It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gardeners worldwide Rejoice! I have discovered the perfect Squirrel deterrent!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

I guess I've been lucky with the squirrels. I think if the Shihtzu ever caught one, he would definitely eat it...
reply to post by snowspirit

Funny you just made me gag here, our neighbours across the street used to have two full sized Collies and one day she let them in from the back yard and the one dog immediately barfed up a whole Squirrel but in bits and pieces...

This women is tough as nails and has raised many kids but this just put here over the top, she barfed on top of the dog barf in the kitchen while trying to clean it up.

LOL

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 25-6-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

Best thing I read today.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

In addition to this, may I suggest you get hold of a powerful blue lazer? Its not at all plesant, but it has the advantage of causing the animal a sudden, sharp pain, something which they will seek to avoid. As mentioned by other posters, squirrels are rats with better PR, but at the end of the day, rats are pretty damned smart.

Therefore, if you blast them with powerful lazers, they will likely bugger off and leave your homes infrastructure in peace, rather than nibbled chunks.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
A little cheaper but maybe as effective.....rubber snakes from the dollar store.....
place em where the squirrels run.....they look real as all get out too.....
I put a few on my boat roof to keep the gulls and pelicans off......no more poopie....

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Iwinder

In addition to this, may I suggest you get hold of a powerful blue lazer? Its not at all plesant, but it has the advantage of causing the animal a sudden, sharp pain, something which they will seek to avoid. As mentioned by other posters, squirrels are rats with better PR, but at the end of the day, rats are pretty damned smart.

Therefore, if you blast them with powerful lazers, they will likely bugger off and leave your homes infrastructure in peace, rather than nibbled chunks.

Good information as that sounds like it might be legal here in our city.......for now till the rat lovers get wind of it that is then it will be a violation of some law or other.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
A little cheaper but maybe as effective.....rubber snakes from the dollar store.....
place em where the squirrels run.....they look real as all get out too.....
I put a few on my boat roof to keep the gulls and pelicans off......no more poopie....

I am not sure if that would work with Squirrels as I have seen them eat young Squirrels and small baby birds but who knows?

Less poop is good and no poop is better, No Squirrels is the ultimate in my opinion:-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Please people, use humane ways of getting rid of the squirrels. Remember they have feelings too!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
O.K. not to sound silly but..

I built a squirrel feeder and put it on the other side of my yard..

costs about 10 bucks a month to fill it and they don't even look at my garden...

might help at least..

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Great idea baddmove! As long as they are fed and satisfied they should leave gardens alone. However, for the squirrels chewing wires and causing damage to someone's home, they should be trapped and relocated.

Years ago, my Dad was shooting squirrels with a bb gun. Being the animal lover that I am, I cried. One got stuck in the drainpipe and I had my husband take it apart so we could save the poor thing. It was just terrified and didn't move. It let me hold it in my arms like a baby until I put it in a cat carrier so that we could relocate it the next day. He ended up in a gorgeous and spacious forest.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Though I love watching the crazy antics of squirrels I can see how too many would be a problem. Just this morning I counted about 15 on my way to work. That's on one street. Left unchecked that number could quadruple in a year.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

That is hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle. Evidently your aerial hobby signals the instinctive
"Flee From Hawk" response. What Fun...Chop Chop!

S&F

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I like this idea, thought of it myself, because sometimes I use my deodorant can to spray out the window. The hissing sound scares them. Just concerned the rubber snakes would scare off the birds too, which is defeating the object. Almost like collective punishment.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Just to add. The grey squirrel came to the UK from America. It has scarred off our native cuter and friendlier red squirrel. You know the proper type of Squirrel Nutkin character. These grey squirrels come over ere and take our nuts and scare Squirrel Nutkins to death, with their aggressive and anti social behaviour.

This is not an anti American post. Just laying the blame for the cultural genocide of the red squirrel at your door.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
A good sized dog is a pretty good deterrent.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

A good sized dog,creates good sized poops which he isn't going to clean up himself.

There must be a humane way to deal with these critters without introducing birds of prey or dogs.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What's inhumane about a dog? Would rarely (if ever) catch one anyhow...but does scare them away. As for poop, fertilizer. Sure, not as good as cow or horse manure, but still....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Not necessarily.

Our dearly departed husky made friends with the squirrels.
She didn't have a mean bone in her body
...and she and they would more or less play...chasing games.
She would even bark to alert us to feed them....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It is called a 12 bore shotgun!

That is humour by the way... (don't forget i am a veterinary surgeon!!)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by Iwinder

Though I love watching the crazy antics of squirrels I can see how too many would be a problem. Just this morning I counted about 15 on my way to work. That's on one street. Left unchecked that number could quadruple in a year.

Correct you are with the above post, too many and they start eating whatever they can find including meat as stated in the fist link in my OP.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
reply to post by Iwinder

That is hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle. Evidently your aerial hobby signals the instinctive
"Flee From Hawk" response. What Fun...Chop Chop!

S&F

Yes we have some red tailed hawks that buzz them and if the can nail them and have supper right in our back yard.

I thought the same as you as they don't like large things flying at them, it was really really funny to watch the Squirrel dive for his life off of the fence.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

That is what the people across the street thought too......their dogs not only chased them but ate them:-)
The end result was warm Squirrel soup mixed with dog food and just a touch of grass for seasoning.

LOL
Regards, Iwinder

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join