Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

right-wing supreme court cancelled the 50 yr old voter rights act today

page: 1
8
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I searched through 5 pages of "recent posts" to see where the posts were for this, and I was astonished that ...there weren't any?!?!.......YOU LOST THE CIVIL WAR!!!!....GET OVER IT......IT WAS 150 YEARS AGO......BLACKS AND LATINOS AND ASIANS HAVE THE SAME RIGHT TO VOTE AS YOU WHITE RACISTS DO!!!!! ....but.....no longer....all the minority populated districts in right-wing controlled states will now have 2 voting machines for every 50,000 voters, while white people voting districts will have 10 voting machines per 500 voters. all black and latino people in southern voting districts will need 3 forms of ID, while in white voting districts all you need is a wave and a handshake........and if discrimination is discovered....oh no!!!.....the minorities can file a lawsuit....of course....it going to be after the right-winger is already elected, and it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in (too-late) court actions way after the election, when nobody gives a damn......the right-wingers on the supreme court are nothing but dog crap on the bottom of my shoe.
edit on 25-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)



+21 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well that was a load of crap so how about some facts?


The 5-4 ruling rewrites a key tool of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which for five decades has given the federal government unprecedented say in everything from how some states draw their congressional maps to where they place polling locations.



But the justices said after five decades, the law has had a dramatic effect in ending discrimination in voting, and said Congress must now come up with new ways of deciding who still needs federal oversight.




Beneath the legal ruling is a broader social statement, with the justices saying that a state cannot be perpetually held responsible for past discrimination if there’s no evidence that it still exists.


Read the rest:
Source

There was nothing 'racist' about that decision.


The ruling leaves in place many of the protections of the 1965 law, such as banning literacy tests. But it said the federal government can no longer treat some jurisdictions differently because of discrimination that may have ended decades ago.


Pay Attention:


“If Congress had started from scratch in 2006, it plainly could not have enacted the present cover- age formula. It would have been irrational for Congress to distinguish between states in such a fundamental way based on 40-year-old data, when today’s statistics tell an entirely different story,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote.


That gets translated in to the op some people sure do love to play the racist card.






edit on 25-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 
Do you have a link for where this information came from? I would like to read it and I'm sure others would as well, so if you don't mind adding one it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Nevermind, I see neo added a link to the story.

edit on 6/25/13 by littled16 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 


well

what on earth are you jibbering about?

no links no stories, no articles.




posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 


Do you have any actual evidence to support your rant or are you just playing Chicken Little?

The act was outdated and used outdated data.
edit on 2013/6/25 by Metallicus because: ETA



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Well that was a load of crap so how about some facts?


The 5-4 ruling rewrites a key tool of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which for five decades has given the federal government unprecedented say in everything from how some states draw their congressional maps to where they place polling locations.



But the justices said after five decades, the law has had a dramatic effect in ending discrimination in voting, and said Congress must now come up with new ways of deciding who still needs federal oversight.




Beneath the legal ruling is a broader social statement, with the justices saying that a state cannot be perpetually held responsible for past discrimination if there’s no evidence that it still exists.


Read the rest:
Source

There was nothing 'racist' about that decision.







there have already been five states that said they will enact strict voter ID requirements to vote, that ARE NOT subject to preview by the US government to verify that they are not discriminatory, before they are enacted...in other words... Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, south Carolina, all are waiting in the wings to pass laws before the next election THAT CANNOT BE CHALLANGED due to the time it takes to go through the courts, before the elections are over....that's is exactly why the law has been in place for the last 50 years......12,000 pages of voter discrimination was presented to congress when the ACT was up for review in 2006...
www.nationaljournal.com...
this is so racist I can smell it through my screen. there will be so many lawsuits filed for the election of 2014 due to racism in the voting, that it's going to be like being back in the jim crow days days the 1950's...this is absolutely racist, there is no question about it....but, of course, someone would have to actually read about what tactics the southern states used to deny black people the vote during that era, to be knowledgeable about it.
edit on 25-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)


+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 


And your point is I have to show id every time I buy smokes or a gun or alcohol.

But that's not 'racist'!!
edit on 25-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It is about damned time that antiquated laws like this get dumped. And why is it, that anytime a bill is passed that attempts to verify that an individual is a legal voter, the liberals throw a fit? I guess if laws like that are passed, the illegals can't vote and the dems lose out...



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 
When I go to the voting booth in Texas I have to produce either my voter's registration card or my state issued ID either of which is verified by scanner to prove that I am a registered voter. At the pooling place there are always people of all races, but no matter what if you cannot prove you are a registered voter you are not allowed to cast your ballot. As registering to vote is FREE any legal citizen over the age of 18 may do so without cost. There are shuttle services available to those who do not have transportation. What exactly is racist about that?



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
reply to post by jimmyx
 


Do you have any actual evidence to support your rant or are you just playing Chicken Little?

The act was outdated and used outdated data.
edit on 2013/6/25 by Metallicus because: ETA


look for yourself in the 2006 voting rights extension
www.nationaljournal.com...
www.nytimes.com...
mediamatters.org...
abclocal.go.com.../national_world&id=4385493
www.washingtonpost.com...
georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov...



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
It is about damned time that antiquated laws like this get dumped. And why is it, that anytime a bill is passed that attempts to verify that an individual is a legal voter, the liberals throw a fit? I guess if laws like that are passed, the illegals can't vote and the dems lose out...


Guess they havent read the immigration bill with its background checks!!

Which is a national ID LAW. but that's not racist!
edit on 25-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Strict voter ID laws sound like a winner to me.

The cries of racism loose their strength more and more, soon maybe those that keep racism alive for political gain will die out and we can move forward as one.



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by jimmyx
 
When I go to the voting booth in Texas I have to produce either my voter's registration card or my state issued ID either of which is verified by scanner to prove that I am a registered voter. At the pooling place there are always people of all races, but no matter what if you cannot prove you are a registered voter you are not allowed to cast your ballot. As registering to vote is FREE any legal citizen over the age of 18 may do so without cost. There are shuttle services available to those who do not have transportation. What exactly is racist about that?



did you have to wait 8 hours in line because of too few voting machines?....guess what...in predominately minority polling districts...they did....I know...I think in 2014 in every heavily republican white voting district, they only allow 3 voting machines for every 100,000 voters....maybe you should get a TASTE of PATRIOTIC AMERICAN DEMOCRACY!!!!



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 
My voting district is heavily populated by Mexican-Americans, and the only voting machine is for disabled people to use- we still vote by paper ballot here.



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by jimmyx
 
When I go to the voting booth in Texas I have to produce either my voter's registration card or my state issued ID either of which is verified by scanner to prove that I am a registered voter. At the pooling place there are always people of all races, but no matter what if you cannot prove you are a registered voter you are not allowed to cast your ballot. As registering to vote is FREE any legal citizen over the age of 18 may do so without cost. There are shuttle services available to those who do not have transportation. What exactly is racist about that?



did you have to wait 8 hours in line because of too few voting machines?....guess what...in predominately minority polling districts...they did....I know...I think in 2014 in every heavily republican white voting district, they only allow 3 voting machines for every 100,000 voters....maybe you should get a TASTE of PATRIOTIC AMERICAN DEMOCRACY!!!!


I guess the Black Panthers were committed elsewhere that day... they could have brought their ball bats...



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
Strict voter ID laws sound like a winner to me.

The cries of racism loose their strength more and more, soon maybe those that keep racism alive for political gain will die out and we can move forward as one.


don't worry, the right-wing supreme court, along with the tea-party is keeping racism alive all by themselves.....here's a good suggestion, if you think there is no racism today, why don't you actually talk to some people that think there is. you know, maybe to get a different opinion from someone that has actually experienced it



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150

I guess the Black Panthers were committed elsewhere that day... they could have brought their ball bats...


black panthers??... really?.... a defunct group from 50 years ago?....
edit on Tue Jun 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: nest quote edtied Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx
 

black panthers??... really?.... a defunct group from 50 years ago?....


Don't you watch the news? This last presidential election the new Black Panthers were bringing in people by the bus loads in Houston, which is good- but then they started shoving people out of the way and assaulting folks to push the people they brought to the front of the line....a good many of which weren't even registered to vote. They were threatening people and acting ugly and the police had to be called to get them to stop.



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by jimmyx
 

black panthers??... really?.... a defunct group from 50 years ago?....


Don't you watch the news? This last presidential election the new Black Panthers were bringing in people by the bus loads in Houston, which is good- but then they started shoving people out of the way and assaulting folks to push the people they brought to the front of the line....a good many of which weren't even registered to vote. They were threatening people and acting ugly and the police had to be called to get them to stop.



and you have evidence of this that is reliable? like a Houston police report? or coverage by local news reporters? or is this just a breitbart website report?



posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by jimmyx
 

black panthers??... really?.... a defunct group from 50 years ago?....


Don't you watch the news? This last presidential election the new Black Panthers were bringing in people by the bus loads in Houston, which is good- but then they started shoving people out of the way and assaulting folks to push the people they brought to the front of the line....a good many of which weren't even registered to vote. They were threatening people and acting ugly and the police had to be called to get them to stop.



And voter intimidation in Philadelphia in 2008 where they posted members at polling places with batons and carried out blatant voter intimidation... when the lawsuits were filed against the new Black Panthers, Mr. Holder dismissed the claims outright...

Read the news. Look it up. It's all documented.

edit on 25-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Cosmic indifference
edit on 25-6-2013 by madmac5150 because: Accuracy





new topics

top topics



 
8
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join