It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Feels Hotter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ronnie6657

hotter n brighter, it used to take a whole day to skinburn i burned in two hours the other day at the creek with the little ones. ive been telling people this same thing, but they all think im a loon and smoke too much. its nice to see someone understands, how old are u ? i ask cause i want to know how many years you have to compare to this year, also a broad geographical location would help in my area it seems sunset is about 20 30 min slower than usual.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ronnie6657
Is it just me or does the sun feel hotter to the skin than usual? Even when temps are fairly cool, the sun is so intense to the skin. It isn't so much the heat as it is a noticable burning feeling on exposed skin. Anyone else feel this?

I've been saying this for a while now and everyone thinks I'm imagining things because I'm not big on being out in the sun the past few years because of eyes problems. It definitely feels more "burning" than plain old hot

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I agree with this too. The sun seems to be more intense on the skin.

I also noticed the past couple years the sun is more "white". I remember it being more yellow when I was a kid.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Now you went and did it you use a key word the NSA, CIA, & FBI
will all come on here to debunk this story

It does fell different and more white

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Phage

Well, going by their map there which shows areas at (11) and above to be 10 minutes or less to sunburn, it seems to me it ought to feel different. It sure will later, anyway. lol.

That map is on the Environmental Protection Agency site and they credit the National Weather Service for producing it daily.. The second scale is from NOAA and their UV weather center and in the data sets within that page's sub-sections on UV. Don't ask me.. I'm just going by what Government sources seem to indicate.

Thanks for this link. I got just about 10 minutes of sunlight yesterday as the rest of the day it rained. Last night noticed sunburn. II know better than to avoid sunscreen on a cloudy day but it was predicted to pour rain all day so truly thought I could skip it. I have never been burnt so quickly.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I know it feels hotter to me. I'm getting older.

The problem is probably that we are not as used to it as we once were. The whole idea is summed up in the title: "Sun Feels Hotter." It will feel hotter if one is used to cooler temperatures, just as it will seem brighter if one is used to lower light levels.

I used to work in the design department at a major construction site. Every summer, the air conditioner was running as hard as it could run, apparently in an attempt to keep drinks at 32 degrees while on the desks. At the same time, people who had to go into the field for measurements would come back crying about how hot it was. No one listened to me trying to tell them the cold inside temperatures were making it harder on them when they walked outside. It felt like I was going to die for the first hour I was outside (I worked as engineering liaison to the trades and thus spent a lot of time outside). After that first hour, I was OK until I went back to the office and froze my rear admiral off.

It really does matter what temperature you are used to. Judgement of temperature is more based on recent temperature change than on absolute temperature.

The same thing happens with the eyes. If I sit in the house all day and walk outside, it is bright as blazes. If I spend all day outside, it's not that bad. And the same with the burning easily. Exposure to the sun tends to make people less susceptible to sunburn. So if you don't get out in the sun much, you're more apt to burn easily.

If the sun were really becoming dangerous, we would see other signs, such as deformities among animals (who cannot get inside under an air conditioner). I have seen none, and have heard of none.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Spring of last year, I was in Farmington, New Mexico, where my wife and I were helping with her daughter's end-of-a-marriage garage sale. That town is higher than Carlsbad, where we live, and as everyone knows, the sun shines brighter at higher elevations. My brother has lived in Wyoming at about 7500 feet for the past 30 years, works outdoors, and looks a LOT older than me. Anyway, during the garage sale, during the middle of the day, I found that I could not stand in the sunlight for more than a few seconds, as it felt like the sunlight was drilling right through my body - it was just unbearable.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I hate air conditioning (even in humid places) since its too dramatic of a temp change in most cases. However I am looking at some research and The sun has in fact become more damaging - not because of the sun but perhaps due to a varied ozone layer. More radiation gets through clouds and to our skin than it did 10-25 years ago. Makes sense to me.

www.skincancer.org...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

I also noticed the past couple years the sun is more "white". I remember it being more yellow when I was a kid.

I read that, and stepped out of the house for a look (~8:45 am) - yup, it's white, white, white. I remember it being yellow-white too. Maybe the incandescent sun got replaced with an LED?!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well, the atmosphere IS shrinking.....

Shrinking Atmospheric Layer

Large changes in the sun's energy output may drive fluctuations in Earth's outer atmosphere. Results of a study link a recent, temporary shrinking of a high atmospheric layer with a sharp drop in the sun's ultraviolet radiation levels. Read more at: phys.org...

You also need to look for recent earth facing solar flares as they may account for some of the perceived brightness/intensity.

I noticed this effect in 2011 and through most of 2012, where I seriously thought, that sun was brighter than usual and hotter(which it was certinaly hotter outside we had some serious tempatures those summers 76 days of 100+ in a row). The only actual evidence I had was that we required new sun shades on our exterior security cameras at work due to wash out of the image. The cameras had been there for 3 years and never needed it before. (of course the age of the acrylic dome, wearing out of the camera ccd, lense diffraction are all probable causes as well) This got me to do some actual research and I didn't find much in the way of actual experimentation, besides alot of wild claims and no one even making a half assed attempt to verify any data there seems to be very little on the topic.

This kind of thing is not that hard to test, it's pretty easy to get a read out of lumens in the ambient atmosphere. This would take a long time though as you would need to collect readings for YEARS before you could arrive at any credible conclusion due to the countless factors that would effect the light level change.

Pollution, humidity, surface geology, volcanoes, etc all of these things can have dramatic effects on the preconceived light level you experience.

Personally I've found this year to be different. Usually in my area we experience cloud cover from about 4-5am until about 9-10am when the sun burns off the low level clouds and things start getting hot. This year I've found that the cloud cover is lasting closer to 11-12 on average.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

The ozone hole over the Antarctic appears to be a natural phenomena that undergoes natural cycles. The sun is much less intense at the poles and therefore does not produce as much ozone. Also, the magnetic field lines of the planet converge near the poles and allow more solar emissions into the stratosphere to disrupt the ozone cycle.

CFC's were a major problem at one time that was upsetting this natural cycle, but we have outlawed them.

Really, the telling observation is that life is still doing fine. If very much UV-C manages to get through the atmosphere, we'll definitely know it, as the entire food chain will collapse from the deadly effects. Grass will simply wither, bacteria will go extinct, and pretty soon so will everything else.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I am a huge fan of Suspicious0bservers Youtube channel. He watches space weather among other things. The following is a very well done video, explaining what he's about. He goes over the changes our solar system is going through. Our Earth's atmosphere is collapsing and our magnetic shields are weak. Not that the sun itself is necessarily stronger, but Earth has less deflection so to speak. I have a hard time explaining this, please watch the video if you can.

Extreme weather events, energetic changes, heat records are high... at least there is someone out there trying to logically make sense of it all.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
let's try to focus on things we can control.

the world is going to hell, it ain't the sun's fault.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Blame the internet, you might not be going outside as much as you once were, and less and less time means skin takes more time to get use to the sun from year to year.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

yes the sun is getting hotter!

lubbockonline.com...
edit on 25-6-2013 by nosacrificenofreedom because: >

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nosacrificenofreedom

yes the sun is getting hotter!

lubbockonline.com...
edit on 25-6-2013 by nosacrificenofreedom because: >

I wonder if there are more up to date measurements by satellites. So this shows the sun itself is hotter before adding atmospheric changes.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Here ya go.
Past three months. Pretty minor fluctuations. About 0.09% from the highest to lowest. I don't think your skin is going to notice it.

Past ten years. Shows changes due to the Solar cycle but not much of a real change:

edit on 6/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Great thread OP S+F for you squire

I also feel like the sun is hotter and whiter than it used to be. I'm one of the crowd in this thread that never used to wear sunglasses up until 5 years ago, when it started to become increasingly difficult to look up from the ground at a person talking to me, without squinting and using my hand to shield my eyes.

King
edit on 25/6/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Agree-- feels much hotter, sun is whiter. Doesn't matter if the wind is blowing or not, in direct sunlight, it feels like I'm being cooked. I used to lay out in the sun to get tan (foolish) and now I can barely stand to sit in the sun. And when I take a walk in the evening and the sun is out around 7:00 or so, it feels so hot on my skin, even if the temperature outside is "comfortable" around 60 degrees F or so.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who seems to experience this.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I don't care what the naysayers have to say. I have been saying it for a few years now that the sun is more intense. I notice a stinging sensation on my skin when I am out in it.

Now,..... 10 or 15 years ago it wasn't like that. I used to work out in it all day everyday. So yes I think it is more intense and probably higher UV levels.

Grab plenty of SPF 50 and a pair of UV sun glasses...it's our future.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join