It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court on Prop 8: Gay Marriage Legal in California

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

If the sun shines I will be there

Always wanted to visit Africa, I nearly wed a south african in my younger days...boy I miss her joyful smile

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Originally posted by BriGuyTM90
You defiantly don't need to get married to some one to do any of those things.

No, you don't NEED to get married. You might CHOOSE to, though...
You don't NEED to own a gun, either. You might CHOOSE to, though...
You don't NEED to have children. You might CHOOSE to, though...
You don't NEED to drive a car. You might CHOOSE to, though...
You don't NEED to vote. You might CHOOSE to, though...

This is freedom. Freedom to choose how to operate in your own personal life. Freedom to make decisions about your life... Freedom to do things differently than other people.

I'm just gonna do my own thing.

Exactly. And I support you in that. I've actually been married for 21 years.
I think everyone should have that same CHOICE.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Originally posted by cass1dy09
Welcome to America where 8 million people can vote against something and it can still get overturned.

Yes. If it's discriminatory, it sure can. Remember slavery? Remember when women couldn't even vote? Remember when blacks were considered 3/5ths of a person? That's why the majority rule doesn't always work.

God Bless America!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

This is an important point many people neglect. Prop 8 was only passed because of money and influence OUTSIDE of California. It's CALIFORNIA, people! One of the two most liberal states in the nation! You think the citizens of that state would vote to end gay marriage? Seriously? Polls showed overwhelming support for gay marriage.

This really says it best...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Originally posted by wiser3
For sure, if I ever decide to marry you will definitely get an invite, as will the Benevolent one! Hope you guys are prepared for a trip to darkest Africa?

I'm honored! And you can believe that I'll be there in spirit!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

You are soooooo funny! Tell us more about the gay mafia, the insiduous creeping of the gays into positions of power etc etc, etc. Please!!!!

Why don't you just pray to your all powerful almighty to strike us down before we rule the world? Surely he can do that to his own gay creations!

Paranoid much?

ps. it's Take heed not take head!
edit on 27/6/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Dear boymonkey74,

I've been accused of over-emphasixing semantics, and if that's the case here, fell free to ignore it. I'm curious about something you said:

Can people now stop saying that homosexuality is an abomination and such, I consider this as hate speech pure and simply and hate speech is against T&C.
Gay marriage is legal...most of the world is making it legal deal with it or please leave this planet.
I can understand, and agree with, that saying "homosexuals are an abomination" is wrong.

Are you also saying that "homosexuality is an abomination" is hate speech? If so, I'd like to explore that with you.

By the way, what does legality or illegality have to do with whether something is an abomination? History has shown us abominations which were legal.

With respect,
Charle1952

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Black Pastors Condemn Gay-Marriage Rulings
www.newsmax.com...

"We are devastated that the Supreme Court succumbed to political pressure by voting to weaken the sacred institution. They neglected our most precious children who need a mother and a father united in marriage for healthy development," the Rev. William Owens, president of CCAP, said in a statement Wednesday after the rulings that bolstered same-sex marriage, the Atlanta Daily World reported.

The Memphis-based organization has launched a marriage petition on its website and was to hold a news conference with prominent clergy on Wednesday afternoon.

"The African-American community has already been plagued with problems related to children growing up in single-parent households. This ruling will only accelerate the further erosion of our communities and society," Owens said.

Owens said the CAAP "will not give up on marriage as the solid social institution recognized by cultures worldwide. It is time for African-Americans and the Christian community to rise up and renew their efforts to protect marriage and strengthen the families in their communities.

"African-Americans pay a disproportionate price as collateral damage of the aggressive gay agenda, and it will take leaders across the country to resist the cultural shift on marriage," he said.

Just thought I would throw this in the heap, mainly because I had a topic that said most if not many democrats are more conservative then most conservatives, they are using the democratic party because it suits their agenda, the pendulum will swing back hard in a few decades all the rights you fought for will diminish because of who you aligned yourselves with.

"African-Americans pay a disproportionate price as collateral damage of the aggressive gay agenda,

I wonder what he meant by that?

93 percent of African-Americans voted for Obama, what exactly did they expect?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Obama clashes with African host over gay rights
another example, most American Muslims vote democrat.

Obama clashes with African host over gay rights
hosted.ap.org...

Senegal, one of many African countries that outlaw homosexuality.

Senegalese President Macky Sall rebuffed Obama's call for Africans to give gays equal rights under the law.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Just my thoughts...

Define abomination.
Define hate speech. (Legal or informal?)

I mean, that's the only way it can be decided, right? If we're using the same definitions for words. Here is a place to start. If you have different definitions, I'll be glad to hear them.

Informally:
abomination - A thing that causes disgust or hatred.
hate speech - speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

Let's take "abomination". Does homosexuality cause disgust or hatred? Not in me. But I know some feel it does. I think it all depends on how much responsibility one takes for his/her own emotions and feelings.

For example, If I take 100% responsibility for my own feelings, I would say that homosexuality itself does not CAUSE feelings of disgust or hatred in me. It's my own context, views and opinions about homosexuality that CAUSE the feelings. (and I gotta tell you, I find the thought of two men having sex repulsive - but I know that's my opinion and it's CAUSED by my own "stuff", like the fact that I am pretty much heterosexual and female, and have a certain context that I've been raised in.)

On the other hand, someone who sees their feelings as caused by external forces (other people or their actions) will say that homosexuality CAUSES their feelings of disgust or hatred. They will blame something external for the way they feel.

Now "hate speech". Does saying that "homosexuality is an abomination" qualify as an "attack"? Again, to some, it does, to others, it's simply a statement of fact.

Here's where I come down: I take responsibility for my own feelings, so I don't say that homosexuality is an abomination because a: I am neither disgusted nor hate-filled about it. And b: my feelings are not caused by homosexuality. They are cause be me and my context in life.

If people wish to say or think that homosexuality is an abomination, they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

edit on 6/27/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I asked a mod and the mod said it does so I will report anyone who uses that word to describe a fellow human being.
If I used that word to describe any minority group I would get a T&C notice so I think it is fair that the word should not be used to describe anyone period.
edit on 27-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Now everyone can be miserable

Monkey pretty sharp sometimes.
Monkey make me laugh.

Snf
edit on 27-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Also people are using their Religion to justify attacking a minority group, this is just as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church saying God hates fags, ATS wouldn't allow that nor should any website that believes in equal rights for all.
If you do not like gay people fine but stop trying to spread hate speech veiled under your religious beliefs.
Freedom for religion but also freedom FROM religion.
Religion should not be used as a tool of hate.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Also people are using their Religion to justify attacking a minority group, t

Well you won't catch me do'in that Monk. Not anywhere in this entire network have I ever tried
setting my belief in Christ against anyone. I believe it's wrong. I believe it casts stones. I believe
it's judgment that belongs to no human. I always offer hope for all. That's what my master has
asked of us. And I obey my one king.

That's all I have to say about that there.
edit on 27-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
im for both straight and gay rights.

good job cali

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well,thats great news!
The right to the pursit of happiness.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Condragulations to my home state!

One step closer to Equality

for all the Straight allies out there, as one person, i thank you for standing up for Equality, for wanting equality for all,

to others in the LGBT commutation who are living with this fight for equality, that must sit by as others 'Vote' on what we can and can't do, and what is considered 'Legal' as a Human thank you for staying strong

Unity in Equality

You're welcome. Just remember that you do not have a monopoly on the rainbow, k? Fair's fair.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Your title is misleading and false. The Supreme Court didn't rule that Prop 8 was valid or not. It remanded it to the lower courts due; effectively stating either come up with a better argument and show cause or let the People of the State of California decided (which was done with Prop 8).

Doesn't matter though. Only a handful of ATS members have enough critical thinking skills to see that.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I actually do know that and have explained it to several other people. That's why I wrote the title as I did. We had been waiting for the Supreme Court to speak to Prop 8 and the result is that gay marriage is legal in CA.

The meat of my post states:
The S. Ct. does not decide, 5-4.
The Supreme Court has dismissed a closely-watched appeal

And I included a link to the Source and the Decision.

I'm sorry you don't like my title, but it's important to read PAST the title.

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
The Supreme Court didn't rule that Prop 8 was valid or not.

And my title doesn't say it did. Don't blame me for your misreading.

edit on 7/2/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join