It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pollution may keep the hurricanes away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Here's an interesting study from the wise men in the white lab coats just out; They've determined that man-made particles in the air results in fewer and less severe hurricanes. It makes you wonder if all the anti-pollution efforts of the past decades may have been the cause of such disasters as hurricane Sandy and Katrina.

Man-made particles lowered hurricane frequency: study

Higher levels of air pollution reduced the frequency of North Atlantic hurricanes and other tropical storms for most of the 20th century, a study said Sunday.

Adding to evidence for mankind's impact on the weather system, the probe found a link between these powerful storms and aerosols, the scientific term for specks of matter suspended in a gas.

Aerosols can occur in natural form -- as dusty volcanic plumes, clouds or fog -- but are also man-made, such as sooty particles from burning coal or oil.

The study focused on particles from North America and Europe that were generated mainly from burning fossil fuels.

"Increases in anthropogenic emissions (particularly of aerosols) through most of the last century is found to have reduced hurricane activity," co-author Ben Booth told AFP.

"The cooling impact of man-emitted aerosols may have had a more important regional impact on climate than we previous appreciated."

Conversely, the study found that measures since the 1980s to tackle pollution and improve air quality reduced levels of aerosols -- and in turn ramped up hurricane activity.

France 24

It seems, when fighting pollution and trying to save the Earth, the law of unintended consequences always rears its ugly heat to bite us on the behind. We lower the level of pollutants sent into the air and increase the hurricane cycle. Makes you wonder if there isn't some fine balance we could strike to keep the environment protected while also reducing hurricanes?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
UMM weres the logic in this? If polution is effecting storms reducing them in size. Then there should be a history of bigger and more storms the farther you go back in time .And yet the oppsite is whats being seen.

Heck even in my own life time i have watched the storms getting bigger and more of then . Up to the point of a couple years back they had 26 count them 26 named storms.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightstar

Up until recent times (after the 80's), industrialists were allowed to pump tons of pollution into the atmosphere as much as they wanted. It wasn't until the 70's and a few rivers caught fire that people figured out that dumping waste into the environment was a bad thing. For the most part, industrialists were allowed to pollute with abandon throughout the 20th century until the late 70's and 80's.

It makes sense that hurricanes have increased in your lifetime; that's the time in which most environmental controls on pollution were put into place. The study suggests that less pollution equals more and greater hurricanes.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

In honor of our litigious society, I think I will be suing the author of that article for the brain damage I received as a result of reading it... I will just leave out the part where my head slammed on my desk with considerable force.

To begin with, the study likely, isn't wrong. Aerosols do block sunlight that's why geoengineers push for this method to remedy global warming induced climate change (something they've spent 25+ years denying it's existence until of course there was a "free market solution").

It would be a fine solution if it weren't for the side effect of destroying the ozone layer, something we don't have a "free market solution" for. Destruction of the ozone layer isn't any prettier than AGW induced climate change, unless of course you like turning to ash when you step into sunlight.

The only solution (which it is probably too late for) is to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions significantly so that we stop trapping heat energy which warm the oceans which cause increase in frequency and intensity of tropical depressions, storms and hurricanes.

ETA: My negative emphasis on aerosols is based on non-natural aerosols.
edit on 24-6-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I don't think they're calling for us to actually start dumping more pollution into the atmosphere to help reduce hurricanes, they're just pointing out that reduced pollution does have some negative effects.

It makes you wonder if hurricanes were much worse before the age of industrialization?

Their theory also reminds me of the time in my youth when everyone feared that all the pollution in the air would result in a new ice age. Somewhere along the line, they decided that it would instead result in global warming. Now these guys are going back to the cooling side. I wish they would make up their minds or just admit that they have no idea of what they are doing when it comes to climate predictions.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I don't put much stock into that theory. I have been surrounded by refineries for most of my life and it hasn't done anything to keep the hurricanes at bay, or make a difference in the size and strength of them. I believe more than anything that hurricanes have a natural cycle- so many years of just one or two really big storms, so many years of several big storms, a few years of rarely a big storm. I just don't think science has been recording the seasonal patterns of hurricanes long enough to know the patterns in the longer term (hundreds of years).

I sort of equate it to living in a 100 year flood plain (which I do). If you are around for the big flood you never forget about it, but if it didn't occur in your lifetime you forget about the pattern......then your grandchildren get a shocker when it happens in their lifetime. Hurricanes have only been tracked for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things. They weren't scientifically mapping the seasonal hurricane trends long enough for us not to be surprised, as we don't know what sort of cycles were occurring even a few hundred years ago, much less say a thousand.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I posted the same thing yesterday.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No replies. (frown)
- Lost in PRISM posts and Snowden worship.
Haha.

I started to go on a little 'Global Warming' rant in my thread.
I got kinda absorbed in the subject.

__

It also says,
that when steps were taken to improve the air-quality -
an increase in Hurricane activity could be seen as well.

Basically,
I think that people can definitely contribute to Earths weather patterns, to a certain degree. (no-pun-intended)
But I retain my beliefs, that the Earth will continue to go through its cycles naturally, regardless.

It's good to be Environmentally friendly, and such.
However, man-made aerosol emissions haven't been around for 4-Billion years.
The Earth has done this before.
edit on 24-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
A very surprising study indeed!

But on further consideration, I can see how it could be accurate. In addition to the cooling effect mentioned, cloud seeding has been used for quite some time. Cloud seeding is the introduction of aerosols into the air, mainly silver iodide. The aerosol particles serve as seeds for water to condense around and lead to the formation of droplets... rain. Rain stabilizes air masses by removing the moisture from the air.

I should mention that an "aerosol" is not the same as chlorofluorocarbons released from an aerosol can... an aerosol is any particulate that can remain suspended in air... essentially any fine enough powder. Aerosol cans are called such because the material they deliver... like paint... are actually in fine powder form and suspended in the gasses inside the can. The aerosol in a spray can of paint is not the gas that pushes the paint out, it is the paint itself. All aerosols do not destroy ozone... the chlorofluorocarbons destroy ozone, and I don't think anyone is considering a return to them.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sounds right to me.

I'm not that bright, but I believe hurricanes strength are based on warmer water. One of the reasons global warming is hard to detect is because of particles from pollutants that cause global dimming.

This global dimming is fighting global warming, if you take pollutants out of the air it's gets warmer, if you take co2 out it gets colder.

During 9/11 when all flights were grounded scientists noticed that with in 24 hours the temperature went up nearly half a degree across America.

Half a degree doesn't sound like much, but the way I understood it that's huge on a global study.

Look into global dimming, I can't link things but it's very interesting.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The study may not be calling for that but so far I've seen this study cited on Breitbart, Climate Depot and Watts all sites that poo-poo AGW theory. I hope you sense the same irony I do that this study was put out by climatologists associated with the MET Office (yes the one of the false climategate scandal). I guess they only falsify data when those same sites don't like what their studies state, now they're touting how man affects climate (guess we also are only so arrogant as to assume we can affect the climate when science says we're doing so in a way that means we have to act with responsibility), simply because in their idiotic psychopathic heads it means we can pollute as much as we want... woohoo!

As you can tell, I'm beyond disgusted. I honestly hope that some good can come out this in the form that people can see the two facedness of these asshole denialists:

AGW, we have to limit our GHG emissions = Oh they're liars, they falsify data, they're religious fanatics, we can't affect climate, it's the sun, it's anything and everything but us.

Anthropogenic aerosol reduction increased hurricane frequency and intensity = We affect climate and those idiot alarmist, religious fanatics who don't falsify data and aren't liars doomed us all... quick change those liberaltard emission restrictions yesterday! Free the aerosols!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This deals with particles....not pure gasses like CO2. It is better for the atmosphere if the power plants would have a little more particulates in the emissions to tie up the CO2 than to have just the gas escaping. This subject is very controversial because of the heavy metals also mixed in with the particulates. I have no answer to this.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join