It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hastings drove like a Grandma" (Says friends and relatives)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

If the accelerator is stuck, the smartest thing to do is put it in neutral. In this case though, and in many, who's to say who knows what to do under those circumstances.

We don't even know what the circumstances are.

There are claims that cars and ECUs can be hacked, in which case, the heroic actions you state that come as natural to you as Bruce Willis in a Tarantino movie, they might not have even been viable.

I still don't get how you are arguing when you don't know all the facts.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
So I guess that leaves me wondering why he was so negligent in Not turning the engine off, or jumping out, or putting it in park, or even hitting the fuel shut off. It is apparently clear that he had plenty of time to do any one of those functions.

By the way, the navigation is Not a problem, that the video shows a left turn onto that street without a right turn option would indicate that it is not a straight path.;
edit on 26-6-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

However, former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard Clarke told the Huffington Post that “what is known about the single-vehicle crash is ‘consistent with a car cyber attack’.

Source

So you are so confused as to why he didn't just simply shut the car off or disable it under the scenario the car was hacked? But it's quite possible he couldn't even if he tried.

A even worse scenario envisioned by one researcher: a hack that would disable your breaks while you’re driving on the highway.

Link

If it's known you can disable a person's brakes with a hack, the unknown hacks are probably even more severe.

the researchers say that by connecting to a standard diagnostic computer port included in late-model cars, they were able to do some nasty things, such as turning off the brakes, changing the speedometer reading, blasting hot air or music on the radio, and locking passengers in the car. T

Link

So far I've found evidence of hacks that will shut down braking systems making them useless, and the ability to lock someone in their car.

Add in a hack for making it impossible to switch out of gear and you could easily replicate the possible cause in the OP story.

I would like to acknowledge I am being speculative here. But I don't see a reason to dismiss it simply because someone thinks they could outsmart a hacked car with ease like a common protagonist in an action movie.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If someone is trying to "get away" and driving fast to that end, all it takes is a momentary glimpse at your rear view mirror to lose track of the road. At high speed, that can be fatal.

Trees are the hardest barriers, I never seen one that size knocked down by a car at any speed. They get scraped and gouged (or burned) but remain steadfast. Even a direct hit.

He was unconscious after that impact.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It also doesn't take a Genius to engage the EMERGENCY BRAKE so the whole brake hacking thing is for not. All that hack garbage can be circumvented.

Furthermore, why didn’t he just open the glove box and yank the ECM. It would have stopped ALL hacking attempts immediately in addition to stopping the car.

None of this has anything to do with movies as some might suggest. It is just to bad that some aren't able to think as fast. Although, according to the video, he did have a couple of minutes act. That is like an eternity when you are in the thick of the fray.

Also, regardless of the door being locked by any outside force, it is real easy to break the window and jump out. Though it is not the first option it definitely could be used as a last resort.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with movies, it is all fact.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

It also doesn't take a Genius to engage the EMERGENCY BRAKE so the whole brake hacking thing is for not. All that hack garbage can be circumvented.

Was it a manual or an automatic? Most people don't even know where the ebrake is on an automatic.

And have you tried using an ebrake while accelerating?

Furthermore, why didn’t he just open the glove box and yank the ECM. It would have stopped ALL hacking attempts immediately in addition to stopping the car.

You're joking right? No one is taking you seriously with this line.

Also, regardless of the door being locked by any outside force, it is real easy to break the window and jump out. Though it is not the first option it definitely could be used as a last resort.

Your doors lock, your car speeds off and brakes are not working. You instantly think to break the window while trying to negotiate the out-of-control car.

Yeah, seriously, you watch too many movies.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It has nothing to do with movies.

The man had several minutes to find a solution. That he was Neglegent in doing so would indicate that either he died by his own hand while driving like an idiot, OR, was just tired with life and decided to end it.

By the way this whole damn thing is a joke.

If it was never mentioned that he had sent an email 2 hours prior, would everyone still be saying that it was suspicious?

I could care less about his "Character References". I knew a dog one time that was the best dog on the planet and never did anything wrong and then one day he ate half of a woman's face off. Just Like That. So family and friends saying that he "Drove Like Grandma" really means nothing. They weren't there. They don't know what he was thinking.

And anyone who might make a conspiracy out of this tragedy has watched way to many movies.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

If it was never mentioned that he had sent an email 2 hours prior, would everyone still be saying that it was suspicious?

I don't know. When a woman is found bludgeoned to death in her home does the court care if witnesses saw the husband screaming at her minutes earlier before the death occurred?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No,

Especially if he had just received a Dear John Letter, OR had to go to the Bathroom.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I don't know. When a woman is found bludgeoned to death in her home does the court care if witnesses saw the husband screaming at her minutes earlier before the death occurred?

Well, then,

Without asking a question, answer yes or no.

Because I don't think anyone would be yelling conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
That wasn't just the engine that flew out. Wasn't it also the transmission? That's nuts.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

...No,
...Especially if he had just received a Dear John Letter, OR had to go to the Bathroom.

Let's see... He had been through an experience on many levels considered "worse" than a Dear John Letter a few years back...when his fiancée was killed by an "improvised explosive device" in Iraq...in 2007.

When you gotta go - you gotta go... I'm familiar with the sentiment. Many times I've dealt with said situation. None of those times, did I endanger others' lives...for my own relief. (And - no-one would say I drive like a Grandma.) If it goes past the point of no return...you're thinking he was of the unbelievably small percentile, that would risk others' lives...and then, kill himself...rather than...just do the nasty in the car, and clean up as soon as possible?
No? He'd rather crash head-on into an immovable palm tree - at 100 (or so) mph...and let the flames dry him off?
Uggghhh!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

...Without asking a question, answer yes or no.
...Because I don't think anyone would be yelling conspiracy.

Yes or no.
There...submitted to your demands.
When any event, action or statement is considered out of context, it can be misconstrued miserably, and turn otherwise (potentially) reasonable people into babbling fools.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
From first post on thread, that Fox brought up the conclusive evidence by "a friend" that Hastings was on about the CIA, I don't buy it one bit, plus, it adds to reputation of Fox news being faux news. A friend wouldn't say that, simply on the running truth that anybody who gets into CIA business schemes enough to advertise it, and much worse, sell it, gets consequenced very hard by men in suits with black leather gloves and silencer guns, get it? Hastings knew that already; how else does he get clearance to talk with generals before they fall, and get first grab news about legal details of national security leaks? The one thing CIA gets away with is breaking laws under certain circumstances.

With all the CIA and former-CIA types in the media and in the military circles that Hastings was aware of, how he would do something so stupid doesn't make much sense unless Hastings was CIA himself, and some other group, not necessarily US, was giving him a difficult time. In Southern California, I don't know the current underground climate, but there are crime bosses from all over the planet around there. So, it's not necessarily CIA; the word "CIA" could have been thrown around to his friends to keep them from catching the story.

About the picture with the "bullet holes", no those are 2 welding spots on the frame and a hole for a European car jack, I think, from looking at other cars. The dent in the tree suggests 80 miles per hour. Those trees are sturdy. What is the typical speed for the region, 35 miles an hour among all those lights? Maybe there is a freeway nearby and he just came off that after a chase. Another idea is that he was drunk at 4:30 in the morning. If he was a smoker he could have dropped his lighter or cigarette and it could have slipped somewhere out of reach.

It's the saddest thing to see that picture with the man's head in the vehicle. He didn't try to escape, unless maybe his belt buckle was superglued.

If it is assassination, all this might apply: the speeding evidence is edited by FBI or faked, the body is a cadaver dummy in the car, the car was remote controlled. My first guess before seeing evidence and the mountain of disinfo, was I thought they had his body close to the scene of the accident, having kidnapped him after being drugged, and they sent some other guy to fetch the car, and the other guy went speeding around to keep up with things; they crash it by accident, put him in the car, and set it on fire. Sounds like something a bunch of criminal Mexicans would do actually.

But then if it were so why not steal the car after he was reported missing? Because that's the first thing the feds would look for. A hasty assassination of Hastings.

Final theory: spontaneous human combustion.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
...If it is assassination, all this might apply: the speeding evidence is edited by FBI or faked, the body is a cadaver dummy in the car, the car was remote controlled. My first guess before seeing evidence and the mountain of disinfo, was I thought they had his body close to the scene of the accident, having kidnapped him after being drugged, and they sent some other guy to fetch the car, and the other guy went speeding around to keep up with things; they crash it by accident, put him in the car, and set it on fire. Sounds like something a bunch of criminal Mexicans would do actually.

After considering the story a bit...my thoughts returned to the plot in the movie "Fletch".
If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it (should you care to)... So - I don't know where I'm going with this, if I can't discuss the plot.
Hmmm...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Doesn't that vehicle have an event data recorder? Lots of questions would be answered with the recovery and evaluation of it.

Oh, by the way, ShadellacZumbrum please continue to post. I haven't laughed this much in a while. Broken engine mount full throttle lol... what make/model did this happen with? Fuel cut-off under the dash? JUMP OUT?!! Oh my aching sides...

Well, anyway, most newer cars are drive by wire so the accelerator pedal is not controlled by a direct cable anymore. It's pedal position sensor that tells the throttle plate in the intake what position to be in. So if you were to disable breaks and then make the sensor read WOT (wide open throttle) you could have quite a mess.

Here's one last thing to ruffle a few feathers:

arstechnica.com...

www.autoblog.com...

Although I can't find it now, I'm pretty sure the C250 was a vehicle that had this vulnerability. (At the moment this is hearsay)

: )

EDIT: to add the 33 minute video presentation from the security conference.

www.usenix.org...
edit on 27-6-2013 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

None of this has anything to do with movies as some might suggest. It is just to bad that some aren't able to think as fast. Although, according to the video, he did have a couple of minutes act. That is like an eternity when you are in the thick of the fray.

You don't seem to grasp the concept of panic. If you are in that situation it is more than likely that you wont be thinking straight, because you're panicking. Every single thing you've claimed he could have done are actions that wouldn't come to a hysterical mind in that situation. It's not 'too bad' that some people don't think like that, it's the common reaction to that situation. I'm sorry that you perceive yourself to be so much smarter than the average person, it may be what you claim you'd do, but not everyone would have those ideas. And how do we know that he didn't have those ideas, that he didn't try to stop his vehicle? You were not inside the car therefore you cannot accuse Hastings of failing to react in an intelligent manner.

Maybe he wasn't able to think fast on his feet, and maybe he didn't know why his car was behaving that way. It's pretty hard to remove the ECM when you don't know it's there...

And honestly, have you ever tried to break the window of a vehicle while it's travelling high speed and you're panicking? I'm sure it's not as easy as you think it is. Breaking a window with your bare hands isn't the easiest thing, but imagine trying to do it while you're driving a car that's travelling at high speeds. You'd have to be steering the car and keeping your eyes on the road all while attempting to break a window. It's a little harder in that case.

You keep on posting these assumptions and over thought scenarios and claiming that they're fact. They're not facts! Facts are things that are known and proven to be true. While they may be considered facts in a general sense or in certain situations, when applied to this case they're not facts, they're assumptions. The reality of the situation is that none of us know the facts, so please stop claiming to.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

If you think this whole thing is a joke, why are constantly posting in this thread? You've made it clear numerous times that you know all the facts and that there is nothing suspicious about his death. If that's the case why are you hanging around and counteracting everyone else's opinions with your 'facts'? I don't understand.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It seems the Obamanites are out in full force with this thread. Had Snowden released anything with no proof they would have deemed him a crackpot or some disgruntled government employee and then cry and say he has no proof.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This is not the first time that the CIA has probably killed someone who was about to out them to the public. In fact, this very same thing happened with multiple individuals, the most notable that comes to mind being Dorothy Kilgallen, who was about to publish what she had learned about the JFK assassination. There are others who knew that the CIA had at least some complacency in the assassination, and thus they needed to cover that up. And in fact, with the JFK assassination ALONE, there were quite a number of suspicious deaths among witnesses and others who knew more than the general public. This is a recurring pattern.

The CIA has predominantly used two main methods for assassinating US citizens on US soil, although there are a couple more methods that seem to have been utilized. These main methods are first drugging an individual, then pushing them out the window of a very tall building, making it look like a suicide. The other is the most loved method, and involves auto accidents. Accidents are so common place that of course this is a perfect method. All they do is follow a person in a car until they reach a predetermined area, and then they run them off the road. Or that is at least how they used to do it, decades ago. They probably have more sophisticated ways of doing this now. They may even drug a person beforehand, making it easier to run them off the road. There are likely poisons that they have that can be absorbed through the skin, so they can easily administer them to the target. And they are likely not tested for or traceable during an autopsy.

Another favorite method, that has been in use by the CIA more recently, involves suicides as well. There was a very prominent instance after the 911 attacks. The woman who stated she was had insider information straight from bureaucrats in Washington, who stated on public radio that she was NOT planning on killing herself, and who was anxious to publish what she knew, suddenly was found dead a couple of days later of an apparent suicide. It is quite obvious that she was not suicidal, and in fact the suicide question posed to her was asked because of the potential for her assassination by some government group because of what she knew. And these are just a handful of the cases that have taken place in America. They happen outside of the US, by US intelligence, much more often, but they still happen frequently in the US as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If he drove like MY grandma did, no wonder he's dead

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join