It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Bus Ads To Be Removed In Seattle (King County)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

McDermott and others are outraged that most of the 16 people on the ad are clearly Middle Eastern. He wrote a letter to the FBI, the U.S. Justice Department and others last week asking that the Joint Terrorism Task Force 'Faces of Global Terrorism' ad be removed.

Here's A Copy Of The Letter

I haven't delved too far into this yet as I just heard it on the radio on the way home, but my understanding is that these are the most wanted terrorists as listed by the FBI. So what are we to do? Should we elevate terrorists based on the color of their skin and religious affiliations so that they don't all appear Middle Eastern/Muslim? Oh wait... that sounds like discrimination which I thought was the initial reason for this fauxtrage in the first place.

I agree that people need to be vigilant and understand that not all terrorists are Muslim or Middle Eastern. The point here is to highlight the worst and most dangerous, not be all inclusive.

"What if you had an ad going around on buses with 16 pictures of blacks on them and the title saying "the faces of national murderers and rapists?" asks Jeff Siddiqui, founder of the American Muslims of Puget Sound.

Well, yeah. If the top 16 most wanted murderers are black,white or green then put up the pictures. I don't care what religion/race/gender someone is. If they are that violent they should be in the spotlight. You shouldn't elevate someone who is less of a threat based on some weird politically correct nonsense that when looked at rationally is doing EXACTLY what it aims to eliminate.

Again, I may very well be wrong that these are the top 16, but I still find this ridiculous even if I am. I also find it insulting to Middle Easterners and Muslims. I would think the majority hate terrorism and would want to be informed about the worst of the worst, regardless if they shared some commonalities.

Thoughts appreciated.

Source

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Its crazy that with all the tech to spy that they have, they still find the time to ask ordinary citizens to do most of the work. And with a hefty reward nonetheless.

Millions of people walk around with no real freedom, let the gov do their jobs, this is just their way of asking for a hand out, so they have more reason to spy on ordinary citizens.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

"McDermott and others" don't happen to be of Middle Eastern Descent are they?

Why do they take a WANTED Poster so literally.

Well, I don't hear anyone BRitchen' when they walk into a Post Office. Go have a look some time. Most of the FBIs Most Wanted is of Middle Eastern Descent. Maybe they should SpearHead against the FBI for putting Dangerous People in the Spot Light.

I actually think it is a good idea. When you want someone found the best thing to do is to put their faces where Everyone can see them.

How about if. .. . . .. .

'Ol Joe has been your next door neighbor for a couple of years. He doesn't bother anyone and pretty much keeps to himself. He has a regular daily routine just like anyone.

But,. . . one day while you are down town boarding a bus you see his picture Plastered All of the Bus as Americas Most Wanted. Hum,.. . who knew.

Anyways, the point is that putting a face in the spot light is pretty damn effective. I guess that is why they used to put the faces of missing children on Milk Cartons.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I don't think it's crazy or asking for a handout. You can have all the best technology (which we apparently do) and still not be able to find someone without a tip from an average Joe.

Would you rather the police inform you of the sexual predator that just moved in a few houses away or rely on technology to keep you safe?

So back to the point, do you feel that these ads should be taken down because they are racist or discriminatory? I agree they aren't exactly the best use of the Feds money. I take issue with a politician having them removed because it's somehow unfair to people who share a slight commonality.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think that the letter days it all.

I agree that civilian vigilance is important to the fight against extremism. Representing terrorists, however, from only one ethnic or religious group, promotes stereotypes and ignores other forms of extremism. The FBI's Most Wanted Terrorist List includes other races and associated with other religions and causes but their faces are missing from this campaign.

I think that this says what the concern really is, and I am glad that someone who could make a difference did.

The FBI's Most Wanted Terrorist List includes other races and associated with other religions and causes but their faces are missing from this campaign.

Here are the Top 10 that are from, or are in, or have committed a crime in the US. Can you see the difference? These guys we have a better chance of finding.
www.fbi.gov...

Peace, NRE.

edit on 25-6-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Agreed that the FBI shouldn't really be wasting resources on a campaign like this. That being said, I think it's ridiculous to attempt to censor the fact that most of the folks on the most wanted terror list appear to be Middle Eastern

Most Wanted Terrorists

I think it would make a lot more sense to have campaigns like this with ten most wanted believed to be in a certain state, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

I take issue with people so bent on being tolerant and all inclusive that they wind up downplaying the race/religion of a certain group of ne'er do wells so as not to offend.

Let's take the terrorism out of it and have a small town scenario. Let's say there's a certain family that are dirt bags. Let's say they all end up on that towns most wanted list because they are the most violent and highest priority. Should we remove the faces because they're all white? Or black? Or Middle Eastern? Or whatever?

Let's say we have three murderers. Two have each killed three people. One has killed 100. Doesn't it make more sense to plaster that face, regardless of race or creed?

I think the FBI was going for awareness that there are substantial rewards for reporting suspected terrorists. I think it's obvious someone who is going to take on the risks associated with being an informant may need to some incentive to do so. So if Seattle is a large target, put up the terrorists with the biggest bounties to show people there are rewards.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Wheres the pics of Obama, Netanyahu, Bernanke, Holder, Brennan, Napolitano, etc

All I see is just a bunch of random dudes who were slopped together in photoshop for all I know.

edit on 6/25/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok you white. male, christians... WE NEED YOU!!

Get out there and start acting in the name of your god and religion... Start being a criminal murderer, and put an end to this blatant xenophobic racist ignorance. It's up to YOU, white male christians, to set the record straight.

We will NOT have this tilted ignorance showing the poor maligned terrorists as all being middle eastern.

We will NOT stand for this neo-apartheid.

Act now, and remedy this injustice.

.... jesus wept at the insanity..

Next on the agenda, bikers. Why are they all on motorcycles. It is blatantly discriminatory to those of us who take the bus. I want to see OUTLAW BUSSERS Represented.. 1% concession.

edit on 25-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I kind of expected there would be responses like this. I would appreciate it if we could avoid them. My intent here wasn't to start a thread where we start naming politicians we don't like and think have committed acts of terrorism, or a debate about what terrorism is.

I want a discussion about what to me seems like some weird affirmative action spin off.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Seattle is turning into such a bland town with all it's political correctness.

I have not seen these signs yet, but the ones I keep seeing are the human trafficking ones that are subtly targeting minorities (mostly asian and mexican from the signs I've seen so far).

I'm not sure how I feel about McD's opinion on this matter. I'd sort of like to have more information on who the real top 10-20 or so terrorists are to the USA, who's backing them? and who's backing the people backing them?? I'm reading more and more instances where many of these terrorists are possibly CIA fronts, with money and agenda coming from a source that is well hidden and channeled through many other sources so the truth is difficult (but not impossible) to find.

Thanks much for sharing OP!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yes people, all the terrorist are from middle east. Its clearly true!

They will take your freedom if you don't agree to drop a nuke!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You're completely missing the point. I guess that's my fault since I authored the OP.

I don't think all terrorists are Middle Eastern, Muslim, whatever. My issue here is that it's apparently not acceptable to say that the majority of the top ten most wanted for terrorism are. Why is that taboo?

In any group you're going to run into similarities. Say you round up the last ten people that raped someone in a certain area. I HIGHLY doubt it's going to be perfectly spread between every religion and every race. You're going to have repeats. I don't care if it's Christian, white, black, atheists whatever. Showing the most wanted people is not being racist or encouraging discrimination against a certain group.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

I have not seen these signs yet, but the ones I keep seeing are the human trafficking ones that are subtly targeting minorities (mostly asian and mexican from the signs I've seen so far).

I've seen a lot of those too. Now if people aren't complete imbeciles they may realize that the majority of people that wind up as sex slaves are from a certain place and deserve more attention than a suburban white kid.

Yes it can happen to anyone. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen more often within a specific group. It also doesn't mean we should elevate a child abducted by a family member with a custody dispute to override a child abducted by a known pedophile.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Yes please put McCain, Pelosi, Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney, Obama, and Holder up there. Also the guy in charge of the NSA whoever that may be.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Maybe people are beginning to see the agenda. Maybe people are more or less looking to get the "State/U.S" terrorists, before start wasting time and money on a global agenda, as it says on the sign. The Top10 I posted should be a hell of a start.

Im more concerned with the murderer next door, than a possible muslim extremist half way around the world, or I supposed to believe that they are hiding as a barrista at the local starbucks?

Where exactly are we supposed to see these people? If they cant find them, and get 25 mil, then many people are waking up to see that every time something like this makes forms a distraction, that we have no need to bother with it, I say lets look at home before apparently trying to save the world from "Worldwide Terrorism".

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Now if they were talking about domestic terrorists, then they should take off the gloves and start taking down the street gangs. After all terrorism is their stock and trade. But Obama and Holder are not black enough to tackle that problem.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Look at you, being all Political and understanding the Necessity of these Ads. Nothing gets past you.

An independent review of terrorism legislation in the UK notes that government rhetoric regarding terrorism is “exaggerated for political or commercial purposes” and that many more people are killed each year by bee stings.

More people killed from bee Stings ... More people Drowned in Bath tubs... shark bites...falls from ladders...
Yup, our Gubmint has us in their little hearts.
www.infowars.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ugh redo.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

I ended up replying to two.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I get that my OP may not have conveyed what I took issue with, but have you read the other posts?

I agree with you that the FBI is wasting money with ads like this.

My issue is with pretending the ads are racist or somehow targeting a religious minority. So we can agree that going after people that are most likely not going to be found in Seattle is a silly and futile effort. Yes? I certainly don't think that every person of Middle Eastern Descent or Muslim creed is a terrorist. Can we agree on that?

Here is my issue. If you have a list of the most wanted terrorists (AGAIN I'm not debating if this makes sense for Seattle bus ads) should it be censored because a certain group is over represented? You really don't think that's silly? OF COURSE there are other folks with different religions and skin colors that are being sought by the FBI. AGAIN this was a bus ad about terrorists. I agree that it's a stupid campaign, I'm arguing about the reaction to the campaign that was based on ethnicity and religion. It IS silly for the FBI to take out an ad with the most wanted terrorists. But can we come to an agreement that it's silly to get pissed about the people on that list being from a certain place and practicing a certain religion? Accepting that the people on that list are from a certain place in no way makes you racist. You have to take a logic leap to get there.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Look at you, being all Political and understanding the Necessity of these Ads. Nothing gets past you.

Have you read the thread? Really isn't all that long and I think the ads are as silly as the guy denouncing them. I just don't think he's taken up the right issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join