It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mozilla foundation releases fire fox 22 this will change the web forever

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Awen24

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hundreds of tabs? If you say so but I'm tired of repeating myself, it's not my PC its Firefox. That's all there is too it.

It's probably part and parcel of your Firefox profile, actually. More often than not, creating a new firefox profile and then reinstalling all of your addons etc. will solve those slowdowns.

Actually, it could easily be either or BOTH...

A corrupt profile will definitely cause problems - but so will some Addons.

We have been using Firefox since before version 1.0 (even before it was called Firefox), and yes, some version have had problems, and yes, it has always had memory issues, some versions worse than others - but so have other browsers from time to time.

I personally have been using it for 10 years or so, with 40+ Addons (and the UI heavily customized, and have never had any serious problems with it that a profile refresh (export bookmarks, create fresh profile, install Addons manually, restore bookmarks) wouldn't resolve.

One thing that has been a constant though, is badly coded FLASH content on web pages - but buggy flash is a problem on all browsers, chrome included.

As to total memory usage - chrome might seem like it uses less, but when you get lots of tabs open, total up the amount of RAM each chrome.exe process uses, and you'll find it comes close to the total that Firefox uses when looking at the same pages.

Different browsers have different pros and cons - I tell people to use what they like. I personally hate chrome, but that doesn't mean it is a bad browser. Firefox does it for me - I love the customizability.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
I have had the same issue, but I narrowed it down to Adobe Flash. One tab and adobe flash and it my cpu spikes and memory goes to lala land. I don't care to much for apple products nor Stebe Jobs but he was correct on telling adobe that they have crappy software.

Bingo...

Also, the reason that it affects some users more than others is most likely a combination of FLASH, and their particular video card and/or driver.

First thing to do is try updating the video driver to the latest version (get it straight from the manufacturers site), and make sure your FLASH is up to date.

Hopefully this tech update and html will truly make flash something of the past.

We can only hope!

edit on 10-9-2014 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I didn't read the entire thread, so please forgive me if this is a duplicate post.

Firefox is nice, and it's plugins such as the No Script Suite, Ghostery, and flash to HTML5 converter are really tops. Flash to HTML5 has really made it close to unnecessary to install proprietary software from Adobe. I am a huge advocate for open source projects like those. There's also several forks of Firefox, like Iceweasel or Waterfox, for example, that come packaged with some extensions to make proprietary software such as adobe no longer needed.

Google has another browser thats open source and in the development stages call Chromium. I use it regularly and love it. There are stable distros for most of the common Linux platforms, like Debian, and Gentoo. Fedora 20 and Redhat can run it but the released repository is not stable and seems to be prone to some crashy bugs. Windows release is stable. Coolest part about Chromium? It's 100% sandboxed

The sandbox is a C++ library that allows the creation of sandboxed processes — processes that execute within a very restrictive environment. The only resources sandboxed processes can freely use are CPU cycles and memory. For example, sandboxes processes cannot write to disk or display their own windows. What exactly they can do is controlled by an explicit policy. Chromium renderers are sandboxed processes.

FAQ

May be a worth while for those interested in a lightwhieght browser alternative to Firefox. Chromium also has plugins/extensions support, there just isnt as many of them since its still in devel.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

i can run 50 tabs easily in firefox.That is 50.i even did 300 once.i only have 2 gigs of ram.i use firefox.i use an an old 2008 +3200 amd processor at 2 ghz.i use an ati480 motherboard from 2008.

i can provide you with screen shots

so why can't you ?

you have a faulty computer.or you don't know how to operate it.

learn how it works first before attacking firefox for your own incompetence.

edit on 13-9-2014 by championoftruth because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5   >>

join