Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Portsmouth City Council will use goats to "cut" grass.

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Goats will maintain grass at Craney Island Landfill.

The Portsmouth City Council agreed Tuesday to allow the city staff to buy 10 goats to eat the grass at the Craney Island Landfill. It’s part of a pilot program, according to Dennis Bagley, Director of General Services.

The goat they’re interested in, the Boer Goat, tends to eat more grass. Bagley said the idea was mentioned as a joke during a meeting but an employee started doing research and found it was a viable idea for the property.

Right now, because of broken equipment, the city would have to pay someone $42,000 per year to cut the landfill grass. Each of the 10 goats will cost an estimated $70 and landfill employees will be used to look after the goats.

I wish I had a joke but I cant think of anything goat related.

How about, this sounds like a grrreaaaaaat (said in a "goat's" voice) idea?

They'll save on the cost of gas right? What about maintenance? I guess the only time they'd need to replace the "equipment" is when one of the goats passes away.

But how much grass can a goat really consume? $70 is cheaper than a lawn mower, hmmm...

edit on 26-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Goats eating grass from a landfill?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Someone make a radioactive goat.
edit on 26-6-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Someone make a radioactive goat.

'Baa-Baa'.
edit on 26-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Eh, why not? Upside is they wouldn't be adding more pollution to the already toxic atmosphere around the landfill. Downside is what are they going to do if the goats start dying off from eating grass growing from soil contaminated by toxic chemicals- just get more goats that will die as well?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I'm not so sure people should be worried that a few goats die off because of eating something toxic. If it saves cash, and helps the environment why not?

The real loser's are the lawnmowers. Taking money out of the community by doing this.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

My god!!! It's happening at O'hare Airport too!!!
Goats to Graze Among the Runways of O'hare Airport

Them darn goats! They tuk ar jobzz!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, I was going to commend them on such a creative and green idea. When the goats get fat, they can eat them in the event of a disaster. Oh... Then I saw where they'd be cutting grass for the City. neeeeever mind. You all can have the cooked goat while I suffer with my noodles and bread. It'd suddenly seem like a feast fit for royalty.

Nice way to save money tho... I wonder how much the Gov't could save by buying some goats? Not a baaaaaad idea!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, I was going to commend them on such a creative and green idea. When the goats get fat, they can eat them in the event of a disaster. Oh... Then I saw where they'd be cutting grass for the City. neeeeever mind. You all can have the cooked goat while I suffer with my noodles and bread. It'd suddenly seem like a feast fit for royalty.

Nice way to save money tho... I wonder how much the Gov't could save by buying some goats? Not a baaaaaad idea!

For the longest time think even up to FDR goats where used to mow the White House lawn.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
GoatMowers?

I dunno, has anyone asked the goats? oO

Oo

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well, if it does the trick, cool I suppose.

:-/

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Only downside is goat poop and goats that headbutt the employees. And wild dogs that might like to eat goats.

Still better than a lawnmower with a human on it. Goats don't need health insurance or wages.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Hey, there is a nice family project for the first family. Teach the kids some valuable skills too. They can all help tend the goats and the kids can shovel their left overs for fertilizer to their gardens.

(think it's likely? lol)
edit on 27-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
A nice idea. I suppose they could allow people to have free goats milk too.
Though a word of warning, only milk a goat who has more than one teat.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
they can make milk n cheese and breed goats and then sell goats on the market they can probably break even on this deal

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

It reminds me of those community projects where veg and fruit are grown in public areas, free for people use when needed. We should be going down this route, a good thing.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
These damned goats took 'er jobs!

To be serious, are they going to work the goats full time so they can qualify for the Affordable Health Care Act, or are they clocking them out early?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

>>But how much grass can a goat really consume? $70 is cheaper than a lawn mower, hmmm...

A lot. Goats prefer to eat almost constantly. We have 6 goats (and not all adults) that spend part of their time in a moveable 10x20 foot pen. We have to move it daily, every other day at the minimum. They strip everything down to the dirt. Roaming a larger area they would keep the grass down to what would be a good mowed level with a lawnmower. And they provide free fertilizer too.

new topics

top topics

join