It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Axis shift

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
So in addition to magnetic poles shifting (reversing?) and global warming, there's geographical axis shift. Are all these reasons, perhaps in small degree year after year, causing the weird weather patterns over the globe?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
40 degree??? WTF? serious?..why i don't feel there was a difference in the environment around me sir??

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm waiting. I'll be right on the equator if that happens. I suppose it will still be snowing here during the winter, just because we live in the UP.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FormerSkeptic

I'm afraid there is no geological or crustal shift of our axis to any great degree.

We do have True Polar Wander, but that's limited to about 1 degree per million years. You can thank our moon for that as it acts like a anchor to hold us pretty much in place.

We also have Precession, but that does not change the actual tilt of the Earth's axis, just where it happens to be pointed at and takes about 26,000 years to complete a cycle.

Our axis has been moved by very small amounts by very large earthquakes, but the amounts are normally measured in centimeters and not enough to have an overall effect on the Earth's climate.

If there had been any large shift in the Earth's axis, it would be known very quickly as even the most new back yard astronomers would find all the stars out of place......and they're not. They still line up just fine for me with my telescope when I do a manual polar alignment.

About the only way you'll get the Earth to shift on it's axis (more or less tilt) is to either smack it very hard with a very large object (and then the energy from that impact would turn the Earth's crust into liquid rock....and we'd all be dead anyways), or you need to make the moon disappear so that it no longer acts as a anchor.

And even if you made the moon go away, it would take quite a long time for the Earth's axis to star wandering more than it does (more than 1 degree per million years).

edit on 25-6-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm tying myself to my bed tonight so that I don't fall out.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Disinformation agents suckssssssss

S n F to OP

edit on 28-6-2013 by SophiaEveLee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Perhaps only the real people can distinguish the changes, the rest just go with the flow and accept it as if it has always been so.

When the first Apes began to wash their sweet potatoes not all did at the same time but eventually it was as if it had always been this way equally.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If the Earth's axis has shifted significantly or is shifting, there are many ways that any normal person can spot this without needing anything very special to do so.

1) The sun will rise and set at a specific place on the horizon at specific times, depending on the latitude and longitude of your location. The information for this is widely available to anyone who cares to look it up either online or in book such as an almanac. Any changes in the Earth's axis and the sun will not rise nor set where it's suppose to when it's suppose to. It will do it in different locations and different times.

2) Stars locations in the skies are done so with a coordinate system using Right Ascension and Declination. These coordinates do not change (with some slight exceptions like Benard's Star which is moving quite fast) except over very, very long periods of time. You can get these coordinates for anyone of these stars either on the internet, or books that have been published even decades ago. Using these coordinates and a telescope that uses an equatorial mount, once it has been polar aligned correctly, and the star will appear dead center in the eye piece. IF the Earth's axis changes.......none of the stars will line up with the telescope.

3) Using any old map, look up your Latitude and Longitude coordinates of where you live. Now use any GPS device and see what it says your Lat and Long are. If the Earth's axis moves, the satellites will not move with it as they are in orbit. But they will show that you Lat and Long no longer matches what some old map says you are suppose to be at.

Using any of the three things I listed above: can just one of you show me this proof? Last I checked the sun was setting and rising where it's suppose to, when it's suppose to, I use my telescope all the time and RA / Dec coordinates work just fine, and last I looked, my GPS is working just fine.

Or would you all rather trust in some YouTube video?

top topics

join