many people who are not Gay can not reproduce either is that sick? considering how many kids are discarded by people and end up in homes am glad we all do not reproduce.
Also look at population levels at the moment and it has increased by 5 billion in 113 years...do we need every human being on the planet to reproduce?.
So now that has been cleared up why not show the real reasons why you think it is a sick world.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

I'm confused at what you are getting at.

2 things happened yesterday.

One a decision that DOM (Federal) was unconstitutional. There by granting same-sex couple (in states that legally recognize their marriage) the same federal benefits as hetro couples.

The other was a non-ruling on California's Prop 8. Basically bumping the decision back down to the California courts, which has already ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional.

So the US Supreme Court took care of the federal matter & left the state matter with the state.

With that in mind, can you explain to me the "played a fool" part from your perspective?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I'm a straight woman who was born without the ability to reproduce. Your point?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaoticborders

I'm a straight woman who was born without the ability to reproduce. Your point?

My point is that most gays are able to reproduce, but are "born" not to do so, not that they were born woithout the abilto to do so, and not to offend womans that dont have the ability.
I actually think u know the point.

well another question then, can one be gay and be christian at the same time?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Maybe i did misinterpret what it was. To me it was the courts Ruling that the States were to decide on marriage rights and then overturning the states right to decide to not allow gay marriage.

just curious do gay people that marry have to go through the blood tests that straight people do in order to be licensed to marry?
Also, weren't the benefits of marriage put in place to promote procreation? I understand invetro fertilization, adoption and things like that, will the benefits be decided on a case by case basis as per children? I have no problem with this either way just curious.
My thoughts are that this could all have been resolved by an insurance company that had the heart to allow same sex couples to utilize the others benefits as if it were a marriage in the first place. The predominant point being ones devotion to another.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

My point is that most gays are able to reproduce, but are "born" not to do so, not that they were born woithout the abilto to do so, and not to offend womans that dont have the ability.

Actually many gay people DO reproduce. Being attracted to the same sex does not mean they can't/won't reproduce.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
reply to post by OneisOne

Maybe i did misinterpret what it was. To me it was the courts Ruling that the States were to decide on marriage rights and then overturning the states right to decide to not allow gay marriage.

Not what happen at all. The SCOTUS decided on a federal level and left it to states to decide the state level. Two completely separate issues. As it should be.

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
just curious do gay people that marry have to go through the blood tests that straight people do in order to be licensed to marry?

No idea. When I got married there was no blood test involved. But I'm sure that if a state does require a blood test for marriage it would apply to all couples.

You are on the internet, I'm sure a few searches for same-sex marriage states and marriage requirements for those states would answer your question.
edit on 27-6-2013 by OneisOne because: dropped an s..opps

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Yes of course you can be gay and christian at the same time..

www.gaychristian.net...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The DOMA was "basically" unconstitutional when it was passed.
I am not a scholar on the subject but I have never read marriage mentioned in the constitution.
I thought it spoke of the "equal" treatment of all the people of the U S.
This should be regardless of any other factors.
As to the second question; the Supreme Court simply sent it back to the lower court because those who brought the suite had no legal standing in order to prosicute the case.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Minus

Yes of course you can be gay and christian at the same time..

www.gaychristian.net...

Thats a good thing.
500 years ago homosexuality was a death sin in the eyes of god, but again pretty much of everything we do today where a sin 500 years ago. thank god for the flexible bible and adjusting his view on whats a sin

edit on 27-6-2013 by Minus because: corrected thank

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

My apologies Private i Q, I didn't mean to derail the thread I just couldn't see the relevance of comparing being gay to being an addict!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Minus

The only thing that homosexual people are born with, is the disposition to attraction of a gender. They certainly have the ability to reproduce, and in some have the will to.

well another question then, can one be gay and be christian at the same time?

Yes. Why? God is love.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If homosexuality is OK than mankind would have disappeared thousands of years ago with no procreation.Myself having to pay these perverts with my tax money in the form of benefits is a fkn outrage.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

none taken whatsoever. you replied to what i referred to, thus were not the object of derailment. It was the first reply that i took issue with.
And i really like the shortening of my name you did there. thank you i never looked at it that way. which is really what this whole thing is all about

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join