It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help diagnosing problem wirth printer/computer.......even though it's been fine for over 2 yrs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Okay, I have a Canon Pixma MP560 printer that I've had for over 2 yrs. that I run wireless to my router.
My Gateway computer [Vista] I've had since 2009 that has had the same antivirus since I bought it.

Well, I've never had a problem with my printer up until April.
I kept getting a message for 'Driver not installed properly'.
So after messing around with it and the diagnose and repair didn't show any thing wrong, I uninstalled every thing and downloaded the latest software since I couldn't find my original disc.
It kept giving me the same message and the MP Driver I downloaded about 4 times to no avail.

I e-mailed tech support, which were quick to respond and had me check the different ports and such, uninstall it all again and some other off the wall stuff that I have never messed with and finally they told me to call Canon Support since they weren't able to fix it.

Well, I did, and talked to a nice patient lady who took her time walking me through various things until my computer froze up and since I didn't want to tie her up, I said I would call back later.
[We were in a small town with poor internet reception]

Needless to say, with work and all, I haven't messed with it until recently when I found the original disc.

So, once again, I uninstalled EVERYTHING Canon out of the computer, restarted, and thought this is it, I'm finally going to get it fixed now.
So, I insert the disc, it goes through the wizard walk through, the printer to the router shows a good strong signal, every thing looks hunky dory on my PC .......go to print something.......NO GO.
Same error message about 'Driver not installed properly'.......Ugh

So, I've been googling to see if others have had similar problems and found some people had since Windows did some kind of update.
Could a Windows update affect my printer software??

Any suggestions/ideas??

I figured I'd ask you guys here at ATS first before I call Canon again since you guys have always come through for me before.

many thanks~
snarky

P.S. --No, my printer will not print/scan with a USB cable --

P.S.S.--Yes, I turned my antivirus off as well as Windows Defender per Canon Support--

------------------------------

ETA: On a side note, I was able to print a coupon from GIMP...... I copied/pasted it to GIMP and it printed it from there. Weird.....
edit on 24-6-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Is your PC aware that the printer is there? Can it be seen by windows?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Is your PC aware that the printer is there? Can it be seen by windows?

Yes....
It shows it under 'Printers' and I have printer 'sharing' ON

It keeps saying 'Driver not installed properly'
While 'Diagnose and Repair' shows nothing wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Just issued a command from my computer via Canon Menu on desktop to 'clean the nozzle heads' and the print out shows 'Normal', no problems there.

The computer recognized the printer then and it worked as it should.
Of course, it's not using the main drivers, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Not sure if this is relevant as your on vista. But when you install the the driver is it an exe file?
If so, before you install try right clicking it and choosing properties. Then click the Comparability tab and choose Run this program in comparability mode for....
Select an earlier operating system.

If your problem is because of a windows update that just MIGHT cure the problem,

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Then click the Comparability tab and choose Run this program in comparability mode for....

If your problem is because of a windows update that just MIGHT cure the problem,

Though I'm on a Mac, I second this approach to try.
Try this from Canon's site Check that your driver is compatible with your OS

I have a Canon MP760, and even though there's nothing wrong with it, when I upgraded my computers OS the driver's weren't recognised. Too old. Period.

Unfortunately, much more so these days, peripherals have a used-by date and if you dare not keep up then the Mac's, Microsofts, Adobes, Canons of the business world just let you hang.

Must upgrade, must buy new printer

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netties Hermit

Then click the Comparability tab and choose Run this program in comparability mode for....

Though I'm on a Mac, I second this approach to try.
Try this from Canon's site Check that your driver is compatible with your OS

I have a Canon MP760, and even though there's nothing wrong with it, when I upgraded my computers OS the driver's weren't recognised. Too old. Period.

Unfortunately, much more so these days, peripherals have a used-by date and if you dare not keep up then the Mac's, Microsofts, Adobes, Canons of the business world just let you hang.

Must upgrade, must buy new printer

Well, as far as I know, it's compatible with Vista.......supposedly that is.

[and I had it confirmed by the Canon techs when I talked to them]

Canon has a great tech support and it doesn't matter how old the device is, they don't charge you for help.
Gateway however, wants to charge $99 for help since my computer is over 1 yr. old and no warranty.
I will stick with Canon if I ever have to get a new printer.

I found an older article from 2009 that suggests using the add 'local printer' instead of add 'network printer' and it will assign it to a printer port.
Problems printing from a 64-bit Vista PC to a printer connected to an XP PC

Well, I did as it suggested and for the first time, it actually showed a preview of what I wanted printed without the 'driver not installed correctly' message and the door to the tray on the printer popped open and it started to print until I got a 'low ink' message.......bummer.
[I forgot to get some....since it hasn't been working, I blew it off]

Well, as soon as I get a chance, I'll buy some ink and give this baby a try.

**Fingers crossed**

Man what a pain in the azz this tech stuff can be.
One day every thing works fine, the next day it's WTH now???

--I'm still taking suggestions tho in case this doesn't work--

------------------------------

ETA: It actually scanned the document the Canon tech wanted me to scan for her a few weeks ago but it wouldn't......YAY !!!
Man I hope this fixed it....now I got to get some ink

edit on 25-6-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Check what version of .net framework you have. Go to uninstall and view installed updates. Installing the latest 4.5 may have caused the legacy program/driver to stop working properly. If this is the cause you may have to uninstall .net 4.5 and install 3.5 then install 4.5 that way you have both. Sometimes it's difficult to get both of these installed properly. Dotnet 3.5 includes backward compatibility all the way back to 2.0.

There is also another solution you can maybe try. Install virtual pc with a copy of xp pro. Install .net framework 3.5 and install your printers software/drivers within the virtual XP operating system and run it from there. You can then link it back to vista and use it without having to start up the actual virtual XP. I know it sounds awful but it works.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

(post by supportphonenumber removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join