It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland opts out of joining EU

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Source

Iceland has withdrawn its bid to join the European Union, announced its foreign minister Gunnar Bragi Sveinsson.

Three weeks after being installed in his position by the newly elected Icelandic government, the foreign minister said that “this is how democracy works”. He explained that the new coalition government in Iceland was against the idea of joining the EU at present.

Sveinsson, who was on his first foreign visit since being appointed, said that the trip’s main purpose was to inform the European Commission that the coalition government has decided that negotiations should be put on hold for now. He added that Iceland is part of Europe and hopes to strengthen relations in other ways.

Iceland is getting things done! With their newly elected gov't and PM they are making big changes, positive changes! The newly elected gov't isn't new to Iceland's politics, in fact they were part of Iceland's economic problems just a few years back but they got their second chance and are actually bringing change Icelanders can believe in! Ah change we can believe in, remember that BS line from back in 08?

Anyway, go Iceland! Getting cooler by the day! Why Snowden isn't flying there is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Good for the people of Iceland! All the EU would do is drag them down into the mud like they are. I'm glad the newly elected government is abiding by the wishes of the people!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

come to mother rusia..come..just like snowden ahah..go iceland!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Think I might go live in Iceland.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Awesome.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am glad that Iceland is getting out of the fake economic ratrace. The problems they had exist all over Europe. Why join right back into the lie. It is better to be medium low income, working, and honest than in a game of power struggle and deceit. I wonder if people even realize how deceitful this world is.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yep good for iceland more people need to follow suit in the EU, and the American Union,

Enough of one goes down they all do.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Im moving to iceland.

Their country seems to be more free- and their govt seems to represent the people more so than they do here in the states.

Watch out iceland-- You may get an increase of Immigrants from america applying for citizenship.
Dont worry- the ones that come to your country would be the smart ones of the nation.

Good For Iceland.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Great news Swills! Thank you for the best news all year.
If I could properly paraphrase, they're rapidly exhibiting all the
characteristics of "an island of sanity in a sea of madness".
Make that a whole planet.

I just hope the world watches for subterfuge against them,
or attempts of it.
I am sure there's an upset stomach or two
over this; and I remember all too well what Sir Winston's
memoirs on Germany explained about their "funny money
rebellion", and the political reprisal against them for it.

In a nutcase, Hitler DID have to go.. but Germany also
had to be severely punished for their defiance of TPTB.
They are visibly still paying for it almost 80 years later.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I hate to burst your bubble... negotations with the EU have been postponed. They WILL continue if the nation agrees to hear the EU out, following a national referendum.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Why Snowden isn't flying there is beyond me.

Iceland is a very tiny country, it has a vast nature but very small population so it would be very easy to pick up someone's tracks if needed.
It's not the best place to seek a hideout, especially not from all the "intelligence" agencies.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Iceland might not be so bad - they sure seem to have picked up their game.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

Probably easier getting him from Ecuador than Iceland, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is how freedom and democracy work in action.
It'll be interesting to see what form of pressure Brussels enact to try and force a u-turn, I doubt very much they'll just leave it as it is much like Ireland who were forced into a re-count and then an entirely new poll until the EU had the result that they wanted. I hope the people of Iceland resist.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

They wont stop trying to destroy Iceland.

They're still fuming over Iceland's refusal to submit to this ponzi scheme known as debt based central banking.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I agree. The EU is trying to strong arm any country that doesn't join them and agree to submit to their authority. I wonder how long it will be before the EU starts pressuring it's member countries to stop trade with Iceland?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
nice one iceland
who would want to join the e.u with all the stupid red tape and politicians who are above the law

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by derfreebie
reply to post by Swills

Great news Swills! Thank you for the best news all year.
If I could properly paraphrase, they're rapidly exhibiting all the
characteristics of "an island of sanity in a sea of madness".
Make that a whole planet.

I just hope the world watches for subterfuge against them,
or attempts of it.
I am sure there's an upset stomach or two
over this; and I remember all too well what Sir Winston's
memoirs on Germany explained about their "funny money
rebellion", and the political reprisal against them for it.

In a nutcase, Hitler DID have to go.. but Germany also
had to be severely punished for their defiance of TPTB.
They are visibly still paying for it almost 80 years later.

The EU's strategy will be to offer development funds, research programs,
opt-out clauses, whatever goodies the people will want to hear. Then once
the entire country is signed up, all the diktats start raiing down.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In the real world.

Iceland applied to join the EU and not the other way around. The EU is not forcing Iceland to join them! On economic terms the fact that Iceland has withdrawn the application has no real impact to the EU.

There’s a history here, with Iceland swinging over the last couple of decades. However, Iceland is part of several EU agreements and is highly dependent on the EU for trade, so at the end of the day Iceland will always gravitate towards the EU.

I am no fan of the EU, by the way. I also think that the Icelandic banks were out of control and the Icelandic authorities failed to control them.

Regards

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The elves probably put the kabosh on it. Those crazy elves.

<<   2 >>

join