It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

870-Megapixel Monster Camera Has 116 Sensors and Weighs 3 Tons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Hi All

Here is a link to the camera hooked up to the Subaru Telescope, the 8.2-meter flagship telescope of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan

870-Megapixel Monster Camera

The sensors

The corrector lens between sensors and telescope.

Example image when loaded click on image for full size.

Suprime-Cam captured this image of the nearby dwarf galaxy NGC 4449 (lower left) and its companion (upper right), a dwarf galaxy that has been gravitationally pulled apart into a stellar stream. It shows individual stars composing the galaxies

More images and info here Subaru Telescope enjoy

wmd_2008

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Thanks for posting this, wmd!

I was thinking about getting one of those for my personal home observatory, but eventually dismissed the idea in favor of a good DSLR of the same manufacturer ...

But seriously: I do hope this thing will help finding out more about dark matter, as this seems to be the primary goal. And it doesn't look as though the Japanese would be accepting any 'compromise' in that regard. But I'll leave it up to the more knowledgable people on this forum to discuss the details of this incredible technology!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I see your 870MP (beautiful pics!) und raise...

with a 3.200 MP camera! Source

Group picture of the central mirror.
Source

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
So in other words, I would not be using these cameras for my family photo..?

I recall reading that the primary constraint for creating larger telescopes and larger cameras is that gravity makes the construction of the internal components impractical. I believe the article I read focused primarily on telescopes and the massive reflective mirror required. These mirrors would have to become so large that its structure would not be able to support itself in earths gravity.

Thus, I believe we will see our future telescopes and cameras constructed in space, allowing us to delve in the deepest corners of space.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

As of now, we have reached a point where putting all those pieces into space is more expensive than building it on a high mountain somewhere in Chile...

Obviously, for the perfect picture of space, you would have to bring the camera into space. It is more or less only a question for money..

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
I see your 870MP (beautiful pics!) und raise...

with a 3.200 MP camera! Source

Group picture of the central mirror.
Source

Is that a CONTACT LENS I raise you this!!!!

40 mtr Class Telescope

Funding is approved

In December 2012 ESO Council fully approved the E-ELT Programme

The E-ELT is a 40-m class, fully steerable telescope, with integrated wavefront control. The optics are mounted on an altitude azimuth telescope main structure, with two massive cradles for the elevation motions and azimuth tracks. The main structure weighs approximately 2800 tonnes.

edit on 25-6-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

How many gigapixels?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Example image when loaded click on image for full size.

wmd_2008

Wow. Looking at images like this, and carefully thinking about what you're looking at really makes you feel puny... A single human - our whole planet for that matter - is nothing but a meaningless speck of dust in the astronomic universe... Looking at picture like this all day can seriously mess up your self esteem...

I wonder how long before the latest smartphone has a 870 MP camera...?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Thats one big iphone camera

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

How many gigapixels?

Gigapixels mean NOTHING in the big picture, the worlds largest gigapixel picture 320 gigapixel picture was taken using 4 Canon 7D total 18 MP each.

320GP of London

The picture you posted is the mirror here is your 3 GP sensor.

Suzanne Jacoby

with the LSST focal plane array scale model. The array's diameter is 64 cm. This mosaic will provide over 3 Gigapixels per image. The image of the moon (30 arcminutes) is placed there for scale of the Field of View

The 40 mtr telescope will gather way more light and will have better optical properties than the mirror you linked to, what ever camera gets attached the pictures will be stunning.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The picture of another galaxy took so long to load on broadband it reminded me of downloading xxx pictures on dialup.. What nostalgia!!

new topics

top topics

join