It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need provisional advice from a uk lawyer please

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Hi guys

Sorry to put this on you but my wife was sacked today, she is a school teacher and starts a new school next term so no biggie

There are a group of students that she has asked in writing (internal email) for assistance with as they have a habit of crashing her class, no help was given, twice she has received emails stating that ' something would be done about it'

But nothing was

Today they crashed her class and she had an important meeting to be at, she requested that they leave and they refused, So she gave them a count down and a warning that she would lock the door, the students refused so my wife locked the door, the classroom has a glass wall so she could see them at all times, there was no danger, the door was locked for approximately 10 seconds. Some left through the windows (ground floor) but the rest left through the door after it was unlocked (remember 10 seconds in full view) unharmed.

My wife admitted to locking the door momentarily out of frustration but staying to make sure there was no danger to the pupils.

Do we have a leg to stand on ?

Please only answer this if you have useful UK law knowledge, this is nothing to do with stars or flags, just a genuine shout out for genuine advice.

Thanks

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think it would depend on wether any of the students made or makes a complaint. I believe a possible case for false imprisonment could be made against your wife and the fact that it involves minors may have some bearing on the outcome. At this early stage I would recommend your wife to report everything including her documented request for help and the apparent failure of the school to act to her union representative immediately.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
No knowledge of English law, but some general things....

Is this going to jeopardize the new teaching job?

If not, I'd leave it alone. With minors involved, it could come back to bite you in the ass if you started making a stink.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Not that we know of, as far as we know as yet no formal complaint has been made by a pupil or guardian thereof.Iit was a fellow teacher that reported seeing pupils jumping out of the window
Unfortunately my wife failed to join a union this year

Thank you for your reply

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by hotel1

Not that we know of, as far as we know as yet no formal complaint has been made by a pupil or guardian thereof.Iit was a fellow teacher that reported seeing pupils jumping out of the window

Thank you for your reply

Cody

In that case what Gazrock suggested probably makes sense. See how it plays out, it might be a good idea for your wife to join a union right now it can be done instantly online. Unions will often take up a retrospective case and if a complaint is made after she has paid her joining fee the union will represent her.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Hence not making a stink yet

It's rare that I get this angry, I was going to rant, but that would be pointless.
And thank you for your advice
Much appreciated

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

reply to post by hotel1

Thank you for your reply

Cody

In that case what Gazrock suggested probably makes sense. See how it plays out, it might be a good idea for your wife to join a union right now it can be done instantly online. Unions will often take up a retrospective case and if a complaint is made after she has paid her joining fee the union will represent her.

Thank you it may just help
Really thank you

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
probably no cctv footage but a good idea is a spy watch or phone for the future get them on ebay

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

reply to post by hotel1

Thank you for your reply

Cody

Thank you it may just help
Really thank you

Cody

Your welcome, the drummer in my band is a school teacher and I will be seeing him tomorrow evening. I will ask him what he thinks is best and reply back then if you are still looking for advice then.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Im not in the UK, but I do believe she cannot lock anyone into anywhere. You can lock them OUT, but locking them IN is a from of imprisonment. To what extent, false imprisonment or not, Im not sure in your country.

I do know you cant lock anyone like that IN. I think that may be just-cause for disciplining her. Anything couldve happened either to them or school property.

PS I wouldnt suggest professional legal opinion from an Internet Conspiracy website! There are free legal services-consultations available in every country!
edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by billdadobbie

cctv is recorded in the corridor
but not in the classroom

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Any advice is gratefully received

Thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by hotel1

Any advice is gratefully received

Thanks

There is no need to thank me I know from your postings you are a thoroughly decent human being as I am sure your good wife is. Helping someone such as yourself is its own reward.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I'm sure the OP is just looking for general advice. I've had some legal training, and some legal experience, but by no means am I a lawyer nor do I claim to be one. I have been taught by judges, know judges, and done a little of my own legal stuff though, to at least have more than average insight. Still, I would never advise taking any legal action without consulting a licensed and practicing attorney (or solicitor or barrister).

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

This isnt my area, but a couple of things-
1. What was she sacked for?
2. Will it effect her new job.
3. how long was she at school.

If she was dismissed for misconduct, that potentially will prevent her taking up her new job, so worth fighting about.If it doesnt, put it down to experience and dont worry about it. Do come clean to the new school though-they'll find out anyway when they take up references.

If she was at her old school less than 2 years she cant claim for unfair dismissal.

I should add she will have had a power to impose detention in accordance with the school policy, which she should have received-if necessary I would claim she was exercising that power.

What I would do is go on the law society website (www.lawsociety.org.uk...) and look for a solicitor near you who does education law and a free initial consultation.

Sorry I cant be more help.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thank you
Without demeaning any advice given tonight

We're a tad tired and emotional and thank you all for your input and thoughts

May angels sleep on your pillows

Cody and Mrs C

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Is there a case that they made your wife fear for her own safety? If so she was entitled to lock the door.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Good morning all

New day and a clear head
Thank you for your posts it is very much appreciated

I've asked Mrs C to call the union on this one, it's not about money it's about seeing the kids learn the consequences of their actions.

I'll let you know if she follows through and any resulting actions

Thanks again

Cody

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

That just does not seem right somehow, i mean, this should normally be classed as detention?

I hope you can find some professional help Cody?

Good luck and take care and my very best to Mrs C.

Warmest respects

Rod

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I'm in the US but I'd really advise against her saying anything. New job, fresh start. Any action brought against these kids is going to put her actions under a magnifying glass and I'm welling to bet she broke the law BIG TIME.

In the US if you lock someone in a room it's a BIG deal. Unlawful detainment is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and with that many kids I can see it snowballing out of control and ruining her career and both of your lives. I mean jail time and tens of thousands (if not more) for each kid that was held.

We just had a case in the US where a guy locked a group of kids he found vandalizing his property ($50,000 + in damage) in a closet until the police arrived. He's looking at over ten years in jail time. Now he apparently abused them, but these kids could easily claim the same thing and really this is not a fight I would want to pick unless I was insanely rich, bored and thought my wife did nothing wrong.

i'd really back away from this one. Frankly, I think your wife messed up big time and exhibited horrible decision making. I get the kids were most likely little punks, but she's an adult in a position of power. I would press charges against your wife if I found out she had done that to my child, even if they were being an insufferable brat. I realize that everyone has a breaking point, and I get why your wife did what she did. I wouldn't be so understanding if I learned my kid was locked up even for a minute. Also consider these kids may come from poor families who would love the chance to earn a buck.

My best advice is to retain legal counsel and shut the hell up about it. You made a VERY dumb move even asking here. How do you know one of these students isn't on this site, or perhaps one of the parents? I'd recommend asking a mod to delete this thread, and only speaking about this incident to a trusted attorney.

I wish you luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join