It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Florida the next Kansas? (Tornadoes)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Seems like every summer storm is generating tornadoes here. Granted, these are only EF0 or EF1 tops, but they are pretty frequent. In the past week, we've had at least 3 different days when water spouts and/or funnel clouds and tornadoes were spotted in the Tampa Bay area.

PINELLAS COUNTY, Florida -- A Tornado Warning was issued for southern Pinellas County Tuesday evening.

Chief Meteorologist Jim Van Fleet spotted multiple funnel clouds on the 10 News tower cameras, and anticipated the warning would soon follow for Pinellas County.

The National Weather Service then issued the official 30-minute Tornado Warning around 8:45 p.m. after a trained weather spotter saw rotation near Pass-a-Grille Beach moving southwest at 15 mph.

Multiple funnel clouds and waterspouts were also captured on video. According to the National Weather Service, one was just offshore of Vinoy Park in Downtown St. Pete at 8:33 p.m.

Just after 8:40 p.m., another funnel cloud was spotted in Pinellas Park near 54th Avenue North and 28th Street North, followed by another funnel cloud sighting around 8:50 p.m. near 18th Avenue Northeast in St. Pete.

At the same time, the National Weather Service also reported another waterspout just offshore of Coquina Key.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Saw this last night when they put out the warnings.. The water spouts never usually come on land and are very small.. The tornado's as you said are usually VERY small... I think were ok unless there is a hurricane.. A hurricane can spawn a bunch of tornado's of ANY size in reality, plus the damage of the hurricane.. More at risk from the hurricanes as oppose to the tornado's..

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well I certainly hope Florida isn't becoming tornado alley! The hubby is working in Florida and I'm driving down next week to visit him, my first vacation without the grandkid tagging along in a couple of years, and I certainly don't want my break interrupted by any dang tornado!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I've never heard of them being too powerful or lasting too long here though, so there is that. Worst I ever saw was an EF3, but that only touched down for about a block. It damaged a lot of cars, some businesses (and I saw it throw a dumpster through a McDonalds sign...), but no casualties.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw the video's (last night) on "Bay news 9" that the viewers sent in, the one with the water spout comes on land over the sea wall. People were right there, riding bikes and running around.

Yeah, its starting up again outside (thunder/rain).

Here is some pics www.baynews9.com...[editb y]edit on 26-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Florida has more tornadoes per area than any other state. Most of them are small F0/F1 but in the winter with a strong front we can get the occasional F3+.

Afternoon thunderstorms can trigger tornadoes almost any day in the summer and its rare to have a land falling tropical system that does not produce tornadoes.

We will never be like Kansas because we do not have the clash of the air masses that they do up there.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
We just had more last night.

I can't ever remember hearing about this many of them, so clustered before, Granted, they are all small, but some of my neighbors lost power for a bit. Last night, I actually saw one beginning to form (I saw the clouds moving in a circle). As I was approaching the bridge, I decided I didn't want to be on the bridge right then, so I turned off and went to the store instead, and then later resumed the drive home.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Good Idea! As you well know its really hard to drive around here when its pouring rain (like the white outs we get)
Yep, some crazy weather as of late.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

I can drive in even the worst downpours. Don't know why, but I really don't have a problem in them.

BUT

I don't trust others on the road in the rain. They go too fast, and follow too close, and even if they hit me, they'll probably do nothing more than scuff my bumper, while they crumple their car (I have an F350 Dual Wheel with cattle guards, etc.), I'd really rather not take the time to deal with an accident.

So, if it is coming down hard, I tend to pull over. You know the rule. If you don't like the weather in FL, just wait 15 minutes.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join