Gardeners worldwide Rejoice! I have discovered the perfect Squirrel deterrent!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There is hope for us Gardener's after all, after years and years of suffering their abuse I have found the solution to at least our Squirrel problem here.

en.wikipedia.org...

We love to garden and we also happen to live in the remnants of what was once a huge Carolina Forest.
www.carolinian.org...

So we have lots of oaks and hickory trees and thus a gazillion Squirrel's and then some.

They are very damaging rodents and they fear no human, they chew wiring,chew into attics, attack freshly planted gardens, In general they are a Rat with a furry tail.

I found out years ago that in the city it is now not a good idea to pull out the "Red Rider" and place a BB up their ass, took about 10 minutes for the police to show up.

So then we went with "Have a heart" trapping and releasing but found we could not keep up with their reproduction rates which I might add are similar to Rabbits......No offense intended to any Wabbits or Rabbits posting here on ATS.

About three weeks ago I ordered a Remote Controlled Quad Copter for a potential new hobby and to keep my sanity.

www.dji-innovations.com...

I got the Phantom and just last night I was practicing in the back yard and was just getting good and flying it without taking out any of our vegetation, and there he was a big fat black one heading down our fence to our pond or veggie garden.

Lol I buzzed that sucker and did he ever spaz out he leaped off of the fence to the neighbours yard and that side is at least a 10 foot drop to pavement......Snicker this was twelve hours ago and I have not seen his scruffy arse here since.......

To all gardener's here on ATS that have a Squirrel infestation or worse this could be your answer.

To the Mods I believe I posted in the correct Forum but do what you see fit.......

I am heading out back now to do some more flight/fright time on my new Quad Copter in our new Squirrel free yard.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 25-6-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)
edit on 26-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You MUST have a LOT of time on your hands!! What about the rest who don't?

Got any miracle spray or just stick to the BB gun?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Yeah I have more time on my hands than I care for, that is why I bought the copter.......I have been disabled for over twenty years and it drives me nuts not doing the things I wish I could do......

LOL I tried the BB thing and almost ended up in jail, not my cup of tea.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
My buddy bought one of those remote helicopters. The one he bought was almost nine thousand bucks!

My neighbours have squirrels nesting inside their garage. They are getting in through a hole just under the the eaves trough. My neighbours actually set up a long stick so the young squirrels would be able to get in and out of the garage. The ceiling inside the garage is about to collapse because of all the crap and nesting material. They are dirty little creatures and cause allot of damage. Luckily I have none in my garage and if they do show up, they will not last long.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Just make a few of these.
After a while they'll stay away.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I'll probably get lynched by some for saying it, but assuming you're serious about something that works? I have something that absolutely does. It's about as 'kind' as a sticky trap for mice ....but sometimes a rodent infestation can be more than just annoying, right? Squirrels are just rats with better public relations. lol..

Anyway, I'd first heard about it on satellite radio from a host who heard it somewhere else and tried it when they got so bad a problem, it became a health issue. The "Chipper Dipper" was the name he coined it and it fits.

Get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it 60% with water and then 2 inches of coverage on top of the water with sunflower seeds. Set it below an outdoor railing or some other place where getting above to check out what's in it isn't too difficult but nothing is touching the top edge.

It looks solid, deep enough to be lethal and too far below the rim to escape. My dad was shocked to find a problem he thought was a couple doing damage at his own home had numbered 7 when he stopped and put the bucket away. The rest went elsewhere....

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Star!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I have 3 apple trees. One of them is next to the squirrel's tree. He gets those apples, and doesn't touch anything else. When I thin out the apples, I put them at the bottom of the squirrel's tree.

Last place I lived at, there was an acorn tree. I gave the squirrel all the nuts. He left alone everything else.

I've always had squirrels nearby, and never had a problem with them.
Cutest little creatures

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You could always buy a bird

and you wouldnt have to buy much food

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Isn't it strange, how sometimes you want to write a thread about something and only a day later someone posts a thread on the same issue?

We have a big problem with the squirrels on the bird feeders in our back garden. We got a sling shot, the squirrels had a matrix style ability to dodge any flying stone. I thought I'd try a super soaker, aimed from my bedroom _ The squirrel seemed to enjoy the cool burst of water like someone enjoying a cool shower on a warm day.

I imagine the squirrel will soon be using your new gadget as a toy of its own, using at as a new personal means of transport to better feeding spots in the garden.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I have 3 apple trees. One of them is next to the squirrel's tree. He gets those apples, and doesn't touch anything else. When I thin out the apples, I put them at the bottom of the squirrel's tree.

Last place I lived at, there was an acorn tree. I gave the squirrel all the nuts. He left alone everything else.

I've always had squirrels nearby, and never had a problem with them.
Cutest little creatures

Maybe for you but here we can look out back at any given moment and see at least 6 to 10 at once and that is a low ball estimate.

We had to have our wiring replaced in the garage because of their chewing on it......cost us almost $1500.00 Canadian.....We don't want to pay that again.

When cute costs money like that cute has got to go.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I imagine the squirrel will soon be using your new gadget as a toy of its own, using at as a new personal means of transport to better feeding spots in the garden.

I can easily imagine a squirrel grabbing hold and hanging off the flying gadget, letting himself off at the next feeding area

They're incredibly smart little creatures...

I have no idea why they don't bother with my gardens. Somehow they just know what they're allowed to eat

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Isn't it strange, how sometimes you want to write a thread about something and only a day later someone posts a thread on the same issue?

We have a big problem with the squirrels on the bird feeders in our back garden. We got a sling shot, the squirrels had a matrix style ability to dodge any flying stone. I thought I'd try a super soaker, aimed from my bedroom _ The squirrel seemed to enjoy the cool burst of water like someone enjoying a cool shower on a warm day.

Another thing they don't like at all (HATE) is if they are close enough just roll a pop can or beer can between your palms till it gets really crinckly and crackely and is making a god awful noise......watch them run!

we feel for you there and can relate.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
My buddy bought one of those remote helicopters. The one he bought was almost nine thousand bucks!

My neighbours have squirrels nesting inside their garage. They are getting in through a hole just under the the eaves trough. My neighbours actually set up a long stick so the young squirrels would be able to get in and out of the garage. The ceiling inside the garage is about to collapse because of all the crap and nesting material. They are dirty little creatures and cause allot of damage. Luckily I have none in my garage and if they do show up, they will not last long.

WOW 9 K for a helicopter......must be a dandy one at that.....

I am glad I do not have Neighbours like yours :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by Iwinder

Just make a few of these.
After a while they'll stay away.

LOL I have seen that before but it always makes me grin :-)

Thanks for posting that here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

We had to have our wiring replaced in the garage because of their chewing on it......cost us almost $1500.00 Canadian.....We don't want to pay that again.

When cute costs money like that cute has got to go.

Ouch. Expensive.
I've had mouse problems like that, they eat and destroy everything.
I actually had more mice in the house when I had cats, they bring them in alive as presents

Now with a Lab and a Shihtzu, I have less rodents of any kind.
Shihtzus are little hunters. They're not quite dogs, lol, kind of cat like in some ways. Weird little creatures.

I guess I've been lucky with the squirrels.
I think if the Shihtzu ever caught one, he would definitely eat it...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'll probably get lynched by some for saying it, but assuming you're serious about something that works? I have something that absolutely does. It's about as 'kind' as a sticky trap for mice ....but sometimes a rodent infestation can be more than just annoying, right? Squirrels are just rats with better public relations. lol..

Anyway, I'd first heard about it on satellite radio from a host who heard it somewhere else and tried it when they got so bad a problem, it became a health issue. The "Chipper Dipper" was the name he coined it and it fits.

Get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it 60% with water and then 2 inches of coverage on top of the water with sunflower seeds. Set it below an outdoor railing or some other place where getting above to check out what's in it isn't too difficult but nothing is touching the top edge.

It looks solid, deep enough to be lethal and too far below the rim to escape. My dad was shocked to find a problem he thought was a couple doing damage at his own home had numbered 7 when he stopped and put the bucket away. The rest went elsewhere....

Good post, I won't lynch you but my city would for sure if you lived here.....one visit from the police and I had to find other ways to deal with them.

As far as your dad's situation goes I mentioned in the OP they breed like Wabbitts and do so at least 3 times a summer here and we have very short summers.......100 days tops.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I guess I've been lucky with the squirrels. I think if the Shihtzu ever caught one, he would definitely eat it...
reply to post by snowspirit

Funny you just made me gag here, our neighbours across the street used to have two full sized Collies and one day she let them in from the back yard and the one dog immediately barfed up a whole Squirrel but in bits and pieces...

This women is tough as nails and has raised many kids but this just put here over the top, she barfed on top of the dog barf in the kitchen while trying to clean it up.

LOL

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I hate to break this to you but while you rejoice, that squirrel is drawing up the tactical counter attack with his buddies.

Get some hard liquor. You'll need it when they ridicule you and your toys, traps, scare tactics etc.

Imagine if you will, a peanut feeder that is nailed shut, below the fence-line and backed by 3/4 plywood. A few visible pellet holes are arrayed in the barely detectable outline of a yard monkey. They are coming down with lead poisoning just about as fast as they can multiply. Though it may seem cruel, it's better than paying for the damage they do.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass
I hate to break this to you but while you rejoice, that squirrel is drawing up the tactical counter attack with his buddies.

Get some hard liquor. You'll need it when they ridicule you and your toys, traps, scare tactics etc.

Imagine if you will, a peanut feeder that is nailed shut, below the fence-line and backed by 3/4 plywood. A few visible pellet holes are arrayed in the barely detectable outline of a yard monkey. They are coming down with lead poisoning just about as fast as they can multiply. Though it may seem cruel, it's better than paying for the damage they do.

After years of battles I could not agree more with the above post.....
Thanks for adding to this thread.
And the laughs I got got reading your post.
Regards, Iwinder

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join