GMO Food Toxins Linked To Anemia And Other Blood Disorders

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I have been reading every thread started on GMO's for at least a couple weeks now and there have been quite a few. At first I was really concerned about it but no one has shown any conclusive evidence showing they are harmful IMO.

This is only the second thread that I have even posted in on the subject because it seems that if you do not support the narrative or you even question the narrative that they are harmful then ad-hom attacks are sure to follow.

I will keep reading threads like this one and keep an open mind on the subject however it is getting harder to do so when they are presented in this fashion. If the study says something then present what it says I do not need wild interpretation or conjecture. In other words facts speak loudest.

So very odd that when the "real" information on gmos was coming out slowly, cutting edge really, it was understood as given, and it made sense. Then when the debate became so popular and mainstream, this tendency to question.... the original premise which was small and started the whole thing to begin with, is then being turned on itself and the blatantly wrong is being scrutinized that perhaps it is right.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Listen "bub". That you don't have the reading comprehension to understand what I said given the context of your quote shows you shouldn't be talking on this subject to begin with.

For further reading see...

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Turq1

Difference being that the Bt toxin is sprayed on the plants, and not in every cell of the plant. If it's sprayed on organic corn for example, the husk isn't obviously eaten so it wouldn't have an impact on the food. Even if sprayed on the outside of the actual food, it can be washed off unlike if it's in every cell of the plant.

That is a valid argument.....

And given the current ats climate, phage > whoever the hell you are.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Listen "bub".
That you don't have the reading comprehension
shows you shouldn't be talking on this subject to begin with.
phage > whoever the hell you are.

Ah yes, that will be the point 3 that I made earlier:

3. Replies are forthcoming with: - ad hominem attacks

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

reply to post by Turq1

Difference being that the Bt toxin is sprayed on the plants, and not in every cell of the plant. If it's sprayed on organic corn for example, the husk isn't obviously eaten so it wouldn't have an impact on the food. Even if sprayed on the outside of the actual food, it can be washed off unlike if it's in every cell of the plant.

That is a valid argument. You can wash a lot of stuff off plants. I wonder if there are studies about the uptake of "natural" Bt toxin by plants compared to that found in the edible parts of Bt GMOs.
edit on 6/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I thought the big issue with sprays, in particular glyphosate, is the surfactant also present in the solution, so it can absorb into the plant's cells easier, increasing efficacy.

Is Bt toxin the Cry gene inserted into Bt crops, and also glyphosate? I'm reading about Bt toxin sprays being used, but I don't know of any corporations selling Bt sprays since their transgenic GMO plants produce it themselves. I thought the sprays are different than the Bt cry toxins, but I could be wrong, I'm confused on this detail.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Is Bt toxin the Cry gene inserted into Bt crops, and also glyphosate?
The Bt toxin is produced by the gene which is added to the plant the "Cry" comes from the fact that the toxins are a protein which take a crystal form. Various forms of the protein target different insect pests.

Bt toxins, independant of GMOs, have been and are used extensively. Both by distributing the bacteria which produces it and by direct application of the toxin.
www.mosquitoreviews.com...
www.vegetablegardener.com...
wiki.bugwood.org...
www.biconet.com...
www.ghorganics.com...

Research has shown low, if any toxicity in animals. In the study being discussed, mice were injected with concentrations of 27 ppm, 136 ppm, or 270 ppm. These are fairly high concentrations. I'm not sure how much corn a mouse would have to eat to reach that level or if their bellies are even large enough to do so.
Research on the action of Bt toxins has shown that they are safe for animals. Safer than other insecticides.

Correction. The mice were fed preparations of the toxin at doses of 27 mg/Kg, 136 mg/Kg or 270 mg/Kg. So in human terms, that would amount to something like 2 to 20 grams of Bt toxin.
edit on 6/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Abstract from research find: insecticidal toxin found within GMO corn and soy, is found within pregnant women and their fetuses.

www.greenmedinfo.com...

Three forms of commercialized genetically modified corn demonstate significant adverse effects on the heart, adrenal glands, spleen and hematopoietic system of rats.

Abstract:A comparison of the effects of three GM corn varieties on mammalian health

www.greenmedinfo.com...

Our analysis clearly reveals for the 3 GMOs new side effects linked with GM maize consumption, which were sex- and often dose-dependent. Effects were mostly associated with the kidney and liver, the dietary detoxifying organs, although different between the 3 GMOs. Other effects were also noticed in the heart, adrenal glands, spleen and haematopoietic system. We conclude that these data highlight signs of hepatorenal toxicity, possibly due to the new pesticides specific to each GM corn. In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Philippines

Is Bt toxin the Cry gene inserted into Bt crops, and also glyphosate?
The Bt toxin is produced by the gene which is added to the plant the "Cry" comes from the fact that the toxins are a protein which take a crystal form. Various forms of the protein target different insect pests.

Bt toxins, independant of GMOs, have been and are used extensively. Both by distributing the bacteria which produces it and by direct application of the toxin.
www.mosquitoreviews.com...
www.vegetablegardener.com...
wiki.bugwood.org...
www.biconet.com...
www.ghorganics.com...

Research has shown low, if any toxicity in animals. In the study being discussed, mice were injected with concentrations of 27 ppm, 136 ppm, or 270 ppm. These are fairly high concentrations. I'm not sure how much corn a mouse would have to eat to reach that level or if their bellies are even large enough to do so.
Research on the action of Bt toxins has shown that they are safe for animals. Safer than other insecticides.

edit on 6/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Got it now, thanks for that response. I was a bit confused because it would make no sense to spray Bt bacteria on transgenic GMO plants that are engineered to produce their own Bt.

It's sold in "organic" stores as well I see, which makes sense since it's a bacteria. However, I think a spray/wettable form of Bt can be washed off and removed easier than when Bt is manipulated into the genes for the plant to produce its own Bt (and the large amount of chemicals used in commercial farming for those engineered plants). I don't think Bt in itself is a a bad thing for humans, the immune system knows how to deal with the various bacterias it encounters.

Thanks for the reply again =)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Then you'd better stay away from plants. Potatoes, celery, zucchini...they all do it.
www.fortfreedom.org...
www.hort.purdue.edu...
www.botgard.ucla.edu...
www.amnh.org...
Folks might want to stay away from that first link. Avast Antivirus reported a trojan horse at that link and wouldn't even allow me to open the site.

The last three links prove your point about natural plant pesticides.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

That's because it wasn't in EVERYTHING until the 2000s .
Corn and soy filler are in EVERYTHING ,as is high fructose corn syrup ,ALL of which are gmo .
You cannot eat a meal ,without eating a gmo ,NOW .
I dare say from the 50s to the 90s ,gmos were few and far between .
Kids are growing up on this crap ,whereas I doubt I at much of it at all growing up in the 80s

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Abstract from research find: insecticidal toxin found within GMO corn and soy, is found within pregnant women and their fetuses.

The assay method

The assay method (ELISA) used for Cry1Ab protein was not tested (validated) for its suitability to measure Cry1Ab in human blood. Other reports in the scientific literature have shown that the ELISA assay is not suitable for this purpose.

In mammals, the Cry1Ab protein is degraded in the stomach. If any fragments of the Cry1Ab protein were to pass through into the blood stream, they would be present at levels much lower than could be quantified by the assay method used in the study.

The assumption that GM foods are the source of the Cry1Ab protein

The authors do not provide any evidence that GM foods are the source of the protein. No information was gathered on the diet of any individual in the study so the assertion that the detection of Cry1Ab is linked to ingested GM food is, at best, speculative.

Several insecticidal formulations (e.g. Delfin, Dipel) contain a blend of crystallised proteins, (including Cry1Ab) and livingBtkspores that germinate into the bacterium that then produces the proteins. These formulations have been applied worldwide, including in Australia, for decades. They are applied to crops such as broccoli, cauliflower, celery, melons, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, turnip, grapes, kiwi-fruit, citrus, avocados. They are used both commercially and by home gardeners and are permitted for use on organically-certified crops.

www.foodstandards.gov.au...

Abstract:A comparison of the effects of three GM corn varieties on mammalian health
That is an analysis of data from a Monsanto study. A statistical analysis by who? Good old Seralini again. Here's what the EFSA said about that "study".

The GMO Panel considers that de Vendômois et al.: (1) make erroneous statements concerning the use of reference varieties to provide estimates of variability that allow equivalence testing to place statistically significant results into biological context as advocated by EFSA (2008, 2009a); (2) do not use the available information concerning normal background variability between animals fed with different diets, to place observed differences into biological context; (3) do not present results using their False Discovery Rate methodology in a meaningful way; (4) give no evidence to relate well known gender differences in response to diet to claims of effects due to the respective GMOs; (5) estimate statistical power based on inappropriate analyses and magnitudes of difference.

www.agbioworld.org...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Folks might want to stay away from that first link. Avast Antivirus reported a trojan horse at that link and wouldn't even allow me to open the site.

Thanks for the warning. I didn't have any trouble with it. It's a text file.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Thanks for the warning. I didn't have any trouble with it. It's a text file.
I bypassed avast to investigate. After the text file there's a hidden iframe that links to a website in greece.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

Hate to tell you this, but the traces found (they can detect incredibly tiny amounts) were probably due to organic food, not GMO anything. BT has been used widely in organic farming on all sorts of crops for decades by farmers who wish to avoid other pesticides. Somehow, "natural" is supposed to be harmless?

Also, as Phage noted quite correctly, the dose given to the mice was almost 2x to 20x the highest dose which had previously been studied. It was administered by forcing the water into the mice orally, possibly enough to have altered the chemistry in the stomach (was not discussed as a possible issue in the paper).

The paper is about all uses of BT -- including in organic farming -- not GMO specifically.

Reading over Phage's comments, he has made scientifically sound comments.

There is a slight weakness in the study other than the gastric gavage (tube into stomach) in that the analysis was not blind to treatment -- if it was, it was not mentioned in the study. Repeated studies of this nature will determine if the result is repeatable. The authors do call for additional work.

While there may be concern for possible minor effects in people if BT (sprayed in organic farming or GMO) is much more widely used, the concern in the study really is for mammals in general undergoing long term exposure.
edit on 24-6-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

. Therefore the opposition is based on opinion which results in political pressure.
edit on 6/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Again, you have provided nothing of substance.

So, the people rejecting GMO in the UK, the farmers rejecting GMO,
the beekeepers rejecting GMO is all politics?

Hardly, what it is plain and simple people dont want to eat the garbage,
it is poison! That is why Monsanto fights so hard to keep it from being labeled
here in the U.S. You do know that the EU requires GE labeling?

Thats so the people can avoid eating the crap.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Our system of agriculture is very corrupted. We are ruining the soils and introducing unnatural plants into the environment. I think that this should all be reevaluated, there is no real proven evidence that GMO is safe both for the environment and for consumption both by us and the foodchain. We cannot live without great expense without nature helping us. I am not interested in having to pollinate all the plants by hand. I think the Companies that are introducing this chemistry should be stripped of their rights and all the execs have their money taken away, without any right to legal representation. They are lowering the ability of future generations of humans to live freely, that is a crime against humanity.

This is my opinion, a right that every person in the USA has presently.
edit on 24-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

Perhaps you should read the many other studies damning GM foods, instead of appearing reiterating posts from Phage.

Just because the research isn't readily available isn't any reason for not believing in any potential or current risks. They are there. There are GM recalls, there are nations that ban GM foods.

If your research goes further than MONSANTO and EFSA websites you will find this risk is true.

ETA I have posted plenty of valid information, I won't waste my time posting continually for personal attacks from certain members that cannot see the wood for the trees. If some people choose remaining blinkered to the facts then that is their downfall. The rest of the world is able to see more sense.

edit on 24-6-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Exactly, the freedom to farm land naturally is being compromised GM foods. Such an econimic, chemical, Monsanto reliant agriculture has only shown increased use of chemicals, often toxic chemicals as well as increased lawauits seeing as Monsanto has rights to any GM food it has patents on, whether non Monsanto farmers planted it or not, ie from pollen drift, seed dispersal etc. It is contrary to Human Rights. People should stand up to this now, stop their complete control of the ecosystem NOW. The undesired impact on the biosphere can be reversed, it is best to remedy these effects sooner than later.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I completely agree with your post. Sooner the better before some unforeseen problem to our ecosystem occurs.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join