It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ECO-REVOLUTION: GMO Crops TORCHED in America

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
reply to post by Philippines

I am in the UK, I don't eat much sugar though I can taste the difference between all sorts of cane sugar, such as demerara, golden, muscovado etc and can taste the difference between sugar beet sugar and cane sugar very easily, it has a slight 'beet' taste.

We don't use HFCS much here either, and when I have tasted it it isn't nice. When eating as natural food as possible, processed foods, salt and sugar become something that is easily detectable. Most processed foods taste awful to me, too much sugar, salt, and 'plastic' ingredients.

I ate a GMO cookie once and had instant stomach ache, it was imported from the USA. I can even taste the difference between flours, Organic is much nicer and has less undesirable side effects, some flours induce stomach ache and tiredness for me, and from baking my own bread for years, have learned to trust certain brands. Whether the ones that I don't like are GMO tainted or not, remains to be seen. We don't allow GMO wheat here so it theoretically shouldn't be. Use of chlorine, bromates, and peroxides is not allowed in the European Union for bleaching flour either though Organic and ancient flours are superior in taste.

I would urge all people to eat as natural and organic as possible, for health and taste.
edit on 25-6-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

You could be right, I haven't tasted sugar beets to my knowledge. Here we grow sugarcane and use it for muscovado, "inti" (local term for sugarcane molasses tar), and "basi" which is sugarcane alcohol - it can be quite strong when aged 3-5+ years.

Glad you're doing your best to eat healthy and know what you eat =)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
I live in the central valley in california. We are the growing capital of many different fruits , vegetables and herbs. If you were to hear the adverts for all of the gm products here you might be a little more compassionate to the little farmers that just get hustled and rustled into these products. I understand ignorance should hurt a little but just a little ignorance should not kill you!

On the offset, I worked for a little while as a hydraulic engineer (pumps), spent alot of time on ranches and farms, corp owned, share-owned, and family owned. Throughout the Imperial Valley, Ca all the way to Clackamas, Oregon

Many of these farmers are D-bags. They grow the fields of food GMO, but have their own organic garden..

What this says.. TYPICAL D-BAG.. 'I'll peddle this crap to other people cause the profits are higher (more money for MY family, F everyone else), but no way will my kids eat it'.
THIS IS AS BAD AS Big-Pharma!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by FyreByrd

This is an act of arson and/or vandalism.

Ok ecovandalism is nothing new.
Better?
It's still pointless. Just like tagging stop signs is.
edit on 6/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Yes that is better, thank you. Pointless - I'm not sure. Perhaps because news of it is being blacked out but symbolic gestures are important (see "Boston Tea Party"). Tagging stop signs - that's usually just juvenile hookum - but the intent is similar - defiance (resistance) of authority.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So how does one find out which farms are supporting GMO crops?
-(I imagine you can't find that on the internet)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
I live in the central valley in california. We are the growing capital of many different fruits , vegetables and herbs. If you were to hear the adverts for all of the gm products here you might be a little more compassionate to the little farmers that just get hustled and rustled into these products. I understand ignorance should hurt a little but just a little ignorance should not kill you!

On the offset, I worked for a little while as a hydraulic engineer (pumps), spent alot of time on ranches and farms, corp owned, share-owned, and family owned. Throughout the Imperial Valley, Ca all the way to Clackamas, Oregon

Many of these farmers are D-bags. They grow the fields of food GMO, but have their own organic garden..

What this says.. TYPICAL D-BAG.. 'I'll peddle this crap to other people cause the profits are higher (more money for MY family, F everyone else), but no way will my kids eat it'.
THIS IS AS BAD AS Big-Pharma!

Yep, like everything else, its about the money and who gets the lion's share of it.

Other than the benefits to the technology companies (primarily Monsanto) and to farmers, there are few other benefits associated with Bt crops. None of the genetically modified food crops currently on the market, for example, offers benefits to consumers in terms of price, nutrition, or new products. Environmental benefits associated with reduced pesticide use, such as they are, are welcome, but are likely to be short lived due to the evolution of pest resistance (see below).
www.ucsusa.org...

Super bugs, super weeds and not even any short term benefits for the consuming public.

in 1998, the agency (EPA) granted what has come to be known as a "split registration"—allowing StarLink to be used in animal feed but not human food.57 Two years later a coalition of public-interest groups tested products on retail food shelves and found StarLink corn in taco shells. Subsequently, the unapproved engineered corn was found in many products, forcing recalls and mill closures, halts in exports, and buybacks of contaminated corn. The StarLink incident, which richly illustrated the weaknesses of the U.S. regulatory system in the post-commercialization arena,58 continues to haunt U.S. farmers, food processors, and biotech companies.(from the same article)

But the profits are so high for the producers that these recalls are just considered a cost of doing business. Never mind the human cost.

As stated in this article: "the current "don't look, don't find" approach to monitoring is likely to detect only the most dramatic, highly visible effects." Of course the low visibility effects may very well kill you over time but you'll never know how they did it. And the debunkers can go on saying no one can prove you died because of the poisons in the food you ate because you didn't die within minutes of eating it. Pretty slick.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle
As stated in this article: "the current "don't look, don't find" approach to monitoring is likely to detect only the most dramatic, highly visible effects." Of course the low visibility effects may very well kill you over time but you'll never know how they did it. And the debunkers can go on saying no one can prove you died because of the poisons in the food you ate because you didn't die within minutes of eating it. Pretty slick.

Yep, agreed. It's a mad mad mad mad mad mad world. It seems like so many people nowadays are so intent on getting as much money as possible that the ends justify the means, without a thought about their grandchildren.

With the transgenic GMO issue right now, there are no long term (20+ year) full spectrum ecological studies, and of course not human health studies. The real situation is that these transgenic GMO food products are probably in some form in about every processed food and fast food in the USA and many other countries around the world. No one has a clue what the full potential effects of eating this transgenic GMO food for a human lifetime are. No one knows what decades of spraying cocktails of chemicals on conventional monocropping will do to the full spectrum of the ecology long term, but I don't think it's good.

I don't even think people can point to a link of any biotech company, for example monsanto, with their scientific studies used for approval with various regulatory agencies. If there are any links out there specifically released from biotech companies - please link!

To complicate the issue further, there are a lot of politics involved that really muddy the waters, but the show goes on...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Anyways it kinda sickens me to see so many cheering that a field was torched. There is no way that I can condone that sort of vandalism.

There are a lot human beings in this world who I imagine would have gone to war
over the rights to that crop.

My mom taught me never to waste food. I'm going with that.
with this criminal act.
edit on 25-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

it's 2 acres , about the size of 3 football fields put together, I know not exact, but still the size isn't really that big.
Major Media isn't interested because it's a non-story kind of thing. not suppressed just not National news worthy, sorry but it's not.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

My mom taught me never to waste food. I'm going with that.

Mine too. But take mushrooms, for instance, some are good for you, some will make you crazy and some will kill you. Its good to know the difference.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

My mom taught me never to waste food. I'm going with that. with this criminal act.

Is it not possible that the law can be wrong. That the politicians and Environmental Agency have been infiltrated to such an extent that the democratic process had broken down.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Dear purplemer,

I'm really confused. Help!

Is it not possible that the law can be wrong. That the politicians and Environmental Agency have been infiltrated to such an extent that the democratic process had broken down.

What law are you talking about? The law against torching another person's property? No, I don't think it's possible that that law is wrong. Besides, even if by some wild stretch it is wrong, how does one go about changing it? By taking it to court. These guys ran away, offering no opportunity for that challenge. That does no good, unless you count hurting a farmer a good thing.

The Environmental Protection is not democratic?
Of course it's not. No department has ever been democratic. They're the President's pick, and make up their own regulations. They weren't designed to be democratic. If you don't like them, get rid of the President. (This is just a guess, but I suspect you didn't want to replace Obama if the choice was Romney. If I'm right, you got what you wanted, Romney isn't President. Happy now?)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

I don't even think people can point to a link of any biotech company, for example monsanto, with their scientific studies used for approval with various regulatory agencies. If there are any links out there specifically released from biotech companies - please link!

Studies? Are you crazy? Just hearing the FDA and the biotechs say their products are safe should be enough. They would NEVER lie to us, their word is gold.

Here's an interesting take on how GMOs were sold to the public.

If you’re feeling some moral imperative to support GMOs, that’s understandable. The biotech industry spent more than $250 million convincing you that its gene-spliced foods are the answer to the sick and starving. So don’t be embarrassed if you fell for it. Many leading US politicians have likewise been mesmerized by this long-running PR ploy. Clinton’s Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman spoke candidly to a St. Louis Post Dispatch reporter about the pro-GMO attitude embedded in the US government:

“It was almost immoral to say that it wasn’t good, because it was going to solve the problems of the human race and feed the hungry and clothe the naked. … And if you’re against it, you’re Luddites, you’re stupid. … You felt like you were almost an alien, disloyal, by trying to present an open-minded view.”

Glickman acknowledged that he too “spouted the rhetoric,” admitting, “it was written into my speeches.”

urbangardenmagazine.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Reminds me of people dumping tea into the ocean for some reason...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Yes being such an obviously correct answer to the question.
One could easily be offended by it's asking.
And I'm always against the genetic manipulation of our foods
and even more so a monopoly on that manipulation I see
as very scary.

" But when you talk about destruction " of food that some people would be
amazed to even see ? This is sustenance were talking about, GM or not
it's food.

Do you think kids like this would scoff at this crop on their table ?
Or in their bowl I should say ? Make no mistake, I despise the cancer causing
crap they want to feed us as "their" cattle. I'm with you Purp..
But if we don't keep our selves in line and watch how we react.
Keep in perspective our priorities.
We're no better to begin with. And that is what we must be.
In fact we can't afford not to be better human beings than them.
Better at living, loving, eating, providing, managing and if it comes down to it ?
And even most of all better at giving the future some hope and yes
better than they are at even dying.
Burning food with hungry people in the world is not going to suffice.
It answers nothing and will only cause bitterness.

reply to post by frazzle

What's up Frazz ?

edit on 26-6-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
The OP is Very misleading, what with the word arson, and a photo of a gas can. THE PLANTS WERE UPROOTED. The plots were less than a quarter acre. Ashland Oregon has always drawn activist, organic types of people; of course this sort of destruction is not typical. As the plants were likely, small, this may have been done by one or more people in a short time.

www.dailytidings.com.../20130621/NEWS02/306210304

The OP makes it seem like this was a violent action.

edit on 25-6-2013 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

The link you posted said the page has been removed,
but you are Right about the plants Not being "Torched"

The original news report came from the on-line news site: The Oregonian
At:www.oregonlive.com...

Genetically engineered sugar beets destroyed in southern Oregon

..The first act of what the FBI considers "economic sabotage and a violation of federal law involving damage to commercial agricultural enterprises," took place during the night of June 8, when about 1,000 sugar beet plants on one property were destroyed. Three nights later, the destruction continued on another property, where another 5,500 plants were ruined.

"It doesn't look like a vehicle was used. It looks like people entered the field and destroyed the plants by hand," said Paul Minehart, head of corporate communications in North America for Syngenta, a global agriculture corporation based in Basel, Switzerland.

Estimates for the damage were not specified but the financial losses are significant, according to FBI spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele.

A group, Oregonians for Food and Shelter, is offering a reward up to $10,000 for information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of the culprits.

See full article at:
www.oregonlive.com...

No-matter there must be a better way to make a point.
Destroying anyones property is just plain wrong.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

No-matter there must be a better way to make a point. Destroying anyones property is just plain wrong.

Two words: Branch Davidian.

Burning people to death and destroying their property is just plain wrong. Did anyone go to jail for it? No, the "crime" was blamed on the victims.

This is why there will be no revolution in this country, peaceful or otherwise. People overlook the government's crimes, but each other's far less destructive crimes? NO WAY JOSE. Bookim danl.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

NO WAY JOSE. Bookim danl.

So true. I've heard it so often said, that 911 was the beginning of the bankers war on the american people.
But the gov.'s war on US started at Waco.

And to that I have to say:

Remember the Alamo !

And Waco too !

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by wirefly

And you think it's because of GMO feed?
So do you think that large scale ranchers are experiencing the same thing? Why would they put up with it?

I wouldn't know what the large scale ranchers' motivations are. I am only familiar with our first hand knowledge.
It's pretty simple; on the feed, problems arise. Off the feed and back on grass, problems go away. Time after time. Go ahead and do what you do Phage. It's pointless to argue with you.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I think that we should charge all government officials that initiated laws protecting Monsanto and other companies selling of GMO foods with treason against the people of the USA. Since this is treason, there is no diplomatic immunity, no matter who they are. The evidence against GMOs is piling up yet they still allow the foods. It doesn't matter whether it is the roundup or the Genetically modifying that is causing the problems, they shouldn't be allowing them.

I do not support destroying farmers fields, I support getting rid of those who push products that are not proven to be safe for human consumption to be sold. The required testing to prove safety is being excluded from requirements.
edit on 23-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Well said Ricky.

But between now this minute and when these bastards are actually rounded up and thrown away in a 6X8 cell forever...i wouldn't be losing ANY sleep if activists, farmers, eco-warriors or just plain level-headed citizens decided to burn every freaking GMO crop on the face of this planet...the compensation for the farmers will be forcibly deducted from the morbidly obese bank accounts of those corps that foisted this filthy poison onto the world.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join