It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Lawmaker attempts to block stringent abortion restrictions with 13 hour filibuster

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Of course it is. That's what it's always been about. They don't give a damn about the kids, if they did then they'd do something about them after they're born as well as trying to prevent abortion. They just want to make sure they stay in power, and keep control.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

OMG! Only 8 votes decided the fate of so many!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Only 5 votes decided the fate of 55,000,000 and counting . . .

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Women will die because of this bill. All but 5 clinics in the entire state to close, driving women to unsafe "do it yourself" remedies, shady characters that will prey on desperate women or across the boarder to even shadier conditions.

Of course this action will only effect poor women. Women of means have always been able to get a discrete and "quick fix".

Shame on Texas!

Wow!

Here you are talking about murdering babies in a post midterm pregnancy saying that women will die!

You have got to be kidding me.

Shame on you!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Well windword, if you really believe in saving the kids, then you save them. You dont make a huge political line out of it.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Nephalim because: edited so noone gets asshurt.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I was under the impression that abortions were illegal after the first trimester? Anyway, at 5 months, the woman is closer to term than not...who would chose to terminate a pregnancy at that point? If the health of the mother is at risk, then that's different. But an elective abortion at 5 months should not be legal imo. I agree with the poster above who said that they have should have had plenty of time to decide the fate of their baby by then.

Since I'm not familiar with the legislation, then I can't speak to all of what it covers, so maybe there are other points that these protesters don't like?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The lieutenant Governor just announced and agreed that SB5 is dead.

I guess altering records with that many people still in the building was not enough.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Republicans and Libertarians want less government interference in personal lives -- yet they'll vote on legislation to tell what a person can/can't do with their own bodies.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Republicans and Libertarians want less government interference in personal lives -- yet they'll vote on legislation to tell what a person can/can't do with their own bodies.

Actually they voted to ensure someone actually had a chance to decide what to do with their own bodies. Dont point fingers.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I like the filibuster action, and applaud it. I think she's absolutely wrong in her beliefs, but I admire her stand.

As far as the Midnight deadline goes, it is not uncommon in state legislatures, or even the US Congress, to "Cover the Clock," so to speak, just for situations like this. It seems the uproar is because some people don't like the way it came out this time. Oh, well.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
For the record a fetus grows up to be a kid given the chance it is a seriously messed up world when a tree has more value than a human life.
edit on 26-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Zaphod58

Women will die because of this bill. All but 5 clinics in the entire state to close, driving women to unsafe "do it yourself" remedies, shady characters that will prey on desperate women or across the boarder to even shadier conditions.

Of course this action will only effect poor women. Women of means have always been able to get a discrete and "quick fix".

Shame on Texas!

So how many of those fetus's that are aborted have been women?

OF the 50 million PEOPLE who were conceived, but will never see the light of day that could have grown up to be women?

Yeah shame indeed, but not on Texas has life become so worthless?
edit on 26-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That may be, and in some cases I would be too, but there are so many other more important things than this right now that should be taken care of. And what happened to the whole "by the people, FOR the people" bit. If the voters don't want it, then it shouldn't be passed.

There are other constituents than the pro-choice crowd is there not?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

reply to post by Metallicus

It's not just the 20 weeks part though. I could live with it if it was just that. All procedures will have to take place in a surgical center, and the doctor performing the abortion must have rights at a hospital within 30 miles. That means that of the 42 abortion clinics in Texas, 37 will have to close.

Oh no! It's just like the plagues of Revelation.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I like the filibuster action, and applaud it. I think she's absolutely wrong in her beliefs, but I admire her stand.

As far as the Midnight deadline goes, it is not uncommon in state legislatures, or even the US Congress, to "Cover the Clock," so to speak, just for situations like this. It seems the uproar is because some people don't like the way it came out this time. Oh, well.

I posted this elsewhere, but on the same topic

The only thing that irks me about this is that it was postponed not by the filibuster, but by the riotous crowds in the peanut gallery.

IMO, time should have been granted equal to the time that it took to get the peanut gallery to shut the hell up.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Stringent restrictions? Really? Do you even know what's going on with this bill?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

That may be, and in some cases I would be too, but there are so many other more important things than this right now that should be taken care of. And what happened to the whole "by the people, FOR the people" bit. If the voters don't want it, then it shouldn't be passed.

Sort of like Obamacare?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I'll say the same thing here that I said on the other thread

If someone is going to have an abortion, WHY wait until 20 weeks? I understand that sometimes things happen later in the pregnancy that make an abortion at that point required, but to wait until the child is 5 months in the womb ... when the child can feel pain .. when the child is opening and closing her eyes and sucking her thumb and playing with the cord and her toes .... well ... I'll say it ... that's just selfish and evil.

Yes, I used the 'evil' word. that's my opinion. that's based on the fact that science tells us that unborn children at that point can feel pain in the womb. Children in the womb at that point can have surgeries and the doctors will give them pain killers during the surgeries. To painfully shred these children or burn them alive with chemicals knowing that they feel the pain ... that's just evil.

I just think that waiting until 20 weeks to have an abortion is an incredibly stupid thing to do.
As I said, sometimes things come up that make it necessary ... I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about being lazy or whatever and not having one until you are five months along.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shimri

Originally posted by charles1952

I posted this elsewhere, but on the same topic

The only thing that irks me about this is that it was postponed not by the filibuster, but by the riotous crowds in the peanut gallery.

IMO, time should have been granted equal to the time that it took to get the peanut gallery to shut the hell up.

No kidding. Let's have a mob shout down the democratic process if they don't get their way.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I saw footage of what the left wing mob did in the court room. Screaming and carrying on so that the vote couldn't happen. Shades of Minnesota. :shk: The far left luvs that mob rule when it's in their favor ... but then whine that the right is trying to take away their rights when the right uses the court system appropriately. What a crock ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join