It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Wide Web Inventor Wants Online Freedom

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What AL GORE didn't invent the internet?

Someone needs to tell him.

And yeah I do remember what it was like pre internet- people were smarter now its just the largest tool of manipulation the world has ever seen.

edit on 26-6-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

World Wide Web Inventor Wants Online Freedom

news.sky.com

The founder of the world wide web has called for safeguards to prevent his invention being controlled by governments or large companies.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee's warning came as he and five colleagues were recognised by the Queen for their pioneering work.

I think Sir Tim Berners-Lee is a bit late with his request. The web has grown so large, does he even have any part of it he controls? How could his hopes get addressed?

Berners-Lee is the director of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which oversees the Web's continued development. He is also the founder of the World Wide Web Foundation, and is a senior researcher and holder of the Founders Chair at the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL).[6] He is a director of the Web Science Research Initiative (WSRI),[7] and a member of the advisory board of the MIT Center for Collective Intelligence.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

So do any of you ATS'ers actually remember clearly what it was like WITHOUT the internet?

My dad was a relatively early adopter of the internet. I remember back in 1986 or 1987 going online, I was 4 or 5 years old at the time. I'm right in that age where I'm young enough to have been online virtually my entire life, but old enough that I still remember researching in the library.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My Al Gore joke isn't as funny now that I know 3 others have mentioned it.
edit on 6/26/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I had always been taught that the military basicAlly invented the internet. It started as ARPANet in the 60s with interconnected defense networks... how did this guy become the inventor?

Oh ok we are talkin WWW not straight internet, gotcha. Just so everyone understands the difference, the internet is the actual network, or medium, and the WWW is a method of accessing information over that medium. Two different things.
edit on 6/26/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I remember what it was like before I had the internet. My cousins had it for a long time before my family got it. So much so that when I first hit the internet, it was at our local library. My first mail account was started in 2001, when we first had access at home.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
people should be secret.
Governments should be transparent.....

Well said. You're not alone in your mindset.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Even free societies have laws and regulations with a body of individuals playing oversight committee.

A country has its sovereign right to protect its citizens.

So, the online freedom is just as free as your offline freedom. Your government will do its thing, accept it.

As for the before the internet stuff - sure we all miss it. People actually conversed with each other. When you visited buds, you all didn't spend the time together text'n and watching vid clips - you actually spoke what was on your mind. Or watched what was on cable and didn't converse much except when a chick had big nockers on tv, then it was 'lets say the first thing that comes to mind.' Either way, you weren't trying to attend to one liner conversations with multiple people. You actually spoke complete thoughts and really laughed out loud.

Once we all get Google glasses, our kids will be like, 'Remember when we actually had to type our thoughts instead of speak them, those were better times.' Could only imagine the increase of YouTube videos.

I feel sorry when that generation tries to run for public office. They have no idea how F'd they are.

-CN

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
HI,

it is very commendable for them to commend these inventors...though questionably, 20 years seems like a long distance to find recognition of this level...and it seemed peculiar, or ironic maybe, that an number of companies funding the prize are likely to be funding other unmentioned institutions in favor of the very things the inventors are advising against.
way to go for them and thanks for the invention guy!!! ~

LOVE

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join