It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Lawmaker attempts to block stringent abortion restrictions with 13 hour filibuster

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
At 11am this morning, Texas Senator Wendy Davis stood up and began speaking against Texas Senate Bill 5, which would place stringent controls on abortion in the state of Texas. Governor Perry had called the special session to allow Texas Republicans to push abortion controls through, after they failed in previous attempts.

SB.5 would put all the measures that had failed in previous votes into one bill, that most voters didn't want in the first place. It would make abortion illegal after 20 weeks, and place such harsh restrictions on clinics that almost 90% would probably end up having to close their doors, tantamount to banning abortion in Texas.

“I’m rising on the floor today to humbly give voice to thousands of Texans who have been ignored,” Davis said when she first begun her filibuster. “These voices have been silenced by a governor who made blind partisanship and personal political ambition the official business of our great state.”

If Ms. Davis was able to talk, without a bathroom break, drinking water, leaning against a desk, or several other ways to end the filibuster, the bill would be essentially dead as the special session would end at midnight.

Thousands of protesters were in attendance, and people from nearby states sent food and drinks to support the protests against the bill.

At 10:05pm the Republicans found Ms. Davis out of order for the third time and tried to shut her down, to chants of "Let her speak" from protesters.

When the clock struck midnight with Ms. Davis still talking, the crowd erupted and drowned out the roll call vote that was being attempted by Republicans. It took quite awhile for things to settle down, and the Senate had to gather into a small group to attempt to take the vote to be heard over the crowd.

For the first time in a long time I'm actually proud of a politician, and I don't even live in the same state as her. She stood up for what voters wanted, and what she believed in, and talked for 13 hours to try to stop a bill that would be bad for people.

Texas’ special session ends at midnight on Tuesday. And if state Sen. Wendy Davis (D) can continue speaking until that point about the dangerous effects of SB 5, an omnibus abortion bill that Texas Republicans are currently attempting to push through the extra lawmaking session, she’ll effectively block it from being able to pass.
Since Republicans have strong majorities in the Texas legislature, SB 5 will certainly win final approval if it’s allowed to come to a vote on Tuesday. And Gov. Rick Perry (R) — who called the current special session largely to give lawmakers another chance to rush through abortion restrictions — has already promised to sign it. But, with the help of hundreds of activists who have flooded the state capitol to protest the proposed anti-abortion legislation, Democrats have successfully stalled SB 5. Now, Davis is their last chance to kill the bill.

thinkprogress.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm all for abortion being illegal after 20 weeks.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The bill may have just passed, regardless of it being passed the midnight deadline.

Some are claiming since the disruption from the gallery crowd, the "time" was suspended, allowing the vote to get in.

We shall see.

-EDIT- Reports of riot police outside of building.
edit on 26-6-2013 by TwiTcHomatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

It wouldn't surprise me. They'll do anything to push it through.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That may be, and in some cases I would be too, but there are so many other more important things than this right now that should be taken care of. And what happened to the whole "by the people, FOR the people" bit. If the voters don't want it, then it shouldn't be passed.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
www.startribune.com...

Early news is even after the deadline, it has passed.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

and the news is... maybe... usnews.nbcnews.com... long story short , from the link

As midnight neared, raucous cheering erupted from the gallery during a roll call vote. The cheering, witnessed on a live video stream of the session, halted Senate action for several minutes. And it remained unclear whether a vote on the bill was taken.
we will see tomorrow

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Women will die because of this bill. All but 5 clinics in the entire state to close, driving women to unsafe "do it yourself" remedies, shady characters that will prey on desperate women or across the boarder to even shadier conditions.

Of course this action will only effect poor women. Women of means have always been able to get a discrete and "quick fix".

Shame on Texas!

edit on 26-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Nah no shame really. Its a pro life position. I can understand why some would take it. Hold a newborn, its the best feeling in the world. watch them grow, learn and do good things. Good stuff.
I can also see the position your talking about.

I think both are right. We always try to look out for the kids honestly. However, we also need to look out for the mothers and encourage more responsibility on the part of our public as a whole when it comes to abortion and why they are happening in the first place.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It reminds me of Obamacare. It was pushed through despite what the people wanted.

Honestly, abortion should be illegal after 20 weeks. 5 months is long enough to make a decision.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I am really concerned about what I've witnessed by watching this stream over the past few hours.

Did they even go to the body with the decision to suspend the filibuster? I didn't see that happen. What makes it even more of a question is the fact that Sen. Davis still had not sit down almost an hour after the 3rd "strike" she had received, by that point Sen. Watson had already opened a debate and then a whole circus of inquiries and such took place, then the vote to table, which opened another can of worms. Very close to midnight they finally started doing roll call, but I did not see a vote take place. They are apparently claiming a vote took place just before midnight and that this bill passed -- when the hell did that happen? Another side to the story claims the vote took place after midnight. And just the fact that they are using the people cheering as an excuse to vote past midnight anyway is alarming. It didn't happen before midnight, that should be end of story! There has been so much slimy behavior going on through this, nevermind the fact that the "strikes" Sen. Davis received were completely ludicrous and they were literally looking for any excuse to shut her up. Sen. Watson's argument was not only valid, but legendary IMO. And that room was literally on fire for a bit there, I can honestly say that was one of the best filibusters I've ever watched -- but also so full of crap that it honestly doesn't surprise me that there's supposedly rioting and ruckus going on out there.

As for my standpoint on the matter at hand, abortion should be the choice of the woman in question and not the choice of others -- there's so many different aspects of pregnancy and birth that should not be ignored when weighing the facts and considering the question of whether women should be able to make that choice or not, and it feels as if a lot of anti-abortionists overlook the various reasons as to why a woman would want or even need to abort a pregnancy. I also beg the question -- if people are so pro-life and anti-abortion, and so concerned with the well being of children even before they're fully formed, why do these same people not go and adopt a bunch of orphans/foster children?

Perhaps for the same reasons a woman who was not expecting a child would feel the need to abort the pregnancy.

A snapshot below from earlier tonight of the amount of people viewing, it actually rose to over 183,000 people watching that stream not long after. These guys snaked their way to passing a bill on live broadcast, and judging by the comments on that stream and the fact that there's a lot of commotion from the gallery and outside, tonight will not be the end of this.

EDIT: A link to a live stream directly from the gallery: www.ustream.tv...

edit on 26-6-2013 by APhoenixInside because: Adding link

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

It's not just the 20 weeks part though. I could live with it if it was just that. All procedures will have to take place in a surgical center, and the doctor performing the abortion must have rights at a hospital within 30 miles. That means that of the 42 abortion clinics in Texas, 37 will have to close.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
There are reports of arrests being made of the protesters, and people starting to riot. Don't know how accurate they are though.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
AP and other sources are saying it passed, and the LiveStream is showing they're trying to alter the time of the vote.

Here's a good LINK to updated info, as well as some kind of live youtube feed.

None of the MSM networks are reporting this ATM.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Texas Republicans pass abortion law after marathon filibuster Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Texas Republicans passed a sweeping bill that would effectively shut down most abortion clinics in the state after the state's lieutenant governor suspended a one-woman filibuster against the hotly contested measure.

The Republican-controlled House voted for the bill while hundreds of protesters screamed from the gallery. Reporters and Democrats saw the voting begin after midnight, but Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said it began just before. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You know what the sad thing is and I can say this because I'm neither Republican nor Democrat.
This is all about turning Texas into a blue state.

You're all pretty silly if you really think its about the kids when its about votes and control over the populace.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
And it all gets better.....

twitter.com... (sorry for the twitter, looking for better image)

As you can see at 12:53 am the "official" Texas state senate website had the times of the vote which clearly showed it happening after midnight on the 26th.

At 1:03 am the website had been altered to show that the vote happened before midnight still on the 25th.

Surely they would not really alter official times to pass something through would they? Sarcasm heavily implied.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

No, they would NEVER do that. All politicians are honest and decent human beings who would never break the law in any way. [/sarcasm]

link   

edit on 6/26/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

link   
The rigging in all of this is so blatantly obvious here.
Senator Watson's speech on ChristopherDido's USTREAM about 40 minutes or so ago was really cool, though. I actually got it on recording.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join