It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 2009, Ed Snowden said leakers "should be shot." Then he became one

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

arstechnica.com

It wasn't that he was unhappy. Snowden's life was becoming the adventure he'd been looking for. Moving to Switzerland hadn't been his first choice—his dream picks were in Asia and Australia—but it certainly wasn't bad. Hired by the CIA and granted a diplomatic cover, he was a regular old IT guy whose life was elevated by a hint of international intrigue.

Snowden would soon move into a four-bedroom apartment covered by the agency. He'd blow off parking tickets, citing diplomatic immunity. He'd travel the continent. He befriended an Estonian rock star ("the funniest part is he's
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Note there is some language in that 3 page article that is not too ATS friendly as a reminder.

So this guy is a 'hero' ?

Not seeing it anywhere, and the more that comes out about this guy think far too many people are building him up in their minds to something that he's is not.

This is from another site that cleaned up the language

External quote from www.theblaze.com...

Page 3 of the first link

Yeah that is some 'hero' a hypocritical one.

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Opinions change. It happens all the time.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The main thing you need to be aware of is that the U.S. is hunting him for treason, I don't care what you say, anybody hunted by the U.S. for treason IS a hero

edit on 26-6-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Free to think that however stuff like this says other wise:

Intelligence agencies in China and Russia gained access to highly classified U.S. intelligence and military information contained on electronic media held by renegade former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden, according to U.S. officials.

freebeacon.com...

“The Chinese already have everything Snowden had,” said one official who said there were intelligence reports indicating Chinese Ministry of State Security (MSS) agents have been in contact with Snowden during his month-long stay in Hong Kong.

Snowden remained in Moscow on Tuesday and U.S. officials said it is “highly likely” that several laptop computer carried by Snowden were “imaged” by Russian intelligence, which would have access to everything carried by the former NSA contractor.

Why anyone would give Russia or China anything at all tells a different story seems to me everything Snowden had would be released via media outlets instead of giving aid to two 'enemies'

Considering Russia and Chinas long history of spying themselves well 'friends' don't spy.

And it is treason as act's of aid to foreign governments by their definition.

Treason only applies to Government not the people of this country(not my definition theirs)

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
People can change their minds a whole lot in three years, maybe he didn't understand what was really going on until he saw the evidence.
I expected TPTB to start digging dirt on him but not you Neo.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
People can change their minds a whole lot in three years, maybe he didn't understand what was really going on until he saw the evidence.
I expected TPTB to start digging dirt on him but not you Neo.

What?

No idea of what clandestined organization's do?

Seriously come on everyone knows what they do.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
While watching the TV coverage of the Iraq war I thought they were doing the right thing, then I stopped watching and did some investigating, then I knew it as wrong!

Like me he may have formed those opinions before he had all the facts!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

'friends' don't spy.

Go explain that to NSA and US Govt...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I love how people are making excuses for Snowden.

He said what he said.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghostfreak1

'friends' don't spy.

Go explain that to NSA and US Govt...

Go Explain that to Russia,China,Britian,France,Isreal,Pakistan,Iran,India, and pretty much every other country in the world.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

............Of course he knew what the NSA do, my point is maybe he didn't get access to all the information when he just started, maybe he found out stuff later and then changed his mind about what the NSA really was about.
I find it puzzling that you in one thread attack the government etc and then try to smear a guy who has actually done something about that government....hhhhmm
edit on 26-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Context. It's completely out of context. People that turn tail and blow cover are usually self-serving ___holes. It's a fact of life.

Whether or not people think he is a hero, a traitor, is besides the point. For all we know his behaviour was only to secure himself in positions so he could release the information to the public. On the flip side, he was a lazy puke who never wanted to actually put effort in so once he alienated himself enough from the people around him, he fled, dropped a bomb on the public while simultaneously handing over sensitive info to Russia and China. Option 3 would be he was groomed for the part and was paid to do this whole thing, and the information released public and overseas was sanitized in an effort to make it seem like all the State operations were now in the open (while they can continue the good stuff behind closed doors.)

In any case, it boils down to context. We really know absolutely nothing about him and the case in general. What people should focus on is the information dump and not the messenger. The messenger is a distraction.

Some people will call him a traitor.

Some people will call him a hero.

Some people don't care about Snowden any more than they do a desperate housewife of reality TV.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

He said what he said.

Actions speak louder than words. Just my opinion

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

We should be suspicious of anyone that adamantly sticks to a set group of ideas and is incapable of moving beyond them or empathize with others having a different opinion...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I am attacking pretty much everyone:

Russia,China,Snowden, and our own for hiring him in the first place among other issues.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo

He said what he said.

Actions speak louder than words. Just my opinion

Yes they do

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are especially loud and clear here.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yup just because he was a dumb-ass it doesn't mean that his "dumbassery" shouldn't at times be useful and even a gesture that merits recognition.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by BrokenCircles

We should be suspicious of anyone that adamantly sticks to a set group of ideas and is incapable of moving beyond them or empathize with others having a different opinion...

That does work both ways ?

As Snowden supporters are increasing incapable of thinking anything other than Snowden cares.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
not enough facts to make any conclusion on this. For all we know the guy is still working for the NSA or was asked to leak the information on purpose.

Its not like he leaked anything that is shocking up to this point that I'm aware of. You have to have been naive to not know that the gov't wasn't already spying on its citizens.

Who ever takes him should and will surely be skeptical. What doesn't add up for me is he came out in the open and does not appear to have tried to stay anonymous as a whistle blower (although I can understand had he known that he would be tracked based on audits or if he knew they were on to him).

The interesting finale will be when and if he disappears will additional information come out?

However , calling him a hero or traitor at this time appears premature to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join