It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Flooding Death Toll Could Eclipse 1,000, Officials Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hi peeps...

I do not know if many of you are aware of the flash floods taking place recently. Europe was hit not long ago. And now India has been hit with flash floods due to an early monsoon which caught many unprepared...

The death toll from flash floods and heavy rain could reach 1,000, officials in India said on Sunday, and ramped-up rescue efforts to help thousands still stranded at high altitudes might be slowed by more bad weather.

Rescuers have recovered more than 550 bodies in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand where an early monsoon began June 15 and caught scores unprepared, Agence France-Presse said.

Torrential rains flooded the Ganges River, devastating a region popular with tourist and pilgrims known as “Land of the Gods” for its revered Hindu shrines.

Many have been stranded there without food or water for five days. “The death toll could be more than 750 – maybe around 1000,” Uttarakhand chief minister Vijay Bahuguna told AFP.

The number of casualties has already passed the 600 mark with another 40,000 people needing immediate help.

www.globalpost.com...

Apparently according to the news service this early monsoon could be the worst since the 1950s. We sure are experiencing adverse weather that has not been seen or experienced in a while. I sincerely hope that the death toll of these floods does not increase any higher. RIP to those that have died. Any much luck and best wishes to those who survived...

Peace
Fluff
edit on 24-6-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

More bodies are suspected to be found in nearby jungles, where tourists are thought to have fled after their hotels were swamped.

OMG..hope they found live..

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I hope they are all found alive..! We will not know for awhile yet how many people have died.. Hopefully they ran to the jungle and maybe climbed some trees..

join