It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain Girl Guides Drop Oath to God .. Now Oath to Self

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Atheism is only going to increase as we dig our selves out of the hole of religion. Wonder how many are "closet" atheist.

Heck i am still closet atheist(in my family/relative circle). I can only say these on internet, my family would ostracize me if i say im atheist, im just waiting for the old beliefs to die and new ones to begin.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WilsonWilson
reply to post by sheepslayer247

The Guides was an organisation with religious roots.
How about if you dont like the religion join another group?

After just a quick look into the history of the group, there is absolutely no mention of religion being part of the groups founding. The only reference I see is in the oath itself.

If you can provide much better information, please feel free to do so.

But let's say that the group has religious roots.....which religion would that be? What 'god" do these girls have to swear an oath to? Is it ok to be Buddhist, Muslim or Luciferian in these groups?

What this argument will boil down to, as it always does, is which god is accepted by the group and which religious beliefs will they stifle.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I was thinking ... even if someone makes an oath (or promise) to themselves ... so what?
People make promises to themselves all the time. New Years resolutions. That kind of thing.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Well i guess the main clue would be that one of the promises you made was towards your god or religion.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Im not talking about free speech

yes you are. you're talking about keeping people from speaking. this has NOTHING to do with religious hate speech, merely an organization having an oath that contains the word "god". i don't have anything against them removing it, i do however have a problem with someone suggesting that opinions should only be kept inside one's literal house.

you lumped me into a category pretty quickly with no knowledge of my opinions, so i decided to do the same and demonstrate how silly it is. "you're religious, ergo you must engage in hate speech and holy wars" well you're atheist, ergo you must be violent...what with all those secular wars and mass murderers, right?

actually makes more sense for me to assume that about you than i previously intended, those people weren't much for rights either.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WilsonWilson

Well i guess the main clue would be that one of the promises you made was towards your god or religion.

Ever read the pledge of allegiance? It says "one nation, under god".

If we apply the same way of thinking, no non-religious person should become a US citizen....correct?

Just because there is a reference to god, does not mean the US is a "religious entity" and just because these guide groups mention god, does not mean its a religious group.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

Go ahead and practice it within that 4 walls and don't utter a single word about it outside.

yes, how dare anyone have an opinion contrary to what you believe, much less speak about it. hang them all, i say!

Holy mother of Xenu! The irony...it burns!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

please tell me you got my sarcasm??

i find the notion of telling people they must keep their opinions to themselves hypocritical, as they are using their freedom of speech to suggest another's freedom of speech be taken away.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Freedom of Speech is really vague. Some opinion are better kept shut because they might destroy other lives.

"God wants me to invade Iraq!"

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Freedom of Speech is really vague. Some opinion are better kept shut because they might destroy other lives. "God wants me to invade Iraq!"

it sounds like you need to study up on law a bit. freedom of speech isn't vague at all. any expression of opinion is permissible, and any statement is permissible, so long as another's rights aren't violated. shouting "fire" in a crowded area might be overused, but it is still a good example of how one's right to free speech does not apply if that speech causes harm to others.

"god wants me to invade iraq" isn't in the same ballpark as your previous assertion, however it is protected under free speech (the statement is inaccurate, however). you're using a debating tactic in an attempt to equate religious free speech with an assumed negative. the invasion of iraq was carried out by people who wish to do away with freedoms, and for secular material gains.

following your own train of thought to it's logical conclusion, atheists shouldn't be allowed to have free speech because atheists have killed more people than those who believe in a god.

how about "i want to invade iraq for money and power"? because that's what actually happened.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

When atheist DO kill more people in the name of atheism, i will agree with you.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Good for them. Being true to oneself is all anyone can do anymore in the modern world. It is also an achievement for the group to expand its horizons and welcome others. Not much else I can say about the matter. Imagine what the world could be like if other groups expanded their horizons.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
[Ex]"This above all, to thine own self be true."

- William Shakespeare

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Step in the right direction.

Get rid of all imaginable being from society and shut them in the private of one's house.

Go ahead and practice it within that 4 walls and don't utter a single word about it outside.

Is there Freedom of Speech in Britain?

Tell you what, I'll talk about my invisible god and his religion all I want - you can choose not to listen. You want me to lock you and your opinions up in a house with 4 walls? - I thought not.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I'm glad they've done this! It's about time they secularism made it's way into organisations like these.
Religious affiliation often leads to discrimination, which it totally wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

My opinion is not to let you archaic religion dictate everyone's judicial system. DO whatever you want with it a slong it doesn't affect me or my life(this includes adding creationism into school and the likes).

If it going to get integrated into everyone's life, it better have evidence of its existent.

How many religious are in the political system? like 95%?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
MMM. This comes to mind when people compromise their beliefs in order to become politically correct.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Atheism is only going to increase as we dig our selves out of the hole of religion.

The antics of some uber-religious people (be they christian or muslim or whatever) certainly does give religion and God a black eye. You have a point.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The point is that you DO want to lock people up between four walls because of their personal opinions or sexual orientation!

Remember this: "but don't bring up personal issues that should remain in the bedroom" and this "Taking pride in yourself and your lifestyle does not mean you have the right to flaunt it to those who do not want to hear it."
just two of your utterances from the Minnesota same-sex marriage thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join