It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

right-wing supreme court cancelled the 50 yr old voter rights act today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

People that act and talk like you. People stuck in the past and not ready to move forward. People that still think the white man is keeping the black man down. Is why racism is still alive. That excuse is used and tired. I don't know if your black, white, native American, or ..polish. It doesn't matter. You are the prime example of why racism is alive. I grew up in New Orleans. Whites are way outnumbered by blacks there. You think that matterd? No. We were 50/50 in our groups. Races mix now its your backwards thinking and ignorance that is holding us back. How old are you? Its time to grow up and get with the times. Guess what me and my black friend drove to the same damn polling place in New Orleans together. We walked in friends. He voted for Obama and I didn't. Guess what..we walked out friends. This race card is getting old. Its losing its value. It isn't an ace anymore. Its that joker you always throw out the pack.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
YOU LOST THE CIVIL WAR!!!!
Who are you speaking to?

....GET OVER IT......IT WAS 150 YEARS AGO......BLACKS AND LATINOS AND ASIANS HAVE THE SAME RIGHT TO VOTE AS YOU WHITE RACISTS DO!!!!!

I expect you to have some knowledge of what was ruled on today; but it is clear you have none in this regards. Do tell me though, in their ruling, what "voting rights" have been disparaged and what "right" do "white racists" retain?

....but.....no longer....all the minority populated districts in right-wing controlled states will now have 2 voting machines for every 50,000 voters, while white people voting districts will have 10 voting machines per 500 voters.

Where did you pull these fantastically nonsensical numbers from? The problem with Section 4 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act was it was not applied equally among the States; i.e. it was unconstitutionally applied and did not follow several provisions of the Constitution; mainly the Fourteenth Amendment and its Equal Protection clause.

Consider this, from Lassiter v. Northampton County Bd. of Elections in which the Courts make the following remark in regards to the political process. "The States have long been held to have broad powers to determine the conditions under which the right of suffrage may be exercised. . . , absent of course the discrimination which the Constitution condemns."

Or consider Justice Douglas' words when he wrote, "Undoubtedly, the right of suffrage is a fundamental matter in a free and democratic society. Especially since the right to exercise the franchise in a free and unimpaired manner is preservative of other basic civil and political rights, any alleged infringement of the rights of citizens to vote must be carefully and meticulously scrutinized."

Now with these items in mind, how is it this Nation could be considered a "free and democratic society" and in an "unimpaired manner" when some States, because of their now distant past transgressions, have to seek Federal permission to administer their Republics?

...all black and latino people in southern voting districts will need 3 forms of ID, while in white voting districts all you need is a wave and a handshake........and if discrimination is discovered....oh no!!!.....the minorities can file a lawsuit....of course....it going to be after the right-winger is already elected, and it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in (too-late) court actions way after the election, when nobody gives a damn......the right-wingers on the supreme court are nothing but dog crap on the bottom of my shoe.

You have stepped off the deep-end. You are pulling all the stops, invoking as much hyperbole and emotional knee-jerk reactions as you possibly can and you still haven't said anything that is remotely true or founded. Why only black and Latino? No Asian or other races will be lumped into your insane view of how it is?

I understand this is quite rhetorical in response though, but maybe others are willing to have a discussion and not some third-grade pissing match with someone who cannot critically think their way out of box.
edit on 26-6-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

You have stepped off the deep-end. You are pulling all the stops, invoking as much hyperbole and emotional knee-jerk reactions as you possibly can and you still haven't said anything that is remotely true or founded. Why only black and Latino? No Asian or other races will be lumped into your insane view of how it is?

I understand this is quite rhetorical in response though, but maybe others are willing to have a discussion and not some third-grade pissing match with someone who cannot critically think their way out of box.

You said Everything I was thinking.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It is sad really because it is a historical ruling (on both ends; pro and con) and would serve the educated public to understand the ruling and discuss it. But we don't do that. We kick and scream like children because we think "whitey" is out to get us. Or our illustrious "representatives" utter comments like "Uncle Thomas", then claim they didn't know "Uncle Tom" was a slight against black people "doing the white man's business".

Up is down, down is up. We have moved from one of the most enlightened periods of human evolution; where both science and faith were leaping forward at an amazing pace. Where man no longer sought a ruler but instead saw in themselves that they are the ruler and that they can make their lives for themselves.

We have devolved and we cannot even have a simple discussion on the implications of a simple court ruling anymore. I weep for mankind. We are truly a stupid species.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I know.

Honestly we need a reset.

It sounds harsh, but Humanity as a whole has devolved the last 30 years. Just my honest opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

edit on 26-6-2013 by sonnny1 because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
In case it wasn't posted yet:

Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder et. al.

I suggest reading it. It gives a detailed background on why the Voting Rights Act of 1965 was originally held Constitutional, why it required Congressional action after just 5 years, why it was "extraordinary" (even in the eyes of the Court) and why it is now unnecessary.

Learn something new today and expand that grey-matter between your ears.

Post-Script:
Bush up on Bond v. United States (this case was referenced in the above and pertains to 9th/10th Amendment) Just FYI and I knew that case was paramount when it was ruled on.

ETA: Fixed link to the slip opinion....
edit on 26-6-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Can anyone really argue that race relations have been set back 60 years exactly because of this kind of crap.

I would weep, but I don't people are willfully, and wantingly let themselves be manipulated.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Reading through the opinion gives great insight. First, Section 4 of the Act was the formula in which the Federal Government applied section 5. Second, section 5 is the meat and potatoes so to speak of the Act and was untouched (except for Justice Thomas' concurrence.)

In that concurrence, Justice Thomas questions why the Court was willing to invalidate Section 4, but pass on Section 5.

The Opinion of the Court was to put it back into the hands of Congress to define the formula but States are still subjected to Federal "approval" of their political process via Section 5 of the Act. The OP is engaging in sophistry with the claims made.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

That is more than likely cuz of all the voter fraud by the dems in the last election.

Not to mention the whole acorn scandal in 08.

The supreme court is as corrupt as the government that directs it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The same "right wing" court that said YES to Obama Care?? Whatever. it's 2013... we have a black President... I don't see any chance of and minority being turned away from the voting booth because of their skin.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I searched through 5 pages of "recent posts" to see where the posts were for this, and I was astonished that ...there weren't any?!?!.......YOU LOST THE CIVIL WAR!!!!....GET OVER IT......IT WAS 150 YEARS AGO......BLACKS AND LATINOS AND ASIANS HAVE THE SAME RIGHT TO VOTE AS YOU WHITE RACISTS DO!!!!! ....but.....no longer....all the minority populated districts in right-wing controlled states will now have 2 voting machines for every 50,000 voters, while white people voting districts will have 10 voting machines per 500 voters. all black and latino people in southern voting districts will need 3 forms of ID, while in white voting districts all you need is a wave and a handshake........and if discrimination is discovered....oh no!!!.....the minorities can file a lawsuit....of course....it going to be after the right-winger is already elected, and it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in (too-late) court actions way after the election, when nobody gives a damn......the right-wingers on the supreme court are nothing but dog crap on the bottom of my shoe.
edit on 25-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

And Jim Crow was 60 years ago, it is gone, get over it and it is time to have the laws apply to everyone equally.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150

And voter intimidation in Philadelphia in 2008 where they posted members at polling places with ballbats and carried out blatant voter intimidation... when the lawsuits were filed against the new Black Panthers, Mr. Holder dismissed the claims outright...

Read the news. Look it up. It's all documented.

edit on 25-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Cosmic indifference

here is your black panther movement
www.slate.com...
amazing how this starts here and ends here..... but to you this is nation wide, instead at this one polling place that is a rest home?
edit on Tue Jun 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

So are you saying that intimidating people with truncheons is oaky if it is just one places and/or at a rest home?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This is why I get so upset with progressives.

So the controls have been turned back to the individual states.

Okay.

The OP is crying racism. Crying abuses.

This is where I get pissed off. Imagine that there are some abuses, speaking as a minority, I don't need the f###ing government to 'hep' me out!

I am an educated adult. As are most people. WE can't handle the issue without getting the feds involved?

Bite me!

If there are issues that speak of racism, we, at the local level can solve the damned problem. I don't need federal government fighting my fights, fighting my battles.

This is racist because the progressives think we minorities are too damned stupid to fight or to solve our own damned problems!

This pisses me off.

(sorry about the swears, but I'm steamed and rather insulted!)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I searched through 5 pages of "recent posts" to see where the posts were for this, and I was astonished that ...there weren't any?!?!.......YOU LOST THE CIVIL WAR!!!!....GET OVER IT......IT WAS 150 YEARS AGO......BLACKS AND LATINOS AND ASIANS HAVE THE SAME RIGHT TO VOTE AS YOU WHITE RACISTS DO!!!!! ....but.....no longer....all the minority populated districts in right-wing controlled states will now have 2 voting machines for every 50,000 voters, while white people voting districts will have 10 voting machines per 500 voters. all black and latino people in southern voting districts will need 3 forms of ID, while in white voting districts all you need is a wave and a handshake........and if discrimination is discovered....oh no!!!.....the minorities can file a lawsuit....of course....it going to be after the right-winger is already elected, and it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in (too-late) court actions way after the election, when nobody gives a damn......the right-wingers on the supreme court are nothing but dog crap on the bottom of my shoe.
edit on 25-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

I think America has more serious problems that some blabbering about "racism" or who lost the civil war 150 years ago. Get real dude.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Looks like the right wants to repeal the 20th century, I wonder what's next.....nineteenth amendment? Bring back 3/5th's compromise?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
This is why I get so upset with progressives.

So the controls have been turned back to the individual states.

Okay.

The OP is crying racism. Crying abuses.

This is where I get pissed off. Imagine that there are some abuses, speaking as a minority, I don't need the f###ing government to 'hep' me out!

I am an educated adult. As are most people. WE can't handle the issue without getting the feds involved?

Bite me!

If there are issues that speak of racism, we, at the local level can solve the damned problem. I don't need federal government fighting my fights, fighting my battles.

This is racist because the progressives think we minorities are too damned stupid to fight or to solve our own damned problems!

This pisses me off.

(sorry about the swears, but I'm steamed and rather insulted!)

I don't care what color your skin is, but without the help of the federal government there would still be widespread discrimination in the southern states. You can deny it all you want but it's the truth. Black people were being lynched left and right and without Government intervention I honestly believe that would still be going on right now.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

In Georgia we already have voter ID for years and it works for everyone, one person = one vote! and those are real live voters too!

Take the fear tactics and go home,

This is such an old argument, one has no problem presenting ID to buy beer, cigs or a plethora of other things official and unofficial but has a cow doing the same at the polls - get real! - that is called a dead horse where I'm at.

Maybe you could get on the bandwagon of lost military votes - that was actual disenfranchisement or shall I say suppression of the vote.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I happened across an article this morning that brings up a valid question: Which part of the constitution did Section 4 of the VRA violate? The question was posed due to the fact that the SCOTUS majority decision did not explain which part of the constitution was violated; something you will find in just about every other decision handed down.

So on what grounds, exactly, did the court find Sec. 4 of the VRA unconstitutional? I have no idea.

Assuming I'd missed something important, I asked the Constitutional Accountability Center's David Gans to help me out. He told me:

"Your question highlights a fundamental flaw in Chief Justice Roberts' majority opinion in Shelby County v. Holder. The Court strikes down a core provision of the Voting Rights Act as unconstitutional without ever explaining what provision of the Constitution commands this result. Chief Justice Roberts' opinion for the conservative majority argued that the Voting Rights Act provision was inconsistent with the 'letter and spirit of the Constitution,' but he never really explained why.

"His majority opinion emphasized that the Voting Rights Act diminished the sovereignty of states, ignoring that Fifteenth Amendment expressly gives to Congress broad power to prevent all forms of racial discrimination in voting by the states. As Justice Ginsburg's powerful dissent demonstrates, the Court's opinion cannot be squared with the text, history, and meaning of the Fifteenth Amendment."

maddowblog.msnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

IS there lynching now?
IS there open discrimination being practices now?
ARE there state laws currently on the books about discrimination?
WHY does the federal government think I am so effing stupid that I even NEED their help?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
In light of the SCOTUS overturning DOMA today, the OP's accusation of "right wing" supreme court is even more funny.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join