It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mozilla foundation releases fire fox 22 this will change the web forever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Swills

I don't think it's Firefox that's giving you problems. As a matter of fact, I literally have 15 tabs open right now. I think it's your computer.

It's not my PC, trust me. I have plenty of memory and, for example, Chrome handles the same amount of tabs Iike to have open with no problems at all. In fact, just google Firefox memory problems.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Are you running heavy flash on the tabs you have opened?? Because I've noticed that chrome does handle flash a bit better than fox. Sometimes much better, or I guess I should say faster, although sometimes a little more choppy.

I should note that I have not tried fox 22 yet...but am just about to check it out. So these observations might change here real soon.

edit on 25-6-2013 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
you must have a junky computer.I have had over 15 tabs at once open on firefox and never had any problems at all.I don't use anything but firefox.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Nope. I had only the minimum amount of Addons cuz FF can't handle multiple Addons & tabs. I even tried disabling all Addons & the same problems occurred. I have 64 bit Win 7 & 16 gigs of ram so my PC isn't struggling. Now I haven't used FF in a while so maybe they finally fixed their issues & you're running smooth, I dunno.

Just open up Task Manager to view how much memory FF sucks up.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by mOjOm

Nope. I had only the minimum amount of Addons cuz FF can't handle multiple Addons & tabs. I even tried disabling all Addons & the same problems occurred. I have 64 bit Win 7 & 16 gigs of ram so my PC isn't struggling. Now I haven't used FF in a while so maybe they finally fixed their issues & you're running smooth, I dunno.

Just open up Task Manager to view how much memory FF sucks up.

Damn Son!!! 16gigs of RAM...Ya, I'm guessing that memory is NOT your problem then.(also makes it clear that I am using a friggin dinosaur compared to today's standards.)

That's strange cause I run FF on systems with as little as 2gigs ram, with probably 5 or so extra plugs and multiple tabs without any problems at all.

Maybe you have Gremlins???

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Exactly, my PC is fine & I'm not the only one with these issues. I know people who have the same issues in my personal life & if you search it you'll see many more have the same issues.

When I get home tonight ill try FF again and see what's doin but I'm sure ill run into the same problems.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

i'm thinking thats more your system than firefox, i normally have open
5-8 windows with up to 15 tabs in each and have yet to have any major
issues because of it.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

reply to post by mOjOm

Exactly, my PC is fine & I'm not the only one with these issues. I know people who have the same issues in my personal life & if you search it you'll see many more have the same issues.

When I get home tonight ill try FF again and see what's doin but I'm sure ill run into the same problems.

No doubt you will. But the point is they will be YOUR problems of YOUR computer, nothing to do with Firefox per se, as other satisfied Firefox browsers here have demonstrated.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
proprietary, PROPRIETARY

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

As I've already said in the post you quoted, I'm not the only one having such issues. Now, not all users have the same issues but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and I'm the only one on the planet who is experiencing them.

kb.mozillazine.org...

For most users, Firefox doesn't use an abnormally large amount of memory. For others, however, Firefox's memory consumption is a major problem. This article discusses how to lower Firefox's memory consumption.
Firefox caches objects for future use. In addition, memory becomes fragmented as memory is repeatedly allocated and deallocated.[1] This general increase is normal.

Normal Firefox memory usage reported by Windows might be as high as 100-150 MB. These numbers will vary because Firefox is configured by default to use more memory on systems that have more memory available and less on systems with less. If you experience substantially more usage than this, there may be a problem, or you may just be viewing pages with large amounts of data.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Swills

I don't think it's Firefox that's giving you problems. As a matter of fact, I literally have 15 tabs open right now. I think it's your computer.

Yeah, I keep 14-25+ tabs open most of the time. I used to have that problem until I built a new machine with better hardware. Firefox never does that to me now. Every now and then it'll forget which tabs I had open but it always has a back up waiting there for me to click and loads my old tabs, so no problem.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

man i know right it sux how other browsers don't copy each other

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by christoph

Actually, thank god they all copied from FF so my favorite features are now common place.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I don't like it because this is run, controlled by Google it seems. I don't trust Google anymore than I trust the NSA not to spy on me.( in fact google has a track record of using data from it's users for other purposes)

So.. it seems all they are doing here is replacing voice and video apps with web apps built into a webpage and they want this to be cross platform. It's like they are trying to give Skype and Microsoft a run the their money.

Unless it's a forum such as ATS or perhaps a web based IRC client, I don't have much use for web based communications apps. With Skype I can call friends with text and video and with The awesome Bobsled I can make PC to land line and cell phone calls for free nationwide. Bobsled will surpass Skype soon when they come out with free video calling.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by micpsi

As I've already said in the post you quoted, I'm not the only one having such issues. Now, not all users have the same issues but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and I'm the only one on the planet who is experiencing them.

kb.mozillazine.org...

For most users, Firefox doesn't use an abnormally large amount of memory. For others, however, Firefox's memory consumption is a major problem. This article discusses how to lower Firefox's memory consumption.
Firefox caches objects for future use. In addition, memory becomes fragmented as memory is repeatedly allocated and deallocated.[1] This general increase is normal.

Normal Firefox memory usage reported by Windows might be as high as 100-150 MB. These numbers will vary because Firefox is configured by default to use more memory on systems that have more memory available and less on systems with less. If you experience substantially more usage than this, there may be a problem, or you may just be viewing pages with large amounts of data.
I've seen firefox memory go up to 1 gb if I have hundreds of tabs open but it's stable. I still have 7 gb more memory so 1gb for firefox isn't a problem for me. If it was I wouldn't open so many tabs.

So I'm thinking it might be your PC also.

I haven't tried version 22 yet though, I'm usually in no hurry to upgrade to the latest version because I use add-ons and it takes the add-on developers some time to catch up to the latest versions. If you upgrade before the add-ons are compatible, then you lose those add-ons.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hundreds of tabs? If you say so but I'm tired of repeating myself, it's not my PC its Firefox. That's all there is too it.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hundreds of tabs? If you say so but I'm tired of repeating myself, it's not my PC its Firefox. That's all there is too it.

It's probably part and parcel of your Firefox profile, actually. More often than not, creating a new firefox profile and then reinstalling all of your addons etc. will solve those slowdowns.

My PC has similar specs to yours (i7 gen2, 16gb RAM, SSDs, HD7970 etc.) and kicks bootay... but I've had that same problem with slowdowns. Tricky thing is, fixes work for some people, and not for others... and Mozilla have been horribly slow actually addressing this issue, which has been around for as long as I can remember.

Point being...?

If it doesn't work for you... and Chrome does? That's a pretty simple and valid solution. They're both great browsers.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

It's nice to hear from someone who isn't saying the same thing, "must be your PC cuz FF runs great here". I've done it all to try to repair FF cuz it was my favorite browser for years and years but no matter what I did the same problems persist. I actually think having so much memory is what's making FF hog so much memory which it can't handle. It's not like FF is sucking up 15gigs but it can reach well over 1 gig easy and probably cap around 2-4 gigs. Chrome is not my browser of choice but it works flawlessly and so I'm stuck with it for now but FF is the browser I want to go back to but only when it runs like it should.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry Swills is having trouble with his browser but can we please get back to XPLodER's topic?

I'd like to hear more opinions on this new stuff and it's consequences. Seems this thread is getting derailed pretty bad. ( no offense meant to anyone)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

No you're right, I was thinking the same thing but everyone just wanted to continue to let me know FF is fine and my PC isn't.

But, back on topic!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join