It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon debate rigged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It's actually very clever. They pulled the same trick here in Australia and well. It worked.

The debate goes: If your against a carbon tax > your against climate action.

I can already see the opinion of Americans becoming polarised on a few forums.

A carbon tax is nothing but a token attempt by those in government to appear to be taking action against pollution.

A tax does absolutely nothing except give an enormous advantage to those who can afford to pollute, while handicapping the small and medium sized businesses that will struggle to survive.

All of the costs incurred by these taxes will be passed on, and guess who ends up having to pay. You.

From where I stand America is in a rebuilding phase, and the last thing you need is this enormous handicap forcing all of your work overseas.

Ask Obama to do something in the real world toward protecting our great planet, instead of committing economic suicide for absolutely no gain.

So let's remember where we stand in the debate.

Say no to another worthless tax on the people.

Say yes to climate action.

Samuelis
(written on my phone so apologies for errors)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Dude, this news came out YEARS ago.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Thanks. We do need reminders, because we have such miserably short memories. That, and there are new people coming to the debate all the time who, in their passion to save the world, have missed the real issues....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

A carbon tax is nothing but a token attempt by those in government to appear to be taking action against pollution. A tax does absolutely nothing except give an enormous advantage to those who can afford to pollute, while handicapping the small and medium sized businesses that will struggle to survive.

Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. I havent really looked into it. Ive heard about it and read snippets but not enough to come to this conclusion. Ill do some reading but it looks like it is as you say. Only problem is many will still be for it. If smaller less wealthy companies cannot afford to release their regular amounts of carbon then carbon will still drop. Not nearly as drastic as it first appears to be, but small change is still change. Even at the cost of shifting even more power from the smaller companies to the larger.

Too bad they will use the carbon tax to feign greater action then what is being taken. Obviously WAY more needs to be done and in a way that is fair and balanced to companies of all sizes. S&F sir.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Thanks. We do need reminders, because we have such miserably short memories. That, and there are new people coming to the debate all the time who, in their passion to save the world, have missed the real issues....

Amen. My attention has not been brought to the issue as there as so many to keep track of. Hard to be skeptical of everything and give it all due diligence.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

If someone is claiming to "own" the envornment by taxing us for polluting it then I am filing a lawsuit against them for not preventing global warming!! I want my money put to good use if paying to pollute!!

Bunch of B mother effin S......

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The governments around the world are in debt from the top officials supplying their friends with money for their unneeded projects. They need to start paying for all this now, it is either this tax or that tax, no other way. They want to hide the taxes....all taxes actually are paid by the consumer or owner of tangible property.

Very little of this tax money will be used to fix anything. The pollution problem is real, the tax is a scam. We have to quit supporting the friends of the congressmen. You don't think businesses are going to donate to politicians without some motive do you?
The whole pollution thing does not have to be about boosting the economy, we need to stop buying things we don't really need and the climate will eventually return to normal. We need to quit dumping unnatural chemistry onto the earth and the fish and wildlife will rebound. We must quit doing things that evolve the microbes so that we aren't sick so much, they evolve a lot faster than us and our medicines.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Which Logical Fallacy is that, the either/or argument? We need to beef up on our logical fallacy lists and call out these when they occur. That might get the rats running, as they hate a critical thinking populous that can call out the BS as it occurs.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
Which Logical Fallacy is that, the either/or argument? We need to beef up on our logical fallacy lists and call out these when they occur. That might get the rats running, as they hate a critical thinking populous that can call out the BS as it occurs.

Good luck. I've been calling them out for almost a decade and the folks who never read a book on logic or took debate don't give a rats ass.
edit on 26-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

top topics

join