It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela House: Helicopters, and Major Police Presence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I have close friends who work up the road from Mandela House (JHB, Houghton), and they just told me that the police are everywhere, and have picked up in numbers (rapidly) over the last few hours.

*Helicopters, cop cars and sirens everywhere. This is what they are telling me right now. (15.05)

Will update if i should hear anything else.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not sure if it's got anything to do with this, but:

www.news24.com...

I know the local Radio Stations here (Highveld Stereo is blaring in the office here at the moment) are reporting that there've been a lot of black helicopters flying around the sandton area today, aparrently doing practice runs for Obama's visit... Hope that helps

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Havoc40k

Could be. But, as far as i know Obama will not be visiting Mandela? The presence of police increased from about 1pm, and picked up after that (over the Houghton area) Glenhove is backed up and to Central Str where the Mandela Centre is, and of course Mandela House around the corner. This is where the activity is, in Central Street.

But, this can be a training for the Obama visit.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I read online somewhere that Mandela's health was deteriorating rapidly. Might that be a cause?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

smylee, there's been no other news other than he is still in critical condition, and there is no change in his condition. Some say he is critical, but, stable.

The family has already been at the Mandela family members gravesite More relatives visit Mandelas' gravesite They are preparing for the worst.

it is common in Xhosa custom for a family to visit a gravesite when they sense that a member might soon join the ancestors, or to speak to the ancestors to spare them for a while longer.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Thank you for clarifying. Could there be another foreign dignitary coming to visit?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Obama is coming on Friday. But he won't be seeing Mandela

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Read an article that indicated Obama may visit the family.

On Friday, before Mr Mandela's health took a downturn, Ben Rhodes, a deputy US national security adviser, said of the visit: "Ultimately, we want whatever is in the best interests of his (Mandela's) health and the peace of mind of the Mandela family. We will be in touch with them. If he has an opportunity to see the family in some capacity, that's certainly something that we may do."
Nelson Mandela: South Africa's president Jacob Zuma says Barack Obama will still meet 'Madiba'

Maybe they are prepping incase that happens?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Could very well be that he will visit him. I am going according to our news in S.A who said earlier that Obama won't be visiting Mandela. I assume it is because Mandela is in an unconscious state, or have sleeping the whole time. All the those who have been visiting him said he was asleep. Mandela's daughter said he is "at peace"

I would not rule out Obama visiting Mandela in the Pretoria hospital where Mandela is, and they just not telling us.

Obama will be in Johannesburg for two days then in Cape Town for 1 day, and maybe go on a safari for a day.

The activity i mentioned in my OP is not at the hospital or at the gravesite. It is at his private residence (Mandela House) which is in Johannesburg.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames
The activity i mentioned in my OP is not at the hospital or at the gravesite. It is at his private residence (Mandela House) which is in Johannesburg.

Maybe instead of disrupting things at the hospital, Obama will just visit the family in Johannesburg. That's what I took away from the quote: "If he has an opportunity to see the family in some capacity, that's certainly something that we may do."

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

S&F, I love threads from members that give updates like this.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Maybe the large presence of police were because of this

In their attempt to gain scoops, some media organisations have resorted to underhand tactics such as installing hidden cameras near Mr Mandela’s homes.

Source

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

The media are a nasty bunch, so that wouldn't surprise me.

I hope things settle down soon, all the press and additional police has to be stressful on the family.

top topics

join