It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mozilla foundation releases fire fox 22 this will change the web forever

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Eonnn

Delta search engine?

You sure you're getting Firefox from Mozilla directly and not downloading it from some shady malware piggybacking scam site?

The default Firefox homepage has a Google box and the default list of search engine options has Google, Bing, Amazon, Wikipedia, etc...

The only time I've ever seen that Delta search is when people come to me with a seriously filthy PC loaded with dozens of toolbars and browser hijacking malware.

Shouldnt blame Firefox for not working properly if it's your fault it's loaded with crap to begin with.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Firefox isn't perfect by any stretch, but the problems you were having were NOT due just to Firefox.

We have been using it in our company (50+ employees) exclusively ever since its very first 'version' (0.8, when it changed its name from Firebird).

For the last 6 or 7 years, I've been using it with anywhere from 40 to 50 addons (most of which I install for everyone), with very little trouble (barring the occasional issue with a bug introduced in an extension, which is usually quickly fixed)...

Currently running with 47 extensions:

Application: Firefox 22.0 (20130618035212)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Adblock Plus 2.2.4
- Add Bookmark Here ² 17.0.20121128
- Clickless Menu 2.3
- ColorZilla 2.8.1
- Console² 0.9
- Context Bookmarks 1.7
- Context Search X 0.4.6.10 (Disabled)
- deskCut 0.6.0.3
- Domain Details 2.7
- Download Manager Tweak 0.9.8
- DownloadHelper 4.9.15
- eCleaner 1.4
- Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
- Findbar Basics 1.6
- FindBar Tweak 1.2.0
- FireFTP 2.0.16
- FireShot 0.98.38
- Forecastfox 2.2.2
- FoxClocks 3.1.26
- IE View Lite 1.3.5
- Image Zoom 0.6.3
- Lazarus: Form Recovery 2.3
- Link Alert 1.0.2
- LogMeIn, Inc. Remote Access Plugin 1.0.0.1024
- Movable Firefox Button 1.4
- NoScript 2.6.6.6
- OptimizeGoogle 0.79.1
- PasswordMaker 1.7.8
- Personal Titlebar 1.0.20121130
- Print / Print Preview (Update) 0.7.7
- ProfileSwitcher 1.5.0.4
- QuoteURLText 1.0.9b
- Restartless Restart 9
- Searchbar Autosizer 2.0.20
- Slim Add-ons Manager 9
- SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.8.20130519.3
- SortPlaces 1.9.2
- SQLite Manager 0.8.0
- Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.0
- Tamper Data 11.0.1
- Thumbnail Zoom Plus 2.4.3
- Tiny Menu 2.0.4
- TinyURL Generator 2.6.1
- Toggle Private Browsing 1.8
- Track Package 3.4
- Tree Style Tab 0.14.2013052901
- URL Link 2.04.1

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tanstaafl

Oh... and I routinely have 30 or 40 tabs open when I'm engaged in my news/reading:

www.dailyrotation.com

I have had the occasional crash, but TabMixPlus' Session Manager has never let me down...

Note: 32 bit Firefox can't use more than 3.6GB of RAM, so your 16GB is only helping in so much as running multiple programs most likely won't use up all of your RAM...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sean
Maybe these been answered, but What's the performance of all this in the real world?

if VP9 is added to webrtc a HD quality video call between end points would use half of the amount of packets for the same video quality.

Firefox hasn't even officially put out a 64bit version;

i dont know much about that...

with that how is this all going to really measure up?

better faster clearer and royalty free

They talk about security, but is it really?

i think i read they are going to use DTLS for a secure connection, not really sure about implementation .....

They always say it's secure and days after some hacker punches a hole through their so called security.

never ending improvement is the only defence

This stuff eats up upload bandwidth so Coaxial cable or a fiber internet provider is a must.

if VP9 is added to web rtc is can run in different bit rates depending on your connection, adjust to conditions.

Imagine having dsl with wifi and trying this. Dsl already has a high latency with it's error correction overhead, along with wifi's latency pfft forget it.

there are people already working on these problems

Moreover, you have this new app being a bandwidth hog app with little bandwidth available. Not to mention encapsulating all this with encryption. This will run puke slow. Now if both sides have a gigibit lan setup on fiber then you're going to get somewhere.

there have been major advances in codec design optimized with streaming in mind

xploder

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

I've used Firefox since 1.0, never had that problem. In fact, that's what I'm using right now, this window has 5 tabs going, another has 2, all is well and snappy. You may want to check for other culprits.

Now, I'm going to read the whole article.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

If you don't have malware, trojans, or a virus on your PC, then you probably have the NSA sneaking around on your computer :-) I regularly have a dozen or so tabs open for days at a time with no problem.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The thing I noticed most about the version 22 update is they screwed around with browser rendering. Makes everything big and blurry.
Not sure if they'll fix it.

But whether or not they do, this will get you close to how it was previously... (YMMV)

Type "about:config" in the address bar to access internal settings.
Find the setting "layout.css.dev.PixelsPerPix" and set it's value to something between 1 and 1.5.

This still doesn't fix the fact that the content part of the browser window still renders everything a bit larger.

Get the "default full zoom" extension. Under that extension's options, set to 85% (At least this is what worked for me.)

Not quite perfect, but better than having everything oversized. Stuff remains ever so slightly blurred though, which is annoying. I wish there was some way to turn off that scaling or otherwise make it act like it did in the previous version. (And then of course somebody will say to change to compatibility mode for XP, which does what when you happen to be using XP SP3? My OS settings for DPI are fine, but the browser's new way of interpreting them are messed up.)

The other stuff may be cool, but something annoying or "broken" is what got my attention first and foremost.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I have used, and loved, Firefox for years, and now have reason to love them even more!!!!

Second line.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

/rant

lol, Clueless.

I use only firefox, and I constantly have at least 10-15 tabs open, usually around 20-30. (no joke)
I have no memory issues.

You need either A: A new computer~ B: A New operating system~ C: Both.
Best solution: Get a new computer and install Linux on it. lol
Your problem isnt firefox.

I do the same thing with firefox from multiple computers, daily.. and I have no problems.

Nothings runs as well.
I currently have 5 pinned tabs and 16 unpinned tabs open. No problem at all.

Firefox is essentially what brought the internet to you in the first place.
Know your history bro. lol

edit on 28-6-2013 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

I also use Firefox, and don't have any issues, save at ONE sort of use. Facebook. For some reason, every time that's opened on ANY browser, there are issues. I figure it's FB whining because I have privacy settings and add-ons that make it tough for them to track anything and everything I do.

Other than that, Firefox ROCKS! No random crashes, like I got on IE, with different systems and OS. Good, user-friendly interface. Far, far better browser! Gotta love the Fox!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

sorry, OP, but what kind of BS, hype and fake propaganda is this? you obviously do not have the slightest idea what are you talking about, and you're counting on that neither do ATS readers. wrong.

mozilla this, mozilla that (btw, it's firefox, not 'fire fox'): en.wikipedia.org...
guess what, chrome supports it. now go figure out why. and before you start bashing me as a chrome fanboy, i'm writing this post using firefox 25.0a1 (ux nightly).

all that webrtc provides are some voice call/video chat/p2p capabilities for webbased apps (that's why it is called an API, google what that means) so that such apps won't have to use third party plugins. nothing changes. the statement that opensource VOIP technology up to this time was low quality, is a lie. there are tons of opensource VOIP programs able to use opensource, royalty-free codecs, delivering stellar audio and video quality. here's a tip for your googling: SIP.

royalty-free streaming? open and free web? have you been living in a cave? ever heard about youtube? yes?
en.wikipedia.org...

sorry for not reading the whole thread, perhaps you were bashed quite a few times already, but before you'll post another such a crap thread filled with lies, fantasies and fake propaganda, educate yourself. perhaps then you won't look like a kid that pretends to know something while not knowing anything and willing to show up as someone smart in front of everyone else.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedi_hamster
reply to post by XPLodER

sorry, OP, but what kind of BS, hype and fake propaganda is this? you obviously do not have the slightest idea what are you talking about, and you're counting on that neither do ATS readers. wrong.

hi,
i would not want to offend you further, but what makes you think im clueless?

mozilla this, mozilla that (btw, it's firefox, not 'fire fox'): en.wikipedia.org...
guess what, chrome supports it. now go figure out why. and before you start bashing me as a chrome fanboy, i'm writing this post using firefox 25.0a1 (ux nightly).

im using chrome to type this

all that webrtc provides are some voice call/video chat/p2p capabilities for webbased apps (that's why it is called an API, google what that means) so that such apps won't have to use third party plugins. nothing changes. the statement that opensource VOIP technology up to this time was low quality, is a lie. there are tons of opensource VOIP programs able to use opensource, royalty-free codecs, delivering stellar audio and video quality. here's a tip for your googling: SIP.

i design protocols and codecs, do you? and the specific type of protocol used in VP9 in very different than any other codec produced, and i know how it works do you?

royalty-free streaming? open and free web? have you been living in a cave? ever heard about youtube? yes?
en.wikipedia.org...

you tube has adopted VP9 for testing and will soon be available by default,
do you know about encoding?

sorry for not reading the whole thread, perhaps you were bashed quite a few times already, but before you'll post another such a crap thread filled with lies, fantasies and fake propaganda, educate yourself. perhaps then you won't look like a kid that pretends to know something while not knowing anything and willing to show up as someone smart in front of everyone else.

you sound like you got up on the wrong side of the bed,
so ill give you a chance to tone it down a bit before i correct you.

you dont know me or my contribution to the feild of open source royalty free protocols and codecs,
if you did you would not be so quick to shoot your mouth off,

xploder

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Chrome 27, Firefox 22, IE10, And Opera Next, Benchmarked

www.tomshardware.com...

i stand by my statement, FF has a slight edge over chome ATM

xploder

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Firefox Takes the Performance Crown From Chrome

"Recent browser benchmarks are showing surprising results: in 'a geometric mean of all four performance-based categories: Wait Times, JavaScript/DOM, HTML5/CSS3, and Hardware Acceleration,' Firefox 22 'pulls off an upset, replacing the long-time performance champion Google Chrome 27 as the new speed king.' (Other browsers benchmarked were IE10, Opera 12, and Opera Next.)

news.slashdot.org...

i still love chrome for their innovative features

xploder

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Just a quick question XPLodER, when do you see this being introduced because so far I haven't seen anything new on it. Not that I have been searching so well lol.

Maybe I missed it, I don't know but I am using firefox and to be honest it is the best browser I have used yet on my newest PC.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Give this a try with v22

developer.cdn.mozilla.net...

looks like fun.

BananaBread is a 3D first person shooter that runs on the web. It takes the Cube 2: Sauerbraten engine, which is written in C++ and OpenGL, and compiles it using Emscripten into JavaScript and WebGL so that it can run in modern browsers using standards-based web APIs and without the need for plugins.

Mozilla (makers of Firefox) created this project for several reasons. First, to serve as a testcase for running a demanding 3D game in browsers: Having a working testcase lets us try out new browser features and to profile performance in order to make browsers faster. Another goal is to prove that games of this nature can run in JavaScript and WebGL, which many people are skeptical about. Finally, all the code in this project is open (and practically all the art assets), so others can learn from this effort and use this code to create their own browser games.

Quoted so othersd try Bananabread, it's badarse! It's almost exactly and responsive as doom and unreal! WOW! on my web browser non the less.

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

/rant

i have 50 tabs open in Firefox 12 .it's just fine.

50 tabs.

you must be using that lame vista/win/7/win 8

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
i design protocols and codecs, do you? and the specific type of protocol used in VP9 in very different than any other codec produced, and i know how it works do you?

as a matter of fact, yes, i've played with designing codes, much more with analysing their internals. i've spend years dealing with different compression methods, coding them, and working with audio and video codecs at work. and i know for a fact that the terminology you're using, is fundamentally wrong. protocol - transmission protocol. codec - a piece of software dealing with encoding/decoding the data being transmitted. audio/video stream compressed using particular codec may be streamable or not - that depends on the codec itself - but the codec itself has nothing to do with the protocol that will be used to transmit the data it generates - as a matter of fact, many different protocols can be used to transmit the same data.

so either post your credentials or shut up, because you lie.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
reply to post by XPLodER

Just a quick question XPLodER, when do you see this being introduced because so far I haven't seen anything new on it. Not that I have been searching so well lol.

Maybe I missed it, I don't know but I am using firefox and to be honest it is the best browser I have used yet on my newest PC.

sure here is a few days ago

Chrome for Android beta’s update indicates plug-in free video is coming

arstechnica.com...

i would think that its also being rolled out for other browsers

xploder

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

its cool all right
bring back unreal tornament

xploder

new topics