It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What potential poisons are we allowing our children to consume... or be given?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Aspartame is a molecule similar to asparagaine that is wound improperly, it is an attractant. It supposedly has no calories because our body does not take it apart so it is supposedly no calorie. The problem is it can be a neuro depressant if over consumed, similar to the doping effects for my epilepsy I need from asparagaines. Aspartame is a dope, that is why it is approved. Seems that anything that suppresses our intellect is allowed to exist without regulations. I can use a can of diet soda in an emergency to stop a TLE from happening, but it is a quick short term solution, the bound slowly absorbed actions of cooked asparagus or cabbage last a couple of days.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

As always, you make intelligent posts I look forward to reading.

I wonder if aspartame contributes to diet soda addiction?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You are not in any way boring. You are exactly who we do need to hear from, because you have progressed to the point of recognizing the combinations of additives and how they can lead to addiction, auto immune problems and more.

Rickymouse, please do contribute. If I may give a suggestion, choose a substance or blend of substances and share what you know. Provide links to other articles if you can. The choices are vast, just dig in.

If nothing else, I WANT TO KNOW. Hopefully, more people will become aware.

Thank you.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

If we could scale back the portions and start adding more organic fruits and vegetables the problem wouldn't be as bad.

And it's funny, too...I wonder if these researchers eat what they write about?

edit on 26-6-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

I think it is evident that those at the top of the chain recognize the dangers and their diets reflect it. Even our President and his family eat organic, and their food when they travel is acquired before hand. I don't think that the original researchers necessarily know about the extended side effects in the beginning. But I guarantee you , if they are worth their salt, they will recognize the repercussions when they realize what those things are being use for.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Aspartame is a molecule similar to asparagaine that is wound improperly, it is an attractant. It supposedly has no calories because our body does not take it apart so it is supposedly no calorie. The problem is it can be a neuro depressant if over consumed, similar to the doping effects for my epilepsy I need from asparagaines. Aspartame is a dope, that is why it is approved. Seems that anything that suppresses our intellect is allowed to exist without regulations. I can use a can of diet soda in an emergency to stop a TLE from happening, but it is a quick short term solution, the bound slowly absorbed actions of cooked asparagus or cabbage last a couple of days.

I find it amazing that the natural remedies of cabbage and asparagus are not promoted more. It is too easy and too profitable to sell, market and use the damaging chemical bonds.

Keep it coming, rickymouse.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That would make perfect sense. It is also toxic.

www.ehow.com...

Neurological Symptoms

There are many other symptoms and conditions listed in this brief article. It is only a beginning point for research.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
One of my big shocks came in an unabridged audio book I'd listened to probably 10+ years ago. It was during a time my company all but had me living in the Northeast for short runs across Jersey, PA and into Mass, so it hit home hard.

A fair portion of Southern New Jersey industry that one sees heading north up I-95 and which look like Oil Refineries (I'd always assumed it was) are actually the world center for artificial coloring, flavoring and related efforts. In other words.... Giant chemical plants to make the popsicle the right shade of red or the Orange Juice taste just right.

That kinda made me a fatalist on food in some ways on the spot. Look at any label from a store bought food item. It's there in one of the above types.

Chemicals....it's what's for dinner! ...and breakfast .. and lunch.. and popcorn at the movies .. and...

"Better Living through Chemistry" Monsanto circa 1950s

Need more be said.
edit on 26-6-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
My favorite - additive - is Flouride. Added to our water to keep our teeth healthy.

History: Nazis developed to use in prision camps to help subdue the inmates - lovely. Never forget IG Farben (they also made my favorite pencil - the Blackwing 602 - or the lead formula) (Big controversy whether they did or not - you decide).

Only one trial is referenced for it's effectivity and that was with 'naturally occuring' flouride not the manufactured and added variety.

www.cheeseslave.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

Fluoridation is the greatest case of scientific fraud of this century.”
- Robert Carlton, Ph.D, former EPA scientist, 1992; Source
“Fluoridation … it is the greatest fraud that has ever been perpetrated and it has been perpetrated on more people than any other fraud has.”
Professor Albert Schatz, Ph.D. (Microbiology), Discoverer of streptomycin and Nobel Prize Winner Source
“I am appalled at the prospect of using water as a vehicle for drugs. Fluoride is a corrosive poison that will produce serious effects on a long range basis. Any attempt to use water this way is deplorable.”
Dr. Charles Gordon Heyd, Past President of the American Medical Association Source
“I am opposed to the mind control of soldiers by the fluoridation of water on military bases.”
- James Vincent Forrestal, first secretary of defense of U. S. Source

www.fourwinds10.net...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

"Better Living through Chemistry" Monsanto circa 1950s

Need more be said.
edit on 26-6-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

There is always more to be said.

www.sciencedirect.com...
A little study on Roundup and GMO corn.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

www.cheeseslave.com...

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) lists fluoride among about 100 chemicals for which there is “substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity.” Experiments on animals reveal that fluoride accumulates in the brain and alters mental behavior (Mullenix 1995). There have been over 100 animal experiments showing that fluoride damages the brain and impacts learning and behavior.

www.naturalnews.com...

And the American Dental Association (ADA) has known that fluoride exposure causes dental fluorosis since at least 2006, but the group has done nothing to warn the 200 million Americans that live in communities with fluoridated water to avoid its use in babies and infants. Many dentists still recommend that children and adults not only drink fluoridated water, but even advise parents to add fluoride drops to their children's drinking water if the family lives in unfluoridated areas or drinks private well water.

Folks, read the links above, and consider all of the things we and our families consume containing fluoride. Review all of the toxic effects. Follow up and review how much we do not need it for healthy teeth. WHY is it in our water when many countries of the world refuse it?

BT
edit on 26-6-2013 by BearTruth because: added content

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

I read that article the other day and agree that that is scary stuff.

Some of my family's favorite things to eat and drink are now banned from my house.

Yoplait was the hardest to give up. Both my children and I miss yogurt I have looked at other brands and they all contain asparteme, artificial colors and the like. Found one brand Chobani I think but we don't care for it, very sour. So a product that is termed as "healthy" was banned from my house because it has cancer causing propterties....go figure.

I will have to explain to my daughter (a huge froot loops fan) that it will not be brought into our house anymore either.

It's really just been this past year that i've been finding out about the poisons that are being put unknowingly into my families mouths.

I don't even want to look at labels anymore because by the time we get through everything we will have very little that's nutritious to consume.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I know how difficult it is. Sodas were the hardest for my kids. Once my daughter was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance, though, it was a no brainer.

I think the solution to many of these food issues, is literally to go back to the source of what we eat which is the actual natural foods. Make your own tomato sauces and ketchups, make your own salad dressings with olive oil and vinegar. Learn how to prepare and bake your bread. And, of course, the one I need to learn, make your own pasta.

We can extend it even further by buying organic dairy and meats. They cost 2-3 times more but when you factor what the long term costs are for the other stuff, it doesn't seem so expensive.

We can do it. They want us to believe that we HAVE TO HAVE their conveniently packaged products filled with addictive damaging ingredients, but the truth is less than 100 years ago, our ancestors made do with the bare essentials and herbs. We can too. We just have to relearn how.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. I will add this to my list. We as a family try to limit chemicals as much as possible. Aspartame, flouride, high fructose corn, acrylamite, canola, caramel and food colorings, sodium laurel sulfate, aluminum,teflon,BPA from plastics,Ethylene Glycol and others. Also to consider is the chemicals and pesticides on your fruits and vegetables. We try to eat home grown and from a list of fruits and vegetables with the least amounts of pesticides to limit as much as we can the exposure to chemicals.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

As always, you make intelligent posts I look forward to reading.

I'm not sure about that. If the chemistry of the body changes because of the introduction of a higher concentration of a chemical, it is probable that it could get all messed up from withdrawal of that chemical for a couple of weeks. I don't know if over-consumption of Aspartame would positively create any long term effects in most people but excessive long term use of anything can cause long term problems. I only read about thirty articles on aspartame, since I don't like the taste and none of my kids use it I was not too concerned. I did research which medicines had it in them, which there are a dozen or so, and tried to find what good points it has if utilized as a medicine. The bad effects seem to dwarf any long term effects pretty much on all applications I researched. Not a good medicine except when used occasionally short term. It seems to be reduced to a free glutamate by the body and that can cause problems with moodiness. A little won't hurt us, trouble is they seem to put it into so many products nowadays.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Interesting what you said about Chobani yogurt, as I have started buying this brand, too. It is sour (that's what I like about it) and it tastes good when you add pecans, almonds and some fruit but I found that my body reacts to it in a not-so-positive way ( actually in an embarrassing way, lol!) I haven't been eating it lately.

I guess it's just fruit bowl and some natural peanut butter on whole grain toast for me in the mornings from now on.

You know, I know we are talking about human consumption of chemicals but one of my biggest pet peeves is chemicals in pet food! I read the labels MUCH MORE on pet food than I do for myself.
edit on 26-6-2013 by texasgirl because: punctuation error

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Time for the next item on my list, Brominated Vegetable Oil. This substance is one that many don't hear about. Yet it is one that many consume daily. It is in many popular citrus soda's in the United States, although it has been banned in many other countries. Would you like to know why? Well, lets investigate.

en.wikipedia.org...

Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) is vegetable oil that has had atoms of the element bromine bonded to it. Brominated vegetable oil is used to stabilize citrus-flavored soft drinks. Its high density helps the droplets of natural fat-soluble citrus flavors stay suspended in the drink. BVO has been used by the soft drink industry since 1931, generally at a level of about 8 ppm.

Ok, that sounds reasonable enough. But, just what is this bromine?

en.wikipedia.org...

Elemental bromine is a fuming red-brown liquid at room temperature, corrosive and toxic, with properties between those of chlorine and iodine. Free bromine does not occur in nature, but occurs as colorless soluble crystalline mineral halide salts, analogous to table salt.

Well that sounds less ok. What does that mean for us, people?

Bromine has no essential function in mammals... As a pharmaceutical, the simple bromide ion, Br–, has inhibitory effects on the central nervous system, and bromide salts were once a major medical sedative, before being replaced by shorter-acting drugs. They retain niche uses as antiepileptics.

Ok, so it reacts to our central nervous systems, acting as a major medical sedative and antiepileptics. So you can't categorize this as an inert substance. It definitely has an interactive effect on the human body. Well, so lets see, is it toxic?

Toxicity. Long-term use of potassium bromide (or any bromide salt) can lead to bromism. This state of central nervous system depression causes the moderate toxicity of bromide in multi-gram doses for humans and other mammals. The very long half-life of bromide ion in the body (~12 days) also contributes to toxicity from bromide build-up in body fluids. Bromide ingestion may also cause a skin eruption resembling acne.

Yes, it is toxic to us. And can cause harmful side effects. So goodness, why on earth is it in anything that we would consume? What are the symptoms of bromism?

The most important health effects that can be caused by bromine-containing organic contaminants are malfunctioning of the nervous system and disturbances in genetic materials.

Through food and drinking water humans absorb high doses of inorganic bromines. These bromines can damage the nervous system and the thyroid gland.

Read more: www.lenntech.com...

Now in defense of those who put BVO into their consumable products, I must tell you that there are Organic Bromines in nature which can contaminate food supplies, and in fact have led to the destruction of cattle animals because they were contaminated with it. This was to keep it out of the food supply of the humans. Does that not lead us to ponder... "Why would anyone knowingly put inorganic bromine compounds into our food supply?"

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TamtammyMacx

You are doing well. I always try to learn as much as I can, because I want to do the best I can with my family.

This whole thread is dedicated to trying to improve the health of my family and anyone else who is interested, and because I don't know everything, I invite others who have come across problematic items to share their knowledge also.

BT

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I do the same thing with my pet food. It is almost impossible in my area to find good quality food. All the dog foods, even the high priced brands are mostly corn. I have found one, that is a more healthy formulation.

Cat foods are even worse.

But, we have to do what we can. Our pets are family members too.

BT

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If god (nature, the planet, whatever) didn't make it, I won't eat it... That's my rule of thumb.

If you're looking for healthy snacks, I suggest making your own. Sweet potato chips with lemon and dill baked in the oven are one of my faves.

At a regular grocery store, there's not much for sale without preservatives unless you're shopping in the produce section. (And even then...)

Farmers' markets, in the summertime, are a gold mine. You can get lots of fresh, local, organic food, and healthy treats (there's a gluten-free baker who visits the markets around here) for half the price of what you'd pay at a Whole Foods, or even less. I would highly suggest checking out the closest market!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by manicminxx

I agree 100%.

The Farmer's Markets are great places to shop. Their produce is locally grown, with more and more organically, or at least more naturally grown foods.

BT

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join