It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the HELL does windows updates know when a thunderstorm is passing through?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I swear, every single damn time I have to shut down my computer because bad weather is passing through, the Goddamn thing decides it has to load in some updates RIGHT THEN AND THERE!

Its never a quick upload either; its always gotta be a few thousand registry uploads or if it turns out it only need one upload, its the big, massive one that takes hours to load up.

I've had lightning storms passing through my area all week,and its expected to continue like this through the weekend at least but, every time I try a shutdown, they hit me with the damn updates download. How many can they have in one week? Its like they know its storm season so they decided to ramp it up to the nth degree.

The worst thing is, you can't opt out of these Goddamn things and you either have to wait it out before shutting down the computer or you have to pull the plug before a bolt of lightning fries the whole thing. More often than not, I end up pulling the plug and I know that's almost as bad as a lightning strike to the computer but, what other choice do I have?

Does anybody know how to stop one of these windows updates downloads and shut down the computer normally? There has got to be a way to bypass the damn thing and shut it down in an emergency without having to wait for all those Goddamn updates to download.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Here is why my friend...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Does your Windows give you a message while it is updating?: " Do not turn off your machine..."??

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Go to your Automatic Updates settings and turn off Automatic updates. Or set it to tell you when there are updates but not to download them.

It sounds like it's downloading the updates, but then waiting for you to shut the machine down in order to install them and update your PC. Rather than download them and then install them and then alert you to the fact it's going to shut down in a moment to complete updating your system, just as you start to finish chapter 12 in your novella.

It's not doing anything 'aware' of what is happening outside of your home. It's just using you shutting down the system, to install the updates.

Which is an option. But without knowing what OS it is, there's different ways to get to that setting if you're unfamiliar with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove

Here is why my friend...

I thought it was Fukushima?

Damn, why cant there be a one conspiracy fits all.. like a snuggy.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well,

Fukashima was going to be my second reason..

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
Does your Windows give you a message while it is updating?: " Do not turn off your machine..."??

Yes, I always get the "do not shut down or unplug" message when it happens.

reply to post by winofiend

My OS is Windows 7.

I think you're right, its in the settings somewhere to upload updates when available but, it always seems to want to do them when I'm shutting down for a lightning storm. Never have I seen it do it when I shut down at the end of the night or anything, only when I'm in a rush and need to shut it down quickly.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I have my settings to where it only updates once per week. You can also set it to where it just tells you when updates are available so you can download then when you are ready. It only took a few incidents of Windows interrupting me at a time when I was trying to do something important because they had updates for my computer for me to hunt down the settings and put them on MY time table.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Mine happened to do that just the other day. I had plans for Mr. Gates...

The lightning and the updates hit it just right and it shut itself down only to boot itself back up in safe mode. It took at least 3 hours for it to "fix start up errors" or whatever the hell the thing was doing. I was uber pissed like you.

Not so much now, but enough then to feel your pain now for sure. It is enough to make you wonder if someone somewhere isn't getting their kicks off of it.

edit on 6/26/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Go to your Automatic Updates settings and turn off Automatic updates. Or set it to tell you when there are updates but not to download them.

It sounds like it's downloading the updates, but then waiting for you to shut the machine down in order to install them and update your PC. Rather than download them and then install them and then alert you to the fact it's going to shut down in a moment to complete updating your system, just as you start to finish chapter 12 in your novella.

It's not doing anything 'aware' of what is happening outside of your home. It's just using you shutting down the system, to install the updates.

Which is an option. But without knowing what OS it is, there's different ways to get to that setting if you're unfamiliar with it.

If you have to tell someone how to disable "Auto updates", it's a bad idea for them to disable it.

LEAVE AUTO UPDATE ON, unless you know how to check for updates yourself.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2013 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
you know what, sometime bill gat** get borred playing with computer..and now he want to palying with the customer..

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
do you have a surge protector?

you won't have ta worry about lightning strikes then.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The aliens at Microsoft are having a game with you. Manual update, or buy another computer that doesn't give you the fits. That O-ring apple looks like it might be hassle free.

I think it's the thunderstorm that's influencing your rage about the scenario. All the other times you dealt with the updates, and today you went angry. Thunderstorms, they interrupt the cloaking and mind control systems in the UFOs, that's why you can see them around clouds and people get upset during the weather. Just kidding. The electromagnetic patterns in the air are disorienting to a structured mind and can cause problems with people prone to certain emotional patterns, senile dementia, and epilepsy.

A trip through an MRI could rebalance your biofield, and if you have a headache after that spin cycle I'd say your temporal lobes are suffering. But you could save the 800 bucks for an MRI trip and get a second emergency computer.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chargeit

Originally posted by winofiend

If you have to tell someone how to disable "Auto updates", it's a bad idea for them to disable it.

LEAVE AUTO UPDATE ON, unless you know how to check for updates yourself.

Generally this is true.

Good call.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
invest in surge protector. I've had computers fried before in the 90's. 20 years later I have no problem keeping my computer plugged in during a storm.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Truth. Maybe you should invest in a Mac.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
If you are in area where storms occur often or where power grid is not in good condition, you may decide purchasing some UPS. They have built-in surge protection and can keep alive your equipment for cca 20 mins, depending on battery capacity. All my IT equipment + desk lamp is connected to UPS so when power goes down I have enough time to finish my work check on inet WTH is going on, etc and safely switch of computer. Plus there is always enough power to recharge cell phone when blackout is prolonged.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I changed my settings so it only notifies me when updates are available so I can download them at my convenience. I'll probably keep it that way at least till the end of the storm season.

It tells me I already have 4 vital downloads waiting and a few not so vital uploads as well. This after just updating last time I shut it down. I think the Windows updates guys need to get a life or go to the beach for the summer and leave us alone.

As for the surge protector idea, we have one but it dates back from the 90's so I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. Maybe its time for a new one but, the wife is so conditioned to unplug everything at the first sign of lightning, I don't think even that will make much difference.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Get a Mac. It's more expensive, but it's worth it. I have a Mac, and it is easy to do everything -- unlike with Windows -- and updates are relatively few and they finish in two or three minutes. Whereas a fairly new hp laptop running Windows 7 has updates every day or two and sometimes they take half an hour to an hour to finish. Why this should be is beyond me.

Then there is the issue of registry keys and how they can screw things up. On Macs there are .plist files that are the equivalent, except that you can remove a .plist file and a fresh, new default one will be created as soon as you run the associated application again.

Besides that, the fact that the availability of software, besides that of games, is fairly comparable between Windows and OS X these days, there are also very good commercial as well as free virtual machine apps for Macs that allow the running of Windows software.

There is a reason Mac folks don't care much for Windows systems. Some former Mac users move on to Linux, but very few ever revert to Windows. There is a reason for this.

I'm not being an obnoxious Mac fanboy; I don't get off on showing contempt for Windows or Windows users. I'm just calling 'em as I see 'em.

top topics

join