It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If your Country instituted a Draft/Conscription would you go or dodge it?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I think there should be a draft of non military service to reconstruct the country's ifrastructure.
Not to fight, just fixing our energy systems, roadways and other support structures. Perhaps a "Thunderbirds"type group who has a budget like the military for rescue and recovery. We could use some of those heavy lift semi rigid blimps for example,hell THAT could be our "foreign legion"
Mandatory service at 18 or right after high school.Just no military indoctrination or training. Something to teach the young to become functional adults instead of just tossing them to the wolves to find jobs and their lives.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I think there should be a draft of non military service to reconstruct the country's ifrastructure.
Not to fight, just fixing our energy systems, roadways and other support structures. Perhaps a "Thunderbirds"type group who has a budget like the military for rescue and recovery. We could use some of those heavy lift semi rigid blimps for example,hell THAT could be our "foreign legion"
Mandatory service at 18 or right after high school.Just no military indoctrination or training. Something to teach the young to become functional adults instead of just tossing them to the wolves to find jobs and their lives.

Now thats something I would not object too.

And could do something world wide of benifit.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Unfortunately we would need LEADERS not puppets or paid party members.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well this thread made me think about what I would do.. It was to the point I decided to write a story on it..

Surviving getting screwed over -- WWIII

You see the secret all of you who would dodge miss.. If you can play your cards right.. It is easier to hide in the military during a war..

( hint.. Air traffic controller)

As for a civilian draft to repair the infrastructure.. How is one form of forced servitude morally different then the other. Are we arguing the difference between the merits of being a household slave and a field slave..

I thought the whole general point of the argument was that it was wrong to force labor.. Its were your arguments went in between the lines...

As for voting to go to war.. It should be handled the way heinlein suggested in a book of his..

The only ones able to decide if we go to war are those who could be drafted to fight it. Everyone who votes yes gets orders to report in thirty days for training if we go to war. You get to go second..

Those who didnt vote on it but were eligible go first

Those who voted no, go last

Not eligible to fight, not eligible to vote on this matter..

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Can't fool me I got you with the "Thunderbirds thing huh?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7

Can't fool me I got you with the "Thunderbirds thing huh?

I have to addmit I have never seen it

Originally posted by ripcontrol

As for a civilian draft to repair the infrastructure.. How is one form of forced servitude morally different then the other. Are we arguing the difference between the merits of being a household slave and a field slave..

No it a way to serve ones country in a positive way that would benifit were ever you are sent.

Fighting , dieng and killing for the whim of a politican is bad and no one should be forced to do that unless its life or death for that country,

Going out digging wells and building roads in disadvantaged areas for a year or two is not going to hurt anyone and could do alot of good diplomaticaly.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

You see the secret all of you who would dodge miss.. If you can play your cards right.. It is easier to hide in the military during a war..

That makes sense but you would have to enlist voluntarily to ensure that you get a cheesy MOS (in the rear with the gear). If you are drafted, you’re open contract. That means you will be placed where the military needs you; you have no choice. You would also be guaranteeing your service rather than rolling the dice and hoping your number isn’t called. At least with the draft there is a chance you won’t get called and there’s always a chance you can get out of it (full time student, only child, single parent, etc).

What you described is exactly what GB and others have done. I’m sure there were numerous people during the 60’s that did that, too. It makes sense!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, I'm more than a few years beyond this question being relevant. It's good to know so many members are young enough for the Selective Service and Draft Boards to be a factor in thinking.

In my personal thinking, running isn't just illegal it's the utter coward's path and I'll help hunt down the draft dodgers myself if opportunity arose for it.

People want to whine, complain and bitch about the nation that gives them the place, food and shelter to bitch from (or the opportunity needed to have all that in abundance) then run for the hills if/when the call ever comes to fulfill the obligations of a citizen? Oh hell no.

If the policy sucks, change it. If the people starting war suck, stop the whining and drop the Doritos to go help change THAT. Waiting until FINALLY bad policy touches each person directly....then running like a rat in the night? Well... I can't respect that one bit. If one can't get their butts to change the system in peace, they can eat the cost in war.......with a rifle or with a mop on a cell block. Either way works for me.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: ATS's Interal editor can't seem to handle Ding Dongs as a snack food name

I'll dodge the war....

and have my homemade suppressors+arsenal of weapons waiting in my homemade bunker for a dark, moonless night when I can unleash that brain bursting hollow point through the skull of someone as unpatriotic as you, to think it's okay to step on someone else's freedom of draft dodging

our forefathers decided to run from their own motherland and start anew on foreign soil that was not there's... kill off the inhabitants and/or enslave them... all in the name of freedom.... then draft dodging is entirely acceptable to true patriots... this is not Caligula's Rome nor Stalin's Soviet Union.... or is it? Wrabbit? Do we not have a say on what line to live or die on?

I was born on this soil and on this soil shall I dig my own grave, get your hands off my shovel and tend to yours... as I don't grab your shovel and dig yours.... do I? But if you so choose to intrude on my shovel's namesake.... then so shall I on yours.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I will give you this.. If they issue a draft for a war.. It would be smart to send some to build better infrastructure.. Not to mention the need to guard it.

I know I sound contradictory, but

there is a difference between what I think of the situation and how I would handle it..

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Having been on the receiving end with out Vaseline.. A second time around F$%^ that.. I am older now, so I am betting age and experience against youth and enthusiasm

However with my luck I would be screwed and I know it.. So the best bet is to buy as much time as possible...

My thought tree for those interested..

Dodge the draft
lose benefits
lose freedom

no dodge
I can can control process to some degree
cant rejoin so I have to play some cards- local representatives help.. not ask for avoidance- ask for jobs

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Depends if my country was getting invaded I guess.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Unless it's an NFL draft,count me out.
So Dodge!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

It makes sense to me and no matter how you want to perceive it it's defined as you see it for me. What you deem lawful or just or honorable is not the same for others either. Perceptions are and odd thing. I don't believe and forcing anyone to engage in war for any reason if it's against there will. I stated that clearly. My reasoning is about my fellow Americans. It's war and war is pure hell. I am a far cry from being a patriotic fool. But I am more than aware of my obligations and responsibilities beyond the opinions of others. It comes down to me and me alone to decide. Object if you will but rest assured that if ever the time came and you were forced against your wil to fight in a war you didn't support or agree with that many men and women like me would answer the cal to have your back in combat purely to secure your life and the lives of fellow Americans beyond the politics and bs.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join