It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Cops...DO something about the bad ones or accept the broad brush.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The rest is what is in a current filing of a case just submitted to the courts....

In other words there has been no conviction. How does that justify, "Good Cops...DO something about the bad ones or accept the broad brush"? Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to LEO's?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

No, no conviction. It's a Civil Rights suit and in looking up the law firm mentioned, they are a civil rights firm (and personal injury and ..well, everyone has to make a living right? lol) Anyway... I read back over it and since we're simply looking at the facts which are literally court record, it seems fair to speculate.

I see a few data points which either exist or they don't and if they don't, then the case is shot anyway as having no basis. If they do exist, then the rest becomes very questionable for the cops, I'd say.

The first is when the cop called him back to meet the following day. Did the call happen? Easy enough to check. As we ..ahem..suddenly have discovered, eh? This is less than a year old.

Then we have when his phone should have gone into that station house. Did it when claimed?

His attorney claims he made a call out, during the interrogation, asking a friend for help. Did that call actually take place? Again, should be simple enough to prove. Even my cell provider has 12 months back for dialed/received called that I can see myself. Not to mention the friend of course.

If that call happened. Then the whole 'He wanted an attorney' issue becomes a whole lot more credible, I'm thinking ...

Then the last call after the aggressive interrogation, actually setting up this other guy. Did that call happen as claimed and from inside the station? How much time elapsed across the whole period?

It sounds like a lot to easily nail down or be sure of before filing at this stage. Where the calls are made is just a tower code and antenna ID for direction of course.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

No, no conviction. It's a Civil Rights suit and in looking up the law firm mentioned, they are a civil rights firm (and personal injury and ..well, everyone has to make a living right? lol) Anyway... I read back over it and since we're simply looking at the facts which are literally court record, it seems fair to speculate.

To whom does it seem "fair" to speculate? That sounds like opinion again. I sure wouldn't want anyone like this to speculate on me. Especially if they have NO FACTS!

I see a few data points which either exist or they don't and if they don't, then the case is shot anyway as having no basis. If they do exist, then the rest becomes very questionable for the cops, I'd say.

Oh, btw, I excised the rest as irrelevant. Obfuscation.

Something exists or it doesn't but we are still maintaining "Bad cops", without trial and the rest should be slandered as well because....well I can't figure that one out.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Watching the video you posted, sorry didn't watch it all, just couldn't, but what I want to know is how the hell anyone can just stand there watching that? That guy would have had a problem out of me pretty damn quick in the application of a fist to the throat if I'd witnessed it.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Though I agree with what you're saying, it seems to me like you don't think there are bad cops, I could be wrong, correct me if I am. However, "Bad Cops" have become so common in this day and age that it's nearly accepted.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

Though I agree with what you're saying, it seems to me like you don't think there are bad cops, I could be wrong, correct me if I am.

Oh hell no. There's bad cops. Dealt with them.

However, "Bad Cops" have become so common in this day and age that it's nearly accepted.

That's the problem. If I was a cop I'd be half fricken paranoid too with today's attitudes towards LEO's.

ETA: I meant the "perception" of bad cops.
edit on 24-6-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
LEOs are a lot like gang members. I've known a few of both, and when alone they are for the most part pretty decent people. But once they get around more of their "own" their attitudes change. It's like they have to show that they're bad asses or something. Seems some never really outgrow peer pressure

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
require a phd to become a police officer and paythem more. problem solved

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It is my opinion that good cops tend to overlook and ignore the bad cops behavior. Instead of reporting them to Internal Affairs. Not that you can blame them. If they only get reprimanded and not fired would you want them watching your back or waiting on them in a emergency to respond. I have recently had such a really bad time with a retired sheriff deputy neighbor, Who was determined to get me injured would love to tell the story but I believe it would be off topic and take away from this post. Wouldn't want this to become a my bad cop story is worse than yours.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I was hoping when I posted that that you wouldn't take it wrong. I'm glad you didn't. That's what sucks about posting online, you can't tell if someone is serious or sarcastic.

I agree, It's half actual bad cops, and half generalization. I'm not sure how that can be fixed though. I still think the root of the problem is the actual bad cops who caused all cops to look bad. It's like when I was in the Military and people painted all of us as heartless baby-killing drones. That used to really grind my gears, still does.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
require a phd to become a police officer and paythem more. problem solved

That would definitely not work. There wouldn't be enough cops to go around then. Have you seen what it costs to get a phd these days?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That is just #ing disgusting. Seriously, reading that made my blood boil. Second cop article I read today. There was another just two weeks ago. My god. And the horror stories keep spilling out from one state to the next, so on and so forth.
I don't believe all cops are bad. But I agree that the good ones should be stepping up and trying to DO something about it. These power tripping d-bags are like rabid dogs. And we know how rabid dogs should be handled.

Seriously, it feels like it's getting worse as time goes on. Cops are becoming more corrupt and more open about it everyday.

Wish I could buy a ticket off of this rock. Place is a #ing looney bin.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

This is a broader idea with some vary important examples. This isn't about the typical pig's need to fry stuff.

This is about the slow death of integrity within the human race in these declining times. There is no glue no empathy the center cannot hold what we can rightfully say is a consensus that will lead us all to an improvement of mankind's status on this world.

There are examples of men and women in recent years blowing the whistle on morally and lawfully WRONG practices while those they are calling out let loose 2nd and 3rd party bloodhounds to lynch them to keep the abuse going.

Good cops and Bad cops operating within a Policy enforcement system that run on checks, quotas, and bonuses for arrests and not the pursuit of justice or the common good. We are being treated like cattle across the board and your putting yourself in the hypothetical shoes of a cop who should be paranoid that some militia man or gang-banger will go out of his way to kill you.

That doesn't fix a damn thing. you being afraid for "cops" doesn't do anything. In fact the problem is everyone's too damned afraid to bother wondering what were they worth, if anything, if you never stood up in the first place.

Judgement of any kind is the error in this case judgement makes inferiors and superiors and there aren't any here.

So your perspective is correct that cops are people doing a job, some do it for the right reasons they go out and protect people, and stop crime where they can do it Its a damn war out there every damn day being afraid is part of the life but it doesn't make you a bad cop its makes you human and that means we get to do a good job anyway despite the drawbacks.

These "bad" cops victim to their fears, over react and treat everyone they come across as some rabid pack of wolves out there and will taser grandma and college kids half thier size because thier so god damned small and worthless in thier own minds they dont realize they have serious mental issues and are in the wrong line of work.

Yet, they get a free pass sometimes cause they are societies garbage men.

So really. You dont think leo's should be held to a higher standard? screened out of a profession that puts them essentially "above" citizens in everyday life? especially if they cant handle grandma with as steady hand as they deal with some banger? anymore then say a good cop?

You dont think leo's should be treated more harshly then criminals when they break the law? Is being afraid or being a cop a good enough merit to stick them anywhere else then equal to the rest of us?

just curious. Cause in my observation in the world being on guard or afraid of anything doesn't give you a free pass in any light.

The system is sick it will produce villans and heros, but its the system thats the enemy.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
the source of this very questionable, looks more like court puzzle, bits and pieces of stories in court.
some one has an agenda ..

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Two of my brothers are cops and I can tell you right now, they are the good ones.

Neither of them would fight to stop corruption only report it. They would probably lose their jobs otherwise.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Wow this is an amazing story. Alwayschicago

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

To focus on the particular story loses the point of the post ... which probably would've been better with a closed and public clear example of abuse against an innocent person (take your pick).

The point is ... if you are a good, honest person serving the public; do not let crimes against humanity happen, regardless of the situation. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Each person you deal with is innocent; and though you have reasonable doubt to their innocence, part of the beauty of our justice system is to be treated equal and with respect until we have our day in court.

Recall the kid at UF getting tasered and sprayed ('don't taze me bro'). Or the countless other examples of excessive force without provocation (police shooting the back of a truck that had black ladies delivering papers instead of a white guy).

The point of the OP; without the bias of the linked particular story, is that if you are a human being with respect for your fellow humans ... arrest the offending officers. Make sure each and every one of the violators get to see the other end of the justice system. Arrest the cops that speed not on a call ... from the most minor offense to the most disgusting. Police yourselves while serving the public. If you can't be examples of the laws you enforce, and you can't enforce it equally to every citizen, cop or not; then you don't deserve your badge.

There should be no excuse that the 'job is tough' ... that just means the job is meant for the most strong in conviction of heart and mind. One that cannot be corrupted or swayed ... one that can use critical thinking in the most intense situations, and can always handle their own emotions and chemical reactions ... as to not let themselves be overwhelmed by adrenaline or ego.

I've been on the receiving end of repeated (non-physical) harassment over a few month period in my youth. I was repeatedly pulled over, searched, car searched; from everything from having a 'similar car' though the wrong color, and so was I (though they proceeded to search my car after the call on the radio said a different race and different color car), to changing a cd at the stop sign of a non-public road (trailer park exit) before I pulled on the highway, to other incidents that I dont need to ramble on about. Luckily for me, this was before the pepper spray and taser happy attitudes came about; even though I was cooperative, I did question their intent and motives when I was obviously doing no wrong.

Here is where my stories meet with the point of the OP ... I now have a 'fear' of cops. A distrust for them, probably better put. I am uncomfortable any time a patrol car is nearby ... despite my innocence and general choice to follow all traffic laws despite everyone else ignoring them (try being the only one that goes proper speed limit lol). Even though I've had many great experiences, and prior to the harrassment, had a few good acquaintances in the force, the 'bad apples' have ruined my general perception. It may never be fixed, because even though I can still meet great officers; the lingering anxiety will make me nervous and apprehensive for the rest of my life, as to whether I'll be harassed again or can trust that I can be free and in peace.

This feeling is exasperated when I drive at night or early morning, because people assume you must be doing wrong. I'm the type that likes to drive to drive, listen to music, get out of the house, feel FREEDOM; but my personal choice of expressing my freedom has been slightly tainted. I feel like I'm always under a microscope, even though I do no harm and follow the rules of the road/land. I used to try to put a finger on what changed about me, when I used to feel free to walk and drive in peace and comfort any time of the day, any day of the week ... and it comes down to fear of being harassed for just being alive and out of the house. The harassment ruined my sense of freedom and comfort in the world.

So, yes, please, good officers; do not let the bad ones ruin other people's lives. When you all treat each other as you treat the citizens, and treat the citizens like you would your neighbors and friends ... we can all have a happier healthy community.

To relate it to (retro) pop culture: We need more Andy Griffiths, less Barney Fiffs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join