It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tight Rope Over the Grand Canyon. (June23) No Tether -Watch live at 8 EST)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

It will be 1,500 feet straight down on either side and 1,400 feet across to record-setting glory when daredevil Nik Wallenda steps out on a two-inch-thick steel cable stretched across a section of the Grand Canyon on Sunday night. A seventh-generation member of the famous “Flying Wallendas” family, Wallenda, 34, is attempting to become the first person to walk across the Grand Canyon on a wire during the Discovery Channel’s “Skywire Live” special starting at 8 p.m. ET.

www.today.com...

Crazy dare devils..
Action starts at 5 pacific, eight eastern

Here's a link to the Live Cams.
skywire.discovery.com... tmx=-&__utmz=17607724.1372020077.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=discovery%20channel&__utmv=-&__utmk=91745370
edit on 23-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's beyond me how anyone can persuade themselves that doing such a thing is a good idea. Here's hoping the Flying Wallenda doesn't become the FlyingThenLandingWithATerribleThump Wallenda.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

After the accident yesterday (wing walker) one has to wonder if this kind of thing is...well...smart?
Tis the silly season I guess.
Best of luck to him

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
People are watching to see if he falls.. He usually uses a tether just in case.. This time might be his last, I doubt he cares..

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
We all go sometime and I'd rather die doing what I love...

At least he's living in the moment....His moment.

Peace

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
reply to post by IvanAstikov

After the accident yesterday (wing walker) one has to wonder if this kind of thing is...well...smart?
Tis the silly season I guess.
Best of luck to him

That accident was literally right across the street from where I live.. it was a pretty horrific sight.. :/ I do hope Wallenda makes it ... I remember seeing the video of his father falling to his death long ago, that was on live TV at the time.

He's specifically chosen to do this on the national geographic channel because they'll allow him to do it without safety gear or nets.. the major networks insisted he use safety gear if he did it on any of their channels.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Found some good video footage of Nik...

Nik talks about his Grand Canyon tightrope walk...

Bird's eye view of Nik's Sarasota Skywalk:

World famous daredevil Nik Wallenda attempts to walk a high wire 180 feet above beautiful downtown Sarasota, Florida. This epic stunt comes on the heels of Nik's world record walk across Niagara Falls.

POV from Nik's Highwire Pole

Nik prepares for the Grand Canyon walk:

Daredevil Nik Wallenda prepares for his Grand Canyon tightrope walk by facing 91mph winds created by air boats. The boats were stationed either side of the acrobat as he walked along a high-wire in his hometown of Sarasota, Florida. Wallenda was tethered during the practice but when it comes to the real thing, he will be following family etiquette by not having a tether or safety net.

edit on 23-6-2013 by Murgatroid because: Added link

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
People are watching to see if he falls.. He usually uses a tether just in case.. This time might be his last, I doubt he cares..

He prefers NOT to use a tether, but the network usually insists on it .. that's why he went with national geographic this time.. they're allowing him to go without any safety equipment.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the post.
I will watch this.

This is real, not an illusion right?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Knowing my luck id get half way across and a bunch of birds would land on the wire and crap all over the it making it slippery.

I wonder if any birds have ever tried to land on his balancing poll in mid walk? lol

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
We all go sometime and I'd rather die doing what I love...

At least he's living in the moment....His moment.

Peace

Theres having fun, and then theres having fun. It is totaly idiotic. Ok he might be one of the best tightropers and come from a family of tightroper, but theres always the chance that something could go wrong. I dont think its worth the risk. Unless he knows something we dont, and hes sold his soul to the devil in return for eternal life.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join