It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOMA Ruled Unconstitutional by Supreme Court

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shimri

Originally posted by amazing
Good for equal rights! Old Testament, Abrahamic laws and thinking have no place in today's world!

Really?

Do not murder. Do not steal. Don't sleep with your neighbor's husband/wife. Don't murder. Respect your parents. Respect your elders. Do not charge interest to your fellow citizen. Give to the poor and needy. Support orphans. Support widows. Take care of the Earth and it's inhabitants. Drink wine and eat BBQ. Take a day off every seven days. Take a year off every seven years. All debts are cancelled every seven years. Don't have intercourse with your family members. Don't have intercourse with animals.

No place in today's world!
edit on 26-6-2013 by Shimri because: (no reason given)

Take a year off every seven years? What? Why isn't this implemented more often? I'd like to have a whole year to not worry about work or school

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So they got the civil rights to the folks that need it and they didn't step on states rights while doing it? Man ... the rest of the government (POTUS, House, Senate) should take a cue on how to get things right from the SCOTUS. Awesome

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Huh, my straight marriage didn't suddenly spontaneously combust like so many DOMA supporters have been screaming. Imagine that...

This is a wonderful day in the fight for equal rights.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

As far as I understand, there is no recourse against this ruling at the federal level. It's unconstitutional to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

reply to post by camaro68ss

Originally posted by camaro68ss
correction, i guess it only Allows gays to have the same benefits in states that allow gay marrige. but still makes gay marrige a state issue?

Yes. The same FEDERAL benefits.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
One thing out of the feds and back to the states and how many more to go? I was glad to see this pass, maybe a sign that equality is actually coming?

On a plus note read on twitter (tongue in cheek) that bravo is going to start airing gay divorce court.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Federal recognition of everyone's right to the pursuit of happiness is one step closer.

Good job America.

"We preach tolerance and legislate hatred"

Soon that will no longer be the case.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Havent finished reading the ruling yet but it sounds like all its doing is extending federal "benefits" like joint filing and federal employee spousal benefits to couples married in states that have acknowledged gay marriage but does nothing to affect states which do not acknowledge gay marriage.

Seems the ruling then would allow people to claim unequal treatment by various states under other constitutional clauses.

To me the issue has always been an oddity when reading the constitution because.....well... when I read "equal" it literally means equal.

The government has no business legislating peoples private lives period.

Under cake and eat it theory it should now be possible for firearm owners to make "equal" treatment cases on this precedent anywhere discrimination occurs on federal level or lets say federal discrimination regarding the holding of a heath insurance policy etc. etc.

To those opposed to this I'd say start looking where you actually suffer unequal treatment under the law and go from there - good ruling constitutionally that has silver lining if you get off the single subject and use precedent.

The real point to me is the theory that we should ALL be left alone to our beliefs - genius of the way constitution was written but not followed for political reasons couched in morality.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So now I have to ask what happens when a same-sex couple marries in a state that recognizes their marriage moves to a state that does not.

Their marriage isnt valid in that state? The fed wont have to recognize it either?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
so this is the only defining moment in Obama's career.
This is what he will be remembered with, 'Obama was president when homosexuals were finally allowed to marry'

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So now I have to ask what happens when a same-sex couple marries in a state that recognizes their marriage moves to a state that does not.

Their marriage is not valid in that state? The fed wont have to recognize it either?

There is a separate case I believe to remove that provision from DOMA, but as it stands, any state can choose to not recognize a marriage from another state, even if the FED does.

|Tenth

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
so this is the only defining moment in Obama's career.
This is what he will be remembered with, 'Obama was president when homosexuals were finally allowed to marry'

If Obama goes into history as a great President. I think we will all have our proof that hiding the truth is half of writing history...

Sad but oh so true.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Before name calling and attacks commence, and the topic gets derailed, i must say that as much as Gun issues are big for some, and religious reasons big for some, this was big for the Equality of all Humans this is not forcing anyone to believe or forcing our sexuality on you, this is just one step closer to equality amongst people

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Gay people have legal benefits rights now? OMG, you guys! My lesbian side is stirring, I think I'll divorce my husband pronto and find a butchy stereotype to shack up with thanks to this decision from the SCOTUS!
Not. This isn't Pavlov's damn dog with the bell.

It's excellent to see they're finally going to get the same benefits as the rest of us, and I betcha all the world's gold that this won't alter society in any earth-shattering detrimental way. I look forward to discussing this with my grandchildren in several decades, and will welcome the astute observation of "My god, you geezers were ass-backwards back then, what took so long to get equality for everyone?"

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
And here I thought Obama would be remembered as the man who was President when the truth that Republicans will serve their corporate masters at the cost of the country became widespread knowledge.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Their marriage isnt valid in that state? The fed wont have to recognize it either?

If a hetero couple move to a different state, their marriage is still valid. This ruling only applies to federal benefits.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Huge victory, woohoo!

We still have a ways to go though. But for now I'll just be happy.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Of course DOMA was unconstitutional: Nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government given the task of regulating marriage.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Havent finished reading the ruling yet but it sounds like all its doing is extending federal "benefits" like joint filing and federal employee spousal benefits to couples married in states that have acknowledged gay marriage but does nothing to affect states which do not acknowledge gay marriage.

Seems the ruling then would allow people to claim unequal treatment by various states under other constitutional clauses.

To me the issue has always been an oddity when reading the constitution because.....well... when I read "equal" it literally means equal.

The government has no business legislating peoples private lives period.

Under cake and eat it theory it should now be possible for firearm owners to make "equal" treatment cases on this precedent anywhere discrimination occurs on federal level or lets say federal discrimination regarding the holding of a heath insurance policy etc. etc.

To those opposed to this I'd say start looking where you actually suffer unequal treatment under the law and go from there - good ruling constitutionally that has silver lining if you get off the single subject and use precedent.

The real point to me is the theory that we should ALL be left alone to our beliefs - genius of the way constitution was written but not followed for political reasons couched in morality.

While I totally agree with your last point, gun ownership is a "Choice", while most believe that attraction to the same sex is not.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
If a hetero couple move to a different state, their marriage is still valid. This ruling only applies to federal benefits.

Yes, but the states don't HAVE to recognize any marriages from other states. It just happens that they all do recognize straight marriages from other states. thisguyrighthere has a great question.

If a gay couple gets married in Minnesota (where it's legal) and then moves to Illinois (no gay marriage) do they still get the federal benefits?

From what I've read, it could be confusing.

Legal experts say repeal could cause confusion among couples who live in one of 38 states where same-sex marriage is not legal. Some benefits like tax breaks for married couples and Social Security survivorship might not be available, depending on the state.

Federal agencies use a number of different criteria to determine if a couple is eligible for benefits. For example, most federal agencies use one or a combination of the following rules to determine whether a couple is "married": the state where a couple married, where they reside or where they work.

ABC

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The fight for equality is not over, and as this was a big step in the right direction, until it's fully recognized we are still on the quest for equality,

gay, straight, black, white we deserve the Freedoms and Equality, it's not a one sided fight

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join