It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The death of Hollywood?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I read this Article earlier on, of all places, Cracked.com "4 ways Hollywood is Imploding" and it got me thinking; what will happen to the movie industry in the future?

The way things are going with the free streaming websites, torrents, etc.. I feel the movie industry is in trouble.
According to George Lucas:

"Going to the movies is going to cost you $50, maybe $100, maybe $150," says George Lucas, the creator of " Star Wars" and founder of Lucasfilm, which is now owned by the Walt Disney Co., ABC's parent company.

abcnews.go.com...

His prediction rang true with the announcement of the World War Z "mega movie ticket" for $50

The package includes an early screening at one of five participating theaters in L.A., Houston, San Diego, Atlanta, and Philadelphia, plus a small popcorn, a pair of World War Z collectible 3D glasses, a movie poster, and a digital download when the film becomes available on home video.

mobile.businessweek.com...

Granted it is early viewing and some extra goodies (small popcorn FTW!!) I feel it's an experiment to test the waters for the high price ticket. That is also mentioned further on in the previous article.

What will happen if things progress the way they are? Will hollywood die many years down the road? Is it too big to fail as has been the theme for the past few years?
It's a very thought provoking subject

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

What's Weird Assassin's Creed mentioned that the movie industry will be replaced by the video game industry

Nation Mourns the Loss of Final Film Studio: History was made today with the closing of the country's last movie studio. The rising prominence of video games coupled with rampant piracy are considered to be the leading causes of its demise.

assassinscreed.wikia.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
i pray i will see this in my lifetime, imagine that....end of hollywood. no more blind worship of actors, no more propoganda, no more of these vicious jewish copyright lawyers, no more hollywood influence in the government..

peace on earth

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
With so much hollywood money being spent on special effects, promotion and market research, huge salaries and all that goes with it, I wouldn't be surprised if it did implode.

The one thing they don't seem to invest in is the actual concepts for the movies. Remakes, sequels and ho-hum plots seem to rule over there. Maybe the fear of releasing something with an unknown factor is what does it, but hollywood lost it's sense of creativity regarding the storylines ages ago.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Movie theaters are certainly posed for a demise. People are tired of spending $12 a ticket, then another $12 for a snack and drink. (especially if 4 people go, as now you're at nearly $100 for two hours of entertainment). Compare that to a $1 Redbox rental that all 4 can watch, and it isn't hard to see the trend....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well all I can say is-- the exorbitant amount of money these people are paid for 'playing make-believe' is way out of the ball park. (Speaking of ball park, I feel the same way about professional athletes.) Actors should be paid enough to live comfortable lives (everyone should!) but not live like royalty.

So if Hollywood is imploding, perhaps greed is partly to blame.
edit on 6/26/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We can only hope.

But what will all those 'talented' people have to do for work? Oh yeah, real work.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Banquo

Seeing movies these days are heavily edited with CGI im wondering how long it will be before people have access to soft ware packages that allow then to make their own movies. Just drop in actor, like the CGIed version of Arnie in terminator 5. Hey wouldn't you like to drop yourself into the lead character role taking on the terminators. How many years away can this technology be?

top topics

join