It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PRISM proof your phone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
www.digitaltrends.com...

When it comes to securing communication on your phone, encryption is the key word. We’re looking past the standard SSL encryption that most email services provide, as unencrypted versions of your data are kept by most companies. Instead, we’ll want to go to end-to-end encryption services which will encrypt your data on your device, send it off, and decrypt it when it arrives. This leaves no middle man to hold onto the data and possibly pass it along to a snooping government official.

I don't use any of these programs so I can't vouche for any. According to them though both people need these programs or it is only encrypted on one side. Most of these applications have a fee or subscription.

It seems everything have a different program. One for emails, one for texting, one for calls ect..
They can add up and get pricey. Not to mention if whoever your sending to doesn't have these programs its only works on your side.

RedPhone users may want to turn their attention to TextSecure as it comes from the same developer, WhisperSystems, as the encrypted voice call app. Rather than go the instant messaging route like Gibberbot or ChatSecure, TextSecure is an SMS/MMS app for Android that replaces the default text messaging app. While the same rules apply here as in previous instances, you’ll need to talk with another person using the app for end-to-end encryption

So my question is. Does anyone know if they work. If they do does anyone know if they are worth the money or know of any free variants?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

It sounds cool but don't spend much is my advice. The NSA have had their own techno-geeks in the boardrooms and lab complexes of the people making the chips themselves. Do you really think any software of this nature is likely to do more than make them wonder enough to look when otherwise, they may not have noticed?

The only thing which seems to work....and the fact Julian Assange is still alive is proof of it, every day, is 256 ACE encryption standards. What the "Insurance File" is made from and the NSA is still hammering away at (along with half the world of amateur code crackers). No dice yet...so it seems to work. I wouldn't give a nickle for anything else.

We don't even known to guess the level of code and tech they are using to break in. How can anything defend against total unknowns?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Totally agree with you. Which is why I was wondering if there was any free variants. They know what we have and we don't know what they have. Can't fight against something you don't know.

Eta: But something is better then nothing imo.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

PGP seemed promising for things based on it. Especially when the NSA was up in arms and talking about having the whole thing shut down somehow. (that would have been fun to watch attempted). Then they got all happy and content all the sudden and dropped all their fighting against it. I haven't trusted that since.... So I dunno outside encryption. I wouldn't trust that if we didn't have literal living proof of it's effectiveness. Scary times, huh?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The problem with end to end is that it requires something at the far end to understand the encrypted stream and decode it and for most people its too much like hard work when you need to get the other person to install the software and given most mobile users just expect it to work, also sending encrypted traffic over the mobile network will be bound to raise a flag with the spooks and then they'll be able to work out who you are by triangulating your point from cell tower strengths etc so then they'll just bug your home/car etc and listen in/watch what you're saying in real time

The only true way to be prism proof would be to do some slight reconfiguration to its physical form via a 10lb lump hammer and then melt down the remains until its just a gloop

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The only true way to be prism proof would be to do some slight reconfiguration to its physical form via a 10lb lump hammer and then melt down the remains until its just a gloop

Think the cellular device loses efficiency with that method

I get your point though. Thanks for the input.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
and risk not drawing agents, spooks and organized gangstalkers out of the woodwork?

Why would i want to do a thing like that?...this is way too much fun.

Keep hacking, cracking, snooping, and deploying to your hearts content.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

How about completely eliminating the potential by Not Owning a Cell Phone.

A couple of years ago it was announced that the Alphabet Agencies had the ability to turn on the speaker to your cell phone with out the phone even being turned on.

Didn't anyone get a clue from this?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I use textsecure and redphone on my Android and the only problem I have with them is I made my passphase for text secure about 40 characters long and is kind of annoying to put it in every time. Text secure had some bugs early on when they first developed it but they seemed to have worked them out.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I wonder if there's something like TrueCrypt available for phones?

I'm guessing you'd have to root your phone for it to work correctly, plus I don't know how it would work sending info across the network either.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I have no confidence that data security firms have an answer to the NSA's cryptography systems and experts. Frankly speaking, unless there are methods available which make communications not only encrypted, but invisible to the servers through which they travel, perhaps riding along with other data, masking the senders location, and the destination point, as well as using esoteric quantum methods to encrypt the data, the idea of PRISM proofing any telecommunications is virtually moot.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The problem with end to end is that it requires something at the far end to understand the encrypted stream and decode it and for most people its too much like hard work when you need to get the other person to install the software and given most mobile users just expect it to work, also sending encrypted traffic over the mobile network will be bound to raise a flag with the spooks and then they'll be able to work out who you are by triangulating your point from cell tower strengths etc so then they'll just bug your home/car etc and listen in/watch what you're saying in real time

look you are all being silly.

with billions of calls,chats,emails it is impossible for even a million NSA snoopers to know anything about you.

The NSA are a bunch of traitors to humanity anyway and are THEMSELVES SUBJECT TO THE VERY SAME SNOOPING they are subjecting us to.

that includes all the crooks in congress and the senate.

new topics

top topics

join