It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional by Supreme Court

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

A judgement has been made, and yet we are all still here...being a person of God you should know that love always overcomes fear in due time...Perhaps you should get over your own personal fears, then maybe life wont be so scary for you when faced with change.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This whole ruling just proves that governments should go away.

With that being said it is unfair that couples are not free to enter to a legal partnership with an adult of their choosing. This ruling will have the biggest impact on same sex military families considering married soldiers in same sex relationships are treated and paid as single members. This will mean that gay families will get housing benefits and get to be together instead of the soldier getting shipped off for possibly years at a time with no separation pay or monthly allowance for housing like heterosexual couples. Their partners will be able to move with them.

For same sex couples their partners won't be deported anymore. This is good news for people and I have had personal experience with discrimination and also had many friends who lost loved ones to the inequality.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BuffDaddy

I don't disagree in principle. But polygamy would make the legal system a nightmare, because for all intents and purposes legally it isnt just one spouse taking another, it is both spouses taking in another spouse. So when one dies who gets preference? Is it spouse number 1, 2, 3, or 27? It would be a huge burden on an already heavily burdened legal system.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The presstitutes for the MSM now have another distraction to keep the people naive to the government corruption.
edit on 6/26/2013 by ontarff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I'll be the first to say it.

Let the moral fabric of this country continue to unwind.

edit on 26-6-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Any Christian should know only God determines the morality of people by the persons heart.......
If it were by their acts against God's word.....well.....i dont know many "Christians" that will see Heaven

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The DSM in psychology, listed the act of homosexuality as a mental illness. Now what amazes me the most, is the fact that the removal of this diagnosis had more to do with academia & political correctness, then anything learned by those that studied the mind.

Think about that, the court of public opinion changed a mental disease.

Let's try that out with other illness' shall we? Just "believe" that it isn't real. doesn't affect you in any way, and don't bother going to see a doctor. Let's see how that works out.

Now some can straw man back and say "Well we no longer lobotomize slow/mentally deficient ppl either", and while that's true. (obviously & thank god) we also know more how the mend works. But this decision isn't based upon a better understanding of the mind, but public opinion.

You guys really trip me out sometimes.

/puts on asbestos suit.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schadenfreude
You guys really trip me out sometimes./puts on asbestos suit.
Why get your knickers in a knot? Really!

It's been legal in Canada for some time now and the only discernible effect has been some foaming at the mouth by the usual suspects...but even then, not enough to scare the horses.

I'd say you folks have got a whole lot more to worry about.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

So then,what happens when scientists discover that Homosexuality is a genetic trait?And that you can "turn" it off?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Just chiming in to say that I'm happy to see this decision. The federal government has no right to regulate marriage and as such it is now back to the states to decide on their own, as it should be.

+1 to the supreme court for restricting the power of the fed.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Good. As soon as we get past these distraction issues we can finally start voting on real issues and we won't be voting in these garbage politicians like Obama (or whoever is on the other side). People will have to look past gay marriage and abortion to REAL issues.

If you want equal rights faster, vote libertarian sooner.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shimri

Originally posted by amazing
Good for equal rights! Old Testament, Abrahamic laws and thinking have no place in today's world!

Really?

Do not murder. Do not steal. Don't sleep with your neighbor's husband/wife. Don't murder. Respect your parents. Respect your elders. Do not charge interest to your fellow citizen. Give to the poor and needy. Support orphans. Support widows. Take care of the Earth and it's inhabitants. Drink wine and eat BBQ. Take a day off every seven days. Take a year off every seven years. All debts are cancelled every seven years. Don't have intercourse with your family members. Don't have intercourse with animals.

No place in today's world!
edit on 26-6-2013 by Shimri because: (no reason given)

Oh you forgot: Don't cut your hair, don't wear a fabric made with more than one fiber, don't plant more than one crop in the same filed, if a woman does enough wrong, stone her to death.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckwhizzle
reply to post by schadenfreude

So then,what happens when scientists discover that Homosexuality is a genetic trait?And that you can "turn" it off?

Human sexuality is far too complicated to come down to a gene. So yes, there will always be homosexuals, even if scientists "think" they find a gene - which by the way no one has - they would never be able to "turn off" homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

The DSM in psychology, listed the act of homosexuality as a mental illness. Now what amazes me the most, is the fact that the removal of this diagnosis had more to do with academia & political correctness, then anything learned by those that studied the mind.

Let's try that out with other illness' shall we? Just "believe" that it isn't real. doesn't affect you in any way, and don't bother going to see a doctor. Let's see how that works out.

Now some can straw man back and say "Well we no longer lobotomize slow/mentally deficient ppl either", and while that's true. (obviously & thank god) we also know more how the mend works. But this decision isn't based upon a better understanding of the mind, but public opinion.

/puts on asbestos suit.

Public opinion has just as much genuine reasoning behind it in this case, since it was basically public opinion that defined homosexuality as a disease to begin with.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by DirtyLiberalHippie

That is wonderful news. It's about time. Now, we just need to push for legalizing gay marriage in every state. There is really no reason to not allow it.

Thank God each state has the right to make their own laws. You cannot force this through on a federal level to all states, that's unconstitutional. Currently only 12 states allow gay marriage - a huge minority. I don't feel like giving any more minorities special rights they do not deserve. It's gonna be a cold day in Hell thank God when all states get around to applying this - and we will all be dead by then. Yeah.. I'm laughing. Just think of the extra money the state has to put out as well as the IRS to make this happen and I'll tell you.. it's something I don't want my tax dollars going to.

Hah, these 12 states happened in just the last few years - so much for your idea that you'll be dead by the time they all do. Just a matter of time - almost certainly in your lifetime.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
So people think asking someone else's permission to marry is a 'victory' ?

Interesting oh and Maybe Clinton should never signed it in to law.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

/puts on asbestos suit.

Nice work interpreting this exactly backwards. Psychologists since the late nineteenth century have known homosexuality was prevalent throughout the population and possibly non-pathological. (Even Freud thought all humans were fundamentally bisexual to some degree.) Since at least Evelyn Hooker's work in 1956, it was well established that homosexuals were as well-adjusted and healthy as heterosexuals. Why did it take so long to figure this out? Because of the centuries-long stigma attached to homosexuality "in public opinion." And it took even longer to actually incorporate this legitimate research into institutional reference works.
edit on 27-6-2013 by buckrogerstime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Of course he should never have signed the Law, same sex marriage should never have been something people had to vote on, it should have been a right as much as "Straight Marriage"

the fact is that we had to fight, and are still fighting with this, is this a huge victory? maybe not as much as it should be, but it is a step in the right direction

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
As if the good old USA didn't have enough wrong with it.
Now this has been passed.No way will we get back to the nation
we once were.Rest assured God will not let this go.

Luke 17:26-29

26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

If you don't believe just sit back an watch.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Still waiting for that fire and brimstone you extreme Christians have been threatening the country with for years.
This country and even most of the world does not revolve around your 2000 year old book.

A book that most of you conveniently pick and choose which "laws" to follow anyway.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Good Point.

I think there is a political / financial agenda with the whole issue.

I Myself am neutral on this.

But I find it odd that many who now are jumping up and down with joy are some of the very ones that voted FOR DOMA in the first place.

Strange how they change their tunes......

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid called Wednesday’s Supreme Court ruling striking down the Defense of Marriage Act “a great, historic day for equality in America.”

He went on: “The idea that allowing two loving, committed people to marry would have a negative impact on anyone else, or on our nation as a whole, has always struck me as absurd.”

Pretty strong words from a guy who voted for the Defense of Marriage Act.

Dems voted for DOMA, cheered its end
Hmmm.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join