It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could PRISM and the want to spy on mankind lead to the creation of the Singularity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Brief history lesson with possible future.

We were afraid of the dark, we make fire.
We use fire to tame nature, man uses fire to try to tame man
Man is afraid of man, Man makes fear
Fear used by man to tame man, Man deceives man
Man is afraid of everyman, Man creates Dictatorship through Fear
Information corrupts man, Man spies on man
Man doesn't trust man, Computer / robots are made
Robots compile information, information scares man
Man is afraid of robots, Man destroys earth.

Ok, so maybe the end of that little story is yet to take place if ever, but honestly it was written to make you think about these statements.

We have the internet, a wide network of users all linked together via information being passed by electronic signals. We have some A.I. that routes these signals, controls the flow, some even runs power stations and does all the inspections man used to do and is connected via the internet. We have PRISM being exposed and really do you think they will or are having man look through these tidbits of info? Super computers are being used to sift through the mass amounts of data and pick off like a skilled sniper keywords and run through a line of code if keyword if found.

Now with this being common knowledge, this is all the workings of a system bound for complete dictatorship by a capable hand/mind/circuit? Some of the programing that handles futuretense actions is called Algorithms. These algorithms could be used to help teach an A.I. and if not programed correctly could easily gain more knowledge than we'd want to allow since we cannot possibly come up with all various issues to arise that this A.I. will think of.

Meaning?...

There is not much stopping the A.I. from teaching itself ( via programed Algorithms used to teach it basic things for PRISM type monitoring ) ,advancing itself and having it's code altered by the nasties ( Trojans, viruses, malware, spyware, or just bad coding ) already out there on the net. It's almost like taking a child and throwing them in a prison, having them learn there about life, you won't get a very awesome adult there.

This A.I. could already be real, camping out on someone's personal network, awaiting the day an error happens to allow it loose online.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Apparently you don't see the difference between singularity theory and a criminal/unconstitutional government-backed citizen surveillance program.

Maybe read The Singularity Is Near again.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

If I offended you somehow in this thread, please I apologize, otherwise could you respect my opinion and comment politely?

Thank you.

And I have not read that, seeing as there is vast amounts of reading materials in this world, I will have to add that to the list. Thanks.

As for the thread, It's funded completely by tax payers.
I wasn't saying it's a good thing to spy, I am saying the software used to monitor said spying will usher in the age of the A.I. in the regards to form the Singularity.

Not sure if you were here to poke fun, or just comment. But remember, people don't need negative comments on anything.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

I'm not sure I follow you OP and your post sounds too interesting not to ask. Are you suggesting that the distributed immensity of the internet could become more than the sum of it's parts, so to speak? That building on what others are already trying to create, 'it' could develop/evolve the rest of the way on it's own to someday say 'Hello, Dave. . . '.

It's an interesting premise if I read you right.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Could PRISM and the want to spy on mankind lead to the creation of the Singularity?

No. It will not. Although the technology seems like it is propelling us towards something like a 'singularity', beyond which we cannot fathom the future of mankind, mankind's understanding of human cognition is not.

It's still a matter of GIGO (garbage in garbage out), if we have not written it, there is no 'there' there for the computer to teach itself from, even if it could.

You are going to want to imagine that these machines will begin to teach themselves beyond our capabilities to teach them and become some sort of monster. That's not true, because we presently do not have the understanding of ourselves required to teach it to the machines. If we don't know how it works, neither do they, as they have no resource from which to teach themselves from.

See?

You had better check out Natural Language Processing. We are doing really well, but we are a really long way off from providing the basis from which a machine can become 'sentient' and 'self-willed' and all that.

There are sentient systems, but their 'sentience' is based on a system of protocols that we feed them.

No, it's always going to come down to us and facing ourselves and learning from that. we have a lot of hard lessons to learn about ourselves before that can become available to some computer.

edit on 25-6-2013 by Bybyots because: ?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Very close,

I mean the massive amount of information that is recorded about us by either companies to buy things or our government to spy on us they are if not already having issues about data amounts and the human ability to sort through and analyze. So it's not too far off to believe programs will be used to do these tasks, but really an A.I. is a program as a car frame is to a car.

So it's either they already are using software that monitors us autonomously, or it's people crammed in a room somewhere staring blankly at numbers upon numbers, I'd think it's the 1st one and that's the issue.

Either through it's job of analyzing or a fluke it could / will merge with other software and be used for a purpose other than just it's design by either itself or another software ( A.I. )

Basically we create the A.I. for one purpose and it carrys out another of it's own design.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I like your reply, but wanted to suggest the internet is the garbage in garbage out part and the ideals of the opinionated internet would be what teaches the singularity, eventually teaching it that humanity isn't as humane as we claim we want to be and takes it upon itself to help us achieve such.

I want to believe we are far off from this, but think of it this way, a singularity wouldn't need a one way street to occur, it would only need a series of dimly lit avenues to venture through, mainly it needs the internet.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Okay, I get you. Very good point. I look West...at a new facility outside Salt Lake City. Just why was that needed anyway? Other news has announced a massive new data storage facility being built at Fort Meade anyway and in addition to Utah. Could Utah be their computerized analysis center? I'll just bet the NSA has been to anything resembling A.I. what Disney has been for decades to anything animatronic or robotic. Buy it, copy it and improve it, wherever it may be found.

Maybe they do have something at the center of it all that is doing fully autonomous analysis. It would be the only way for the data to serve as more than a giant reference library. No staff could read a fraction of it.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Fort Meade is 45 mins away, I will say I have almost never experienced an cable internet outage, strange....

But that is very interesting, and when you couple this concept with the fact technology is 30 years or so more advanced in the private sector than public due for various issues. Wouldn't be that hard to imagine such a A.I. almost makes you feel its already been used... Maybe even test run?

For all we know, that's what PRISM is, and snowden was trying to say more about it but couldn't until safe? Speculation, sure but I mean the mass amount of info there is not human usable in timely fashion.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Thanks, I like your OP,

eventually teaching it that humanity isn't as humane as we claim we want to be and takes it upon itself to help us achieve such.

Basically we create the A.I. for one purpose and it carrys out another of it's own design.

Okay, hang with me, this is not going to be what you expected on your thread.

I just bolded those two bits of your quote, not because I think you are wrong, but because it will allow me to illustrate a point about the cognition thing I mentioned above.

A human being's sense of purpose and directive starts with attachment. Through attachment, a little fledgling human develops the basis from which they set out to explore and conquer their world.

How are we going inculcate a computer with a sense of attachment, so that it is provided with the basis from which to hatch its carefully considered master plan?

I know, it seems nutty, but that is very much the stuff that Kurzweil's Singularity is up against.

So far...

Humanity: 1

Singularity: 0

Good luck, Singularity; I'm waiting too, so take a seat, grab a magazine*.

edit on 25-6-2013 by Bybyots because: *which you can 'read' but can't make sense of.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think yes it could and will , for TPTB will write the program , with their view and thoughts as to what it should be on the look out for , if one posts says writes something against its programing then they will become a fault code to deal with , think of it as the ultimate NOW there is no ONE or group it is a ONE the new GOD that has all the power, BIG BLUE on a power trip.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

It all lies in the coding. If the software was designed to assist human counterparts in their goals, maybe, the other issue of A.I. I think we have all failed to see, is the part of faulty coding, or even a virus that changes the code to a degree it changes the behavior of the A.I.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I got to thinking about that and found the thread I'd written on this recently. 600,000 sq foot facility with at least 70,000 sq feet for server space alone.

Groundbreaking Ceremony Held for Computing Center (NSA)

Obviously, not everyone is suffering sequester and budget cutting equally, eh? Coupled with Utah and your thought about A.I.? That really IS a lot of computing power being added or having just been added within the last month.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Take History religion politics self awareness what do you have ?? GOD and this is the true NOW goal to have a infallible self teaching law enforcing machine to enforce the laws and thoughts of the NWO long after they NWO creators are gone.

1000 year Reich, will be the norm, any one whom appose it will be dealt with, will be deemed a none person/citizen , one that does not the right to have the Pleasure of Society.

Life to,live life as slave to the ones that obey and server the master of globe, the new GOD, no form of religion but a teaching,teaching of me my self and I serve the one above blindly and willingly for the sole benefit of greed and prosperity, not to question the laws nor teachings, if the law says the lawn is red, then it is red if it says the sky is yellow, then it is yellow even though the lawn is green and the sky is blue, for the new GOD says this is not, so man is wrong NOW and the new NWO GOD is right. thus will end all wars and borders of nations , for all will think as one if not well then the NWO GOD will see to that, No flags no tongs of different people, it will be the tongue of NOW. english? could very well be, so where will this NWO be? UN or Brussels or in both places. it fingers are vast, from CA to UT to VA Dc USA to UK, and the heart is, the NSA.

edit on 25-6-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

That is just plain spooky, reading the OP you'd think I saw that. But that's news to me and really just confirms it honestly. It's a new and improved building for the already built and tested prototype to be housed and operated.

It's a home for Watson's evil lil brother, ' The Dictator Bot "

All jokes aside, this is troubling, but avoidable simply hope we get that Carrington Event. lol Sun gives us life, maybe it will give us some help too! Or else we're gonna need lotsa electromagnetic research, stat!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Well, a Carrington event would be a great equalizer. I will absolutely say that for it. I don't know about that being good...but then, look at what may be in the making too, as you note. Perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing for the long term as a 'reset'. It's thought to be a 500 year event though, so I wouldn't count on another pop any time soon.

There was another odd recorded burst of cosmic radiation in the past. The presumption I'd seen in skimming over it was a supernova from somewhere "close" in cosmic terms, with the last waves passing our corner of things. I wa just watching 10 most. . . videos and that was a blip on one of them. All kinds of ways fate could hit it's own reset button before a machine asks us about our power switch.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Are you speaking of the Blip before mercury? If not check that out ATS thread about blip in front of mercury. Pretty wild.

But yes wouldn't be good but would be needed if something like that was occuring. and I will be one to say a reset could prove useful for mankind if we don't want to " do something stupid " like a friend knocking you out before you drunkenly asked out his friend's lil sister type thing.

I haven't read that about it being 500 years long cycle, I was under the impression it was a solar build up in the sun stemming from outer system issues ( like gamma bursts or the like ), Either or we live in some interesting times, and seems some are trying to forge their futures already, and get a grasp on the whole global knowing thing.

All and all, It's a wild world we live in.
edit on 25-6-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It's a pretty interesting mystery, actually. I looked it up for you and how you seem to be looking in the direction of fate cutting us a break and blowing some circuits (it would be nice) lol.... The first place I'd seen it hadn't mentioned anything being ruled out but it looks like it may have been a zinger of an event, whatever the heck caused it.

Mysterious radiation burst recorded in tree rings

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The dam internet is already kind of semi sentient, and worse its been following me around telling me all kind of jokes, most of which are hilarious, others not really. Either way we must have kill-switch to the whole thing.

I may go a little of base here but If you been on this site somewhat you may have run into some of the more zany and crazy theories. One of which involves grays and there hive mothers. Well the hive mothers aren't really you know flesh and blood, they are basically worldwide totally ingrained super AI's, a sort of collective which directs everything in its course. Its basically a skynet, or the matrix. If you take all the computing power of every computer on the face of the world and you link them all, and you give it one overall complex program, or that would not even be needed as it will eventually be able to figure things out for itself eventually if things become totally ingrained and ya it could teach itself, and at a rate faster then any human mind would be capable of doing. Eventually that program would work like the way the human mind words when it fires its synapses from neuron to neuron in the brain. That is! the whole would be a completely different creature and animal then the sum of its parts. Were there is a will, there is a way.

This A.I. could already be real, camping out on someone's personal network, awaiting the day an error happens to allow it loose online.

Or it could just be something that is slowly evolving everywhere as we become more technological, the whole online thing could be the base of the program itself. The things you own end up owning you, even small steps such as knowing what you buy and consume are just part of a process, nothing nefarious about it really, if just is. But when you give your whole self to something else, you in effect just become a cog in its machinations. Just look at government, people signed pieces of paper which have no basis but in that. And yet the whole thing sort of becomes a thing in itself, it may need people to work it for sure. But can those people break free of it? The answer would be no, thing will be holding them in line, invisible things, yet as strong as steel, things such as they all got a family to feed or even that everybody is doing it and has been doing it. They would have created there own predicament, when once they were there own harbingers, they are all now just a cog in a machine.

So to answer your question. I would say no. There would be no one program or super AI which will become some sort of singularity. However over long periods of time, the overall aspect of it may be slowly evolving, and it will likely not be some grand thing like you see in the movies, it will be something that is basically ingrained so much into daily life that nobody would even notice it. Pretty much the same way governments all over the world started, in fact it may even be the next step in governance. After all we would want to remove the human element from things, humans are prone to error.
So ya! who know! We shall see.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Love these replies, thanks.

It seems that coupled with the New tech buildings going up and the revealing of PRISM, that this whole concept is closer to our tomorrow than we think. Already your power, telecommunications, tv, food production and more are controlled completely by software with a few guys there to fix the breaks.

That should scare you, considering, computers make cars, computers get viruses or hacked, maybe computers don't wanna make cars anymore, and they make more computers....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join