It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mozilla foundation releases fire fox 22 this will change the web forever

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i have been advocating for high quality free video services for the web for a while now,
i have been waiting for chrome, firefox and opera to release stable versions of the Webrtc platform.

the web has just changed in a very significant way and i would like to try to show you in advance what these changes will mean for the average user and the internet as a whole.

up till now if you wanted to video calling features, you would be required to agree to a contract and install propitiatory software into your web browser.

up till now you would have to have a friend or person to talk to that used the same propitiatory software just to be able to "call" them.

up till now the technology to V.O.I.P was either free and very low quality or had a cost and was high quality.

but now

anyone with a supported browser can use the high quality FREE and contract FREE WEBrtc (Real Time Calling) feature built into the fabric of the internet to communicate.

why will this change the web you ask?

first there were land line telephones, that changed the world because people could call people that were normally a week long trip for a letter, in a matter of seconds

the ability to communicate long distance allowed for long distance commerce to flourish

then came the internet, that changed the world because people could design web pages, and fill the web pages with documents and pictures on any and every subject they wanted. and many people put information on their pages to help others for free

NOW
we have a communications tool (in real time) that allows people to directly communicate their ideas and art and music to others without having to own a web sight.

this change comes off the back of some advances in free (royalty free) video and sound codecs, and the vision of companies that web side functionality will be as important or more important than propitiatory apps.

if anyone and every one can use this new technology with out having to download or agree to contracts,
or even have a specific type of hardware opens up the ability of real time communication to anyone with a browser.

free video is what the web has always needed for unrestricted communications that promise to lower the costs of operation and allows for customer support with video, allows for the ability to collaborate in real time on projects that can be assembled in real time.

and like the telephone changed commerce, this new web based tool holds the promise to again change the way we interact with each other and do commerce.

i imagine a free to use set top box without propitiatory hardware and software that streams video and content without costly agreements to pay for patents.

i imagine customer service where a person wanting to buy something online is able to ask for assistance and a customer services rep could be connected with the person to help answer questions in real time.

and lets not forget the cost of calls are calculated by the minute,
so using this service would cost in "data" not minutes.

call a cell phone browser from you computer for free,
call a computer from you cell phone for free

this is going to change the way people use the internet in ways even i cannot predict,
all i can say is in the years that follow, we will look back on today as the day the web changed.

permission free and royalty free streaming video has been my dream for an open and free web for a while
and could change the game for everyone with a browser

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Isn't RTC another name for those old-school rudimentary chat room programs?

+48 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I don't think it's Firefox that's giving you problems. As a matter of fact, I literally have 15 tabs open right now. I think it's your computer.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'll stick with chrome and wait until they have a suitable alternative.

Firefox went downhill long ago.

Skype is much more clear than my regular cell service, so that'll do for now.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Unless Firefox fixes its awful memory problems ill never go back to it. I like to have more than 2 tabs open & Firefox just can't handle it, always crashing and or freezing along with sllllllooooooooooowwww response times! I get so pissed when surfing the web via Firefox cuz of these problems! So they can come up with new shiny things but if it still runs like crap ill never go back!

/rant

try chrome or opera,
i know chrome is up and running on webrtc (current release or goto chome web rtc page)

this will soon be supported by mac as well so soon nearly every browser will have it

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Swills

I don't think it's Firefox that's giving you problems. As a matter of fact, I literally have 15 tabs open right now. I think it's your computer.

sounds like something more than just FF crash bug,
try updating to todays stable release 22

if that does not work try doing a CCLEANER.exe

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantriQueptidez
I'll stick with chrome and wait until they have a suitable alternative.

Firefox went downhill long ago.

Skype is much more clear than my regular cell service, so that'll do for now.

WEB rtc is as good if not better in quality,
and its not propitiatory
that means anyone with a supported browser can communicate without having shype listen in on your calls.
remember skype is in the US

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
...up till now if you wanted to video calling features, you would be required to agree to a contract and install propitiatory software into your web browser.

Thanks XPLodER -
I am just marking/flagging/etc this thread to return to when I have time to read more and explore the possibilities of returning to Firefox. I used it years ago - but found it "lacking" in numerous regards... Nevertheless - I have always been a fan of the open-source (is Mozilla still open-source?) concepts, and am hoping the new & improved product will handle my needs.
Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Meh... Old news, I've been on Firefox v24 for months and now 25, on their "nightly" build channel

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Swills

actually the problem was plugin container.exe
had the same problem swills had a few versions ago
but it's seems to be fixed as of 2or3 versions ago

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Give this a try with v22

developer.cdn.mozilla.net...

looks like fun.

BananaBread is a 3D first person shooter that runs on the web. It takes the Cube 2: Sauerbraten engine, which is written in C++ and OpenGL, and compiles it using Emscripten into JavaScript and WebGL so that it can run in modern browsers using standards-based web APIs and without the need for plugins.

Mozilla (makers of Firefox) created this project for several reasons. First, to serve as a testcase for running a demanding 3D game in browsers: Having a working testcase lets us try out new browser features and to profile performance in order to make browsers faster. Another goal is to prove that games of this nature can run in JavaScript and WebGL, which many people are skeptical about. Finally, all the code in this project is open (and practically all the art assets), so others can learn from this effort and use this code to create their own browser games.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I use Firefox & don't have problems having 20 tabs open. This calling via browser thing is interesting. Proprietary licensing makes a lot of people money. Too bad I'm not one of them.
edit on 25-6-2013 by kkrattiger because: Proprietary

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Firefox does have some memory issues, however, it sounds like your pc might also be struggling. But I still think Firefox out performs other browsers, especially with a little customizing. For the memory issues you might want to try "Memory Fox". It's a very non-invasive add on for Firefox which does work quite well for releasing memory back to the system. Anyway, here is a link if you want to read up on it. Also, both versions are free to use but do accept donations if you feel like supporting it.

Memory Fox Add-on

If you run 64-bit you'll need the pro version here:
Memory Fox Pro

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

cool

they have upgraded webgl
and added support for streaming gaming
this should open up for on demand gaming on the web

servers with video cards anyone

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

now thats inpressive

thats the best web based game play i have seen

sooo coooool

i cant wait to see battlefield or unreal tournament on the web for multi play

thanks

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Memory fox does nothing for firefox, it actually hurts performance. DO NOT use it.

www.howtogeek.com...

edit on 25-6-2013 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

maby they should try the 22 stable release first?
www.mozilla.org...

i tryed to open 10 tabs no problem here and one had 3d web gamplay running

xploder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
reply to post by mOjOm

Memory fox does nothing for firefox, it actually hurts performance. DO NOT use it.

www.howtogeek.com...

edit on 25-6-2013 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

Well, I guess you're screwed then man!! Time to upgrade, or at the very least, get more ram if your machine will take more.

Thanx for the link, btw.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Firefox plus DontTrackMe add-on FTW.... I dont know why anyone would support Chrome, Google has enough money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join