It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sue Walmart?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Okay, lets just say I have been working at the local Walmart for almost 2 months now. We still get paper checks, get called back and pick them up in person. Oh yeah, don't work at Walmart, just...don't.

Now on to the question.

So first of all, Walmart manager gave my check to someone who wasn't me (found out when I went in to get it and they couldn't find it). Surprise!

Mystery person went to the same Walmart and cashed my check at their banking center. Either a: forged my signature, or b: employee cashing the check didn't ask for ID.

So for 2 days I was checking back in, we get paid every two weeks, so of course an extra two days is a long time to wait for money that is supposed to be reliable in its delivery. Loved how I was asked more than one time by management "Do you really need the money?"

So they give my check to a random person, and then go on to cash that check in the very same store. Then ask me is i needed the money I worked for?

Any legal action I could take?

And does anybody believe this is just blown out of proportion, or is this a bigger issue that may plague Walmart all over the place.

What criminal wouldn't want to know they can steal someone's check and go to your friendly Walmart and have it cashed?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Check with your state labor board, they could be liable to pay you a fine per every day they don't pay you what you are owed.

Again that depends on state.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

I think you should sue just so you will lose the lawsuit and waste a bunch of your money that you probably didn't even work that hard to earn. Quit crying and blaming a 2.1 million associate organization for something that they have absolutely zero control over. The manager obviously made a mistake, take it up with him, don't blame an entire organization for one person's mistakes.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

You can ask you local police department to investigate a theft. If you're lucky they would maybe look at the surveillance tapes for a couple of hours. It shouldn't be that hard you know what day it was cashed in so the time stamp is to your advantage. But it's all wishful thinking. There's the labor board too.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Suck it up. Your corporate masters don't care about your petty-a$$ problems. They have plenty of their own: Whining overpaid employees, incompetent management, time-wasting investigations....

You're lucky to lick their boots, ingrate....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by beautyndissonance

I think you should sue just so you will lose the lawsuit and waste a bunch of your money that you probably didn't even work that hard to earn. Quit crying and blaming a 2.1 million associate organization for something that they have absolutely zero control over. The manager obviously made a mistake, take it up with him, don't blame an entire organization for one person's mistakes.

The Walmart banking center cashing a check has nothing to do with the manager's mistake. I could understand if they put a stop on the check to halt it from being cashed. No harm no foul. The fact that it was cashed to someone other than myself is the thing I'm on about. That is a banking institution that gave MY money to someone who wasn't me.

Don't blame Walmart for what Walmart does...

Its ridiculous that a bank can cash a check, give a person over 500 dollars of someone else's money, yet not be held accountable when one of its employees fails to properly make sure the recipient is who they are supposed to be.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Suck it up. Your corporate masters don't care about your petty-a$$ problems. They have plenty of their own: Whining overpaid employees, incompetent management, time-wasting investigations....

Trust me, I'm sickened by how much Walmart takes in.

Hiring new people in almost everyday. Then when people realize 32 hours is the maximum they are going to be allowed to work for 5 cents above minimum wage keeps the revolving employment door always spinning.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I worked for Walmart as a dept mgr for over 2 years. We had the option of direct deposit, or a Debit card for our pay checks. If someone cashed your check in your store, well that is criminal, and should be investigated by the police. Clearly someone had to sign your name to the check. There are security cameras EVERYWHERE,especially where money is handled at all Walmarts. If you wait too long the video will no longer be there though. I don't think you can sue, but you can put someone in prison, and make your Walmart look foolish.
Also the banks have a copy of that check issued to you, so this should not be hard to track down at all! Have the signature looked at as well.
edit on 26-6-2013 by kurthall because: added

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
i work at walmart. they have direct deposit and is always reliable. make a complaint to corporate about whats going on. corporate doesnt like things like this cuz it brings heat down on them so they will act quickly to resolve the issue.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I guess I don't understand why they have not went over security tapes, their records, and if this was another employee, did they end up cashing two checks? Theirs and yours?
I wouldn't sue, but I would get the police involved, and have the person that cashed your check arrested.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I guess I don't understand why they have not went over security tapes, their records, and if this was another employee, did they end up cashing two checks? Theirs and yours?
I wouldn't sue, but I would get the police involved, and have the person that cashed your check arrested.

That is why I was asking if there was any legal action. I haven't heard a thing about it. Nothing. It seems like this would be a big deal, yet it has the feeling of being swept under the rug.

I mean, would you tell people to shop at a place that will cash the check of one of its own employees and give it to a complete stranger while asking that same employee if he really needs his paycheck while getting paid bi weekly?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

No I know I've woken up in a world gone mad, I understand what you're doing there

11pm, I need coffee. that will fix this.

OP. Sometimes I really have no idea how things work over there where you guys live. If that sort of thing happened here we'd have all sorts of legal means at our disposal. I'd expect that sort of thing to occur in a no-name starter company that just didn't know the rules of the game, and not something as well established as walmart.

I just can't fathom that sort of situation... it would lead me to smell of petrol and their store to be all cosy and warm on the inside.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zyrktec
i work at walmart. they have direct deposit and is always reliable. make a complaint to corporate about whats going on. corporate doesnt like things like this cuz it brings heat down on them so they will act quickly to resolve the issue.

This. Go to the Home Office ethics page (easily found with a google search) and file a completely anonymous claim, or put all your info and your managers in there. I guarantee you that you get a call within 24 hours.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

Right on the money.

I worked for Walmart as a dept mgr for over 2 years. We had the option of direct deposit, or a Debit card for our pay checks. If someone cashed your check in your store, well that is criminal, and should be investigated by the police. Clearly someone had to sign your name to the check. There are security cameras EVERYWHERE,especially where money is handled at all Walmarts. If you wait too long the video will no longer be there though. I don't think you can sue, but you can put someone in prison, and make your Walmart look foolish.
Also the banks have a copy of that check issued to you, so this should not be hard to track down at all! Have the signature looked at as well.

In the meantime, go through your human resources and see if you can get another check cut to you while this is all being handled. You may be surprised.

Suing WalMart is not the answer. The person who stole and cashed the check (likely another employee) committed the crime. WalMart may have been negligent there, but the person is the criminal. The consulting fee alone for a lawyer and the retainer, will be more than your check, no doubt.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

That is why I was asking if there was any legal action. I haven't heard a thing about it. Nothing. It seems like this would be a big deal, yet it has the feeling of being swept under the rug.

Nobody but YOU can grease the wheels here. Do NOT rely on others and hope for the best. YOU have to act. File a police report. Contact Human Resources, etc.

new topics

top topics

join